Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Surrounds, Inwalls or Dipole's

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  GranteedEV 
#1 ·
In my dedicated home theater I have Infinity Classia for the front soundstage , and RBH inwalls (A-616 models) for the rears. overall sound is very good but the surrounds could be better , but I just found a great deal on matching Classia C255ESBK dipoles and was thinking of changing them out , or at least trying them out. Do you think they would be a noticeable improvement over what I have installed now , I didn't use dipoles in the build process because i could not afford the $ 500 each for them.

should i change out the RBH A616's for the Infinity Classia C255ESBK Dipoles ???

here is the link to the pics and specs:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...s/38598-forrester-dedicated-home-theater.html

#2 ·
Hello,
I really think Dipoles will sound much better than In Walls so I would definitely give them a shot. I am quite fond of Dipoles in general for Surrounds even if both are free standing. Even better, you are matching all the Speakers. I really see no real downsides.
Cheers,
JJ

#3 ·
Personally I am not a fan of dipole THX surrounds. A well designed, well placed dipole main speaker IE electrostat or open baffle with the axis aimed towards you, sure, but the THX style surround speakers with the on axis null aimed at you are not imo the correct approach as this is not how movies/music are mixed, nor do these particular speakers normally have balanced timbral response. For all they supposedly add, they take a lot away. The assume all surround effects are rain and crickets, but in my experience surround effects are not only more than that, but not mixed for that type of speaker.

Before you try replacing your surround speakers, I suspect a better move would be to improve the room acoustics.

In other words, add broadband diffusion panels along the back wall and rear side walls, and rear ceiling (to improve the effect of spaciousness), and broadband absorption panels along the front wall (to prevent reflected surround information from coming from the front) - the folks at the room acoustics board can probably help you figure out just how much and where exactly. I think this will really bring your current system to its optimal level - especially if you do this with a measurements approach. This should bring your spaciousness to life while improving clarity.

Now regarding surround speakers, I would personally still be looking at monopole radiators - probably something with very even dispersion in all directions (so not an MTM). This would probably be a relatively nearfield omni like a Linkwitz Pluto / Mirage, or a coax like a Pioneer or KEF.

#4 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Hello,
I realize Dipoles can be polarizing, but I do believe they would sound better than In Walls. I realize that everyone has preferences on Speakers and indeed the natural Dipole Effect of Electrostatic and ESL Hybrid Speakers really is excellent for Surrounds.

When I first got my Vantages, I was using my old Paradigm Studio ADP's. When an opportunity to get a smoking deal on a pair of Vista's, words cannot describe the difference.
Cheers,
JJ

#10 ·
I don't think I would do either the Auralex or the OC703 in OP's room - at least not for the scenario i'm describing.

What OP is looking for is lots of surround spaciousness.

this would be obtained by QRD diffuser panels as far as I know. The aurelex foam does not seem to have the bandwidth and appears to be absorptive and the OC703 is of course going to deaden the room - the opposite of the goal!

Perhaps Absorption at bass traps (corners) and potentially first reflection points, but not at the back of the room, where we want a diffuse, lifelike sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.