opinions on speaker choice - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 14 Old 01-05-11, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

opinions on speaker choice

So im thinking about getting some new HT speakers to replace my old paradigm's. right now i have a pair of paradigm legend v.3 towers and the matching cc-270 center. Great speakers in my opinion but those being my first and only set of ht speakers kind of leaves me in the dark, as thats all i've heard. I have been told by my local paradigm dealer that even if i upgrade to a better set of speakers, i probably wont hear much of a difference. ive been told speaker technology is very slow moving in that even in 10+ years u wont "hear" much of a difference unless u upgrade 2x to 3x the money spent on previous speakers. i dont really have the cash to spend to go 2x 3x the price of the paradigms i have right now. I think i got the towers (10+ years ago) for like 800 for the pair and maybe 200-300 for the center. the paradigm towers i have right now have 3 5 1/2 " drivers and 1 1"tweeter. the cabinet is set up as driver-port-driver on the lower half of the tower and the upper half as driver-tweeter. the center is set up as driver-tweeter-driver also 5 1/2" drivers and 1" tweeter.

i've been looking at four different speaker manufacturers and the one's that caught my eye the most were Emptek, Emotiva, Psb and Aperion audio.

more specifically from Emptek is the E55Ti towers and matching center
from Emotiva the 8.3 reference towers and matching center
from aperion audio the verus grand towers and matching center
from PSB audio the platinum T6 or T8 towers and matching center

i guess i could tell u my budget is 2k for towers and 500-600 for a matching center. dont get me wrong, i love music, but this is mostly for movie watching.

i already have 4 in-ceiling surrounds (the model # escapes me) from paradigm. the surrounds were purchased recently in the last year. Paradigm dealer told me the surrounds would most closely match the drivers in my paradigm towers for timbre matching.

any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-05-11, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: opinions on speaker choice

I forgot to add that i do have a sub already, a velodyne dls-4000r 12"sub for LFE. Its good but after some reading im thinking about getting 2 12" subs for the front. no such thing as too much bass right

i also have budget for an additional amp for the mains and center, been looking at the emotiva xpa-3 hardcore. it looks sexy in my opinion, so much power and at such a great price. i'll use my htr for the surrounds, i feel its capable as its a integra dtr-7.8.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-05-11, 11:02 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
I am a huge fan of PSB and if choosing between the two would definitely go PSB. They really have been on a roll lately garnering stellar reviews. I fear it is a result of now building their Speakers in China rather than Canada, but they use excellent drive units (tweeters, woofers) and seem to be using the savings in Labor by building even better speakers. The Bench Tests have been fantastic for their latest speakers.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #4 of 14 Old 01-05-11, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote: View Post
Hello,
I am a huge fan of PSB and if choosing between the two would definitely go PSB. They really have been on a roll lately garnering stellar reviews. I fear it is a result of now building their Speakers in China rather than Canada, but they use excellent drive units (tweeters, woofers) and seem to be using the savings in Labor by building even better speakers. The Bench Tests have been fantastic for their latest speakers.
Cheers,
JJ
have u auditioned any of the psb line or is this just from reviews u read?
between which two?

right now im really leaning toward the Emotiva's. Although the reviews on their speakers are scarce, i've seen many reviews on their amps and what not and leads me to believe that i cant go wrong with any product from the emotiva line. everybody just seems to love them for the product/price they bring to the table.

cheers, yelis300
post #5 of 14 Old 01-06-11, 01:07 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I'm in agreement with JJ on this one....of course I'm a little bias. I haven't had the chance to listen to T6 or T8 but I have heard a few from their other lines my personal favorites are Synchrony One's, Imagine T and the Image T6.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #6 of 14 Old 01-06-11, 11:35 AM
Banned!

Why are you looking to upgrade? Just looking for something new? As your dealer noted, and I agree, I don't know how much of a sonic difference the speakers you are looking at will present.

I didn't see where you noted your AVR. If you don't have an AVR that processes Dolby THD/DTS MA, I'd say your money would be spent best there, along with a blu-ray player and a Netflix Subscription.

A second sub would also help with bass impact in movies, but if you're going to go with 2 subs, using identical sub isthe best way to go (much easier to set up). If you're not entirely satisfied with your Velo, you might consider selling that and buying 2 new ones.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-06-11, 04:14 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
yelis300 wrote: View Post
have u auditioned any of the psb line or is this just from reviews u read?
between which two?

right now im really leaning toward the Emotiva's. Although the reviews on their speakers are scarce, i've seen many reviews on their amps and what not and leads me to believe that i cant go wrong with any product from the emotiva line. everybody just seems to love them for the product/price they bring to the table.

cheers, yelis300
Hello,
I have listened to all of the current line all the way up to the Synchrony Series and really have been astounded at just how good all of the current line sounds. I used to run PSB Stratus Silver i, Stratus CC, and Stratus Bronze i for my Home Theater Speakers and loved them.

This was in my early 20's when I was constantly changing Speakers literally every 6 months to a year. That being said, I did regret selling them when I did. I have also helped many friends put together HT's with PSB Image, Imagine, and Alpha Series as well.

I truly believe that Paul Barton is one of the most gifted Speaker Designers out there. PSB stands for Paul and his Wife Sue Barton. Their Speakers are on a very short list of conventional Speakers that I would consider switching from Electrostatic Speakers for.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #8 of 14 Old 01-06-11, 07:05 PM
Shackster

Smile Re: opinions on speaker choice

Vandersteen 2ce Sig $1995 & Vandy VCC-1 center $595. Or Revel Concerta F-12 $1500 & C-12 center $500. With your equipment you should run either easily.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-06-11, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

my avr does hd audio processing, so i dont need that, and a also got a new blu-ray player a few months ago so im good there.

maybe i should pass on the speakers and get myself a nice big amplifier for the speakers. Im certain id have sonic improvement.

and i could sell the velodyne for a matching set of subs
post #10 of 14 Old 01-07-11, 10:15 AM
Senior Shackster

It's funny how similar your research compares to the speakers I was also considering. I also considered Emotiva and Aperion. The 6.3 LCRs from Emotiva were also very attractive to me. I probably could have pushed the budget, but in the end, I found Emo and Aperion to be slightly outside my price range. (Would have loved to consider PSB, but I also assumed they'd be outside my price range as well).

You have the budget to consider all of these lines, and since I haven't heard the Emo, Aperion or PSB speakers, I would highly suggest you try any/all of these before you make a decision. You may find any of them to be better speakers than the EMPs.

I can speak on the EMPs, though and all that said, I feel quite confident that you'll not find better sounding speakers that look as beautifully as the EMP Impression line for their price. The E55Tis are phenominal for $800/pair. EMP is a sister company of RBH and coincidentally, one of the best sounding systems (not electrostatic) that I've ever heard was an RBH setup, so that had an obvious influence on my decision. EMP also offers a 30-day in home demo period (as does aperion), so I couldn't pass that offer up. They were such great speakers I decided to save the money and stick with them at the end of the 30 days. I got the entire Impression 5.1 system for less than the price of just a pair of Emo 8.3 towers and far less than the Grand Verus towers would have cost me.

Just some food for thought. I am not pushing the EMPs at all. I think you should buy the best speakers your money will buy. Honestly, they were my last choice of the speakers I was considering, but for the price, I still maintain they can't be beat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That....is the sound of inevitability....
That....is the sound of you upgrading your Home Theater....

Last edited by Cory Phoenix; 01-07-11 at 01:05 PM.