Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

what speakers to get

9K views 58 replies 6 participants last post by  Jungle Jack 
#1 ·
I'm in the middle of going from 5.1 to 2.1 and last thing i have to sell and replace are my polk rti70 towers. I do like the way these sound but my girlfriend hates the towers so i'm looking at bookshelf speakers. I would say my budget is $450 and for that I've found polk lsi7, paradigm mini monitors or titans v.5 and klipsch rb61or 51II. What do you guys think of these options? I will be doing 50/50 ht and music in a 12x12 room. Right now i would be powering them with my marantz sr6001 but if i can sell that i will be buying the HK 3490. All my low end will be handled by my sonosub with a css sdx10 that i'm in the middle of building. any suggestion would be appreciated, there is so much out there.

gregg

#5 ·
Hello,
I am quite fond of Paradigm as well. I would also look at PSB Speakers. DMC-Electronics.com has some excellent prices on PSB's. I would also look at used Focal, Dynaudio and new or used B&W.

Provided you have a quality Subwoofer, you could possibly even get a performance upgrade by going with Monitor sized Speakers that are of a higher quality than your Polks. I would definitely make sure whichever Speakers you choose are rated down to at least 80hz for seamless Subwoofer integration.
Cheers,
JJ

#6 ·
I should think that if you like your current Polk's you'd be quite pleased with the LSi7 and the Ring Radiator Tweeter is a plus . Of course Paradigm get a lot of positive reviews. Nothing wrong with the Klipsch either but many people find the horns to be fatiguing.
Big question is, have you auditioned any of them?

#8 ·
I will be going on monday to listen to some paradigm and klipsch at a local stereo shop. I have looked for a few b&w used but most of them seem to be stretching my price to the 500-550 range. I do like my polks but I also know I can do better. I went from an ok HTIB system to the rti70 so there was a huge difference to me. thanks for the input the research will be an ongoing process....

#14 ·
I'm not sure how easy you are to satisfy but with that said i think you'll have better luck buying Klipsch, as the Paradigms prices are pretty steep and with the budget you have mentiond you wouldn't even be able to get the Paradigm Monitor 7 floorstanders however you may be able to get the Titans which are a very nice bookshelf speaker that will play to obnoxious levels and still sound great.:T
Do you have a sub? (i missed it if you mentiond it).

#9 ·
One question I've got is

"why does the GF hate the towers?"

Because aesthetically, I can see how some towers look unattractive, and the RTI70s don't quite strike my fancy, but I also think bookshelves can look equally unappealing.

I think the EMP e5ti towers are very attractive looking.

And I would assume they sound great, since I own their big brother, the e55ti and think it sounds very smooth and natural at its price point.

#10 ·
Hello,
I am in total agreement about the Ring Radiator Tweeter that Polk used in the RTi's being top notch as it is employed in Speakers costing multiples more than the Polks. I was quite surprised when that Series was announced and Stereophile Reviewed the Polks praising them.

That actually factored in my thoughts to check out Focal, Dynaudio and other top notch Speaker Companies as the Polks will not be an easy act to follow.
Cheers,
JJ

#11 ·
all she sees is a big box taking up space. Little does she know the bookshelfs will be on stands so it's going to take up the same space. In the end she doesnt know what shes getting but it makes her happy to hear the towers will be gone. I agree with you, i think my speakers look real nice especially with the grill cover off. I'm taking this as an oppertunity to upgrade in sound quality and making her happy.

#17 ·
klipsch seem to be out based on response, i'm going to test the paradigm titans on monday and if i like them it's going to come between them and the lsi7's. and the reason for me keeping the polks in the picture is i own polk and i've heard the lsi7's, however if i find other options to listen to i will give those a shot before buying

#18 ·
Hello,
I would see if it was possible to get a deal on the Mini Monitor as it is closer in spec to the Polks you are looking at and are still if not in your budget, close. The Mini Monitor uses a good bit higher grade Drive Units and is well worth the added expense.
Cheers,
JJ

#20 ·
Yes. The Mini Monitors are part of the Monitor Series and are in a higher Range than the Titans. It will also have a more heavily braced Cabinet as well. It is a better Speaker.
Cheers,
JJ

#23 ·
Allthough having the same power ratings the Titans play lower and have a higher sensitivty rating along, of coarse with a bigger driver. I would say the Titan is the better speaker. What?, simply out of curiousity brings you to the conclusion that the Mini is better?:huh:

#22 · (Edited)
My reccomendation for bookshelf type speaker sare the Revel M12, Behringer 2030p, JBL LSR6325, Emotiva 6.3, and Ascend 340.

While I certainly hope you audition those paradigms, I just hope you give other products a look as well. I have never personally been wowed by paradigm's monitor series. I am intiogued by the signature reference stiff though.

#25 ·
Hello,
Whoops. The Titans are indeed the better Speaker. I am usually far more on the ball, but last night I had friends over watching a Movie and was "multitasking". For some bizarre reason, I had Atom on the Mind when speaking of the Titan.

Please believe this does not happen very often, but I genuinely made a mistake and was not reading as closely as I should have. My sincerest apologies for the confusion.
JJ

#32 ·
Your lucky that you are able to be able to muti task with company over, i simply must shut the laptop down or i'd be writing all kinds of mumbo jumbo.

You can be certain the JJ knows his stuff, as when he responded i think i had to check and recheck the info i was giving 10X just to be certain i wasn't misleading.:T

#27 ·
Hello,
With that being said, I would still look at new or used Focal, Dynaudio, B&W, and PSB Speakers. Especially if you live in a large Metro Area, Audiogon might have many used or demo Speakers that are available to you nearby.
Cheers,
JJ

#29 ·
Hello,
Speakers are decidedly a personal thing in respect to what you like. That being said, I personally prefer Focals over Paradigms. It is primarily the Inverted Dome Tweeters used by Focal that I think are right up there with Dynaudio's Esotec Tweeters for finest Tweeters available period.

Granted the 705 does not use the Beryllium Tweeter that upper range Focals use, but still is a fantastic Tweeter.
I wish there was a Focal Dealer in your area. I would also check out Ecoustics.com for Professional Reviews of Focals, Paradigms, and any other Speakers you might be interested in.
Cheers,
JJ

#31 ·
Hello,
I hope you enjoy the Mini Monitors. Paradigm makes excellent Speakers and they were the first pair of real Speakers I owned when I purchased Monitor 7's during my Freshmen Year in College. For that, Paradigms will always hold a special place in my heart.

A few years later, I purchased Reference 100's, Studio CC, Studio ADP's, and a PW2200 for my HT. This served me well for years until I sold them all to help fund my Martin Logan HT.
Cheers,
JJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.