Bi-Amping questions - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #11 of 20 Old 01-05-11, 11:17 AM
Re: Bi-Amping questions

Understood... so let me ask this...

Which would give anyone more volume? (presuming the speakers are rated for it and don't blow up!)

If we take a speaker as suggested above and do the following:

1. Remove said jumpers and apply say, 200 watts to the bottom end and 200 watts to the upper end or
2. Replace said jumpers and apply a 400 watt amp

Are you suggesting that the end result would be the SAME?

I would have speculated the 400 watt amp would give more power/headroom than the two 200's

Sponsored Links
post #12 of 20 Old 01-05-11, 11:22 AM

Dr. Who slipped in between my comment (it was not directed at you Dr. Who). Thanks for your input
post #13 of 20 Old 01-05-11, 11:36 AM
Elite Shackster

There you go! Thank you for the concise explanation. My previously limited and erroneous understanding has been greatly improved upon. It obviously remains limited. Thanks again.

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD, iTunes/BitPerfect
MacBook Air SuperDrive
Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD
Schiit Bifrost USB DAC
Emotiva ERC-1, USP-1 and 2 x UPA-1
Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa
Grado SR80i
Magnepan MMG Magnestand
Rythmik Audio F12
post #14 of 20 Old 01-05-11, 01:44 PM
Senior Shackster

For non-technical consumers, the way to acquire bi-amplified speakers is to buy active studio monitors. The difficult job of designing the electronic crossovers to give phase-coherence at the crossover frequency has been accomplished.

For the hobbyist or technical consumer, bi-amping is a great way to achieve significantly more power bandwidth from your equipment. Di- or tri-secting the bandwidth allows the amplifiers to avoid clipping and distortion products that would be spread from bass to treble frequencies without it. The drivers are directly connected to an amplifier and benefit from the greater damping ratio. Active crossovers can be fine tuned to tweak phase responses in ways that are not practical in passive crossovers.

To answer an early question about power sharing in bi-amped systems: Power adds quadratically in a wideband amplifier. So if a 1 W signal is present at bass frequencies, before a passive crossover, and I add a 1 W treble signal to that, I need a 4 W amplifier to reproduce this signal without clipping. The crossover splits the signal and two, 1 W signals will be reproduced, one at the woofer and one at the tweeter. In an active-crossover, bi-amplified system, the two signals are split before the power amplifier, so two, 1 W amplifiers are required to reproduce the two signals. So two, 1W amplifiers add up to be equivalent to a 4 W amplifier, in this example. Extending this to program material requires us to choose crossover frequencies so that the energy in the program is spread evenly. Unfortunately, program material is bass-heavy and an equal division is not possible in the best systems. So the bass amplifier has to be pretty big anyway. However, clipping in the bass amp will not spread to the midrange and treble, and this is a great advantage of bi-amplified systems with narrow-band power amplifiers.

Bi-amplified systems that use a passive crossover after the power amplifier achieve little or no advantage over single amplifiers.
post #15 of 20 Old 01-05-11, 03:16 PM

The scary thing is I followed most of that!
post #16 of 20 Old 01-06-11, 10:26 PM
My System

I run my system bi-amped and highly recommended if you can invest the time (I am still working on mine ).

But it is not a simple undertaking, so you need to be prepared to invest the time and do some engineering because you are essentially re-designing the speakers to some extent as you removed the passive cross over and replace it with the active crossover.

ESP has what I consider to be some very good info on bi-amping and explains the principles pretty well if anyone is interested:

There was some discussion here in this thread on the power that are explained pretty well here.

For what it is worth, my experience is largely documented here. As you can see I still have not posted my final crossover settings because I still have some pending experiments/tweaking I want to do that I have not gotten back to it yet, but I am extremely happy with the results.

I would also add that it is not just about more power providing higher volumes, but really allows the amplifier to control the driver which is improved when you eliminate the passive components between the amp and the driver.
post #17 of 20 Old 01-07-11, 09:01 AM
Elite Shackster
My System

You will get better results if you just use an external amp thats rated higher than what the speakers can handle and dont bother to bi-amp at all. Most of the time the "audible" difference you hear is just in your head or the fact the the receivers amps are simply not up to the task of driving them properly in the first place and you are hearing distortion caused by lack of power.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #18 of 20 Old 01-16-11, 11:05 AM
Senior Shackster

The difference you may notice w/ bi-amping using an AVR is going to be small, generally yielding better isolation between lows and highs. AVRs usually use one power supply for all the channels (not necessarily a robust one either), so the advantage you will notice will be similar to bi-wiring (again depending on the quality of your AVR).
A better bi-amping scenario will be to use a stereo amp for each speaker, therefore each speaker will be powered with it's own amp, for more robust sound and articulation, because only one of the 2 channels is powering the bass driver, therefore easing the demand on the stereo amps power supply. Even one mono block amp per channel is going to be an upgrade from and AVR.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-16-11, 03:00 PM

Also when you're biamping (with an active in the chain) you can mix/match various types of amps. I used to have a 100 watt McIntosh MC-2102 (tube power) amp on my top horns mated with a Crown K2 for my bottom horns.

Later I sold the McIntosh and used a Viva 300B SET tube amp for my top horn while still keeping the Crown K2's for my bottom. I couldn't crank things as much since the 300B pooped out around 15 watts instead of the near 400/500 that the Crown offered HOWEVER, when staying in the range of the 300B, it was a very sweet sound.

I actually noticed some more spatial cues with that amp than some of the other tube amps I had used.
post #20 of 20 Old 01-16-11, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who posted here.

In doing research on speakers I came across the following regards the impedance part of my question.

This is on the Jaton web site

Impedance 4 Ohms @ Single Amplification
8 Ohms @ Bi-Amplification

Some here have said that the impedance would not change. Why would the Jaton change form 4 to 8 if others do not.

The manual for my AVR says that the impedance should be from 6 to 16.

bi-amping , questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page