Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Which Bi/Di-Pole Side surrounds?

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Theresa 
#1 ·
So I've been working on getting my home theater to as "perfect" as I can get it... until I decide to upgrade again.

Currently I have Jamo speakers all around, 5.1, S60 Center, S606 Mains and S602 rears.

I've been looking to upgrade to a 7.1 setup since I have the space and was wondering what you guys would recommend for Bi/Di-pole side surrounds that would blend pretty well with my current ones. Or any other suggestions.

Currently my seating position is 12/14 feet away from the screen, and roughly 11.5 feet from the front mains, and about 4.5-5.5 feet away from the rear surrounds. The two side walls are pretty close at 2.5 feet from seats closest to the wall, and about 5.5 feet from the main seat.

I was looking at some BP1.2X from Definitive Technology, and also the Jamo E8SUR.2.

My budget is currently around $300 and up to $600. I prefer to keep it closer to the low end though lol.

#2 ·
First off, welcome.
I think most people would likely recommend another pr. of S602 and that would be a good way to go. There really is no need for bi/di pole speakers with today's surround formats. Personally I still like them and use a hybrid bi/di in my set-up.
I'm not familiar with Jamo but, I'd look into the Jamo C80, should be able to pick up a pr. for right around $600 or maybe less with a little shopping.

#3 ·
Welcome to the Forum. Have fun. Dennis

#6 ·
zieglj01 said:
I agree with the S602 reccomendation.
I wish I had the kind of room you have to work with! I recently heard the definitives at a local magnolia store. I was intrigued by the size and thought they would fit in my living room better than my fx500i's. Size was great, but the sound was not as clear as I was expecting. I'm sure many factors were involved in the way they sounded, but based on what I heard there I wouldn't buy them. If you like your jamo's, stay with that line. At least you know they match

#8 ·
Sorry for interrupting in the thread since i am also a newbie :D around here . Myself i already have a 7.2 but i am changing also my surrounds for Bi/Dipole speakers . Those choices that you mentioned era great , after audition several speakers i decide to make the move on Axiom QS8 or 4 and they are on your price range .

#9 · (Edited)
Sorry for the long wait time. I definitely appreciate the advice.

I went ahead and found some Sapphire DiPole SS. They are dual 1" tweeters with a 6.5 or 5.5 inch mid. They sound really good as sides, very spacious and not localized at all.

After letting Auddyssey work it's magic, and reading the distances.. I was pretty much spot on with my guesses.
I'm not sure if im able to post a picture yet though lol.

#11 ·
Sorry for the long wait time. I definitely appreciate the advice.

I went ahead and found some Sapphire DiPole SS. They are dual 1" tweeters with a 6.5 or 5.5 inch mid. They sound really good as sides, very spacious and not localized at all.

After letting Auddyssey work it's magic, and reading the distances.. I was pretty much spot on with my guesses.
I'm not sure if im able to post a picture yet though lol.
Nice i had my eyes on the Paradigm ADP-390 but way out of my price range :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.