Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Newbie saying hi with question

Tags
2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  smurphy522 
#1 ·
Hi to all
Firstly this forum seems just what I need looks like a great tree of knowledge lives here

Ok down to the question

I am looking for some kitchen speakers to mount from the wall or ceiling , as I am planning on putting them above wall units I have seen some JBL control 1 speakers just small monitor speakers as I am not sure on flush ceiling mounted speakers

Q2. What are your thoughts or has anyone got or done similar

#3 ·
Just looking for advice as my other half wants me to order speakers but I'm not sure if the ones I am thinking of will be effective in the positions I have in mind any help aprecited
Jay

I think I know how it should sound but not sure how if you know what I mean

#7 ·
If you angle them properly - they will work for the kitchen. They sound decent for casual
and background music.

#8 ·
Thanks to all on the input but the speakers I was looking at was jbl control 1 shelf / monitor speakers 121-150w 6ohm home cinema/ pc speakers thankfully it was a near miss
So am I right on saying they won't be suitable for home stereo
Or am I getting it all wrong ???

#9 ·
First, I have not heard these speakers myself. However, doing a search for JBL Control 1 reviews brings up a lot of positive comments although most of them do say that "they are good for the price you are paying".
If I was in the market for a setup to be used in the kitchen then I would definitely consider them.

Cheers,
Bill.

#11 ·
They will work with a small stereo system for music, or in a kitchen. They will work good
as surround speakers in a home theater system. Also, they can be used as PC speakers.
I would not use them, as front channel speakers in a home theater system. I use to own
them, they are nice for the price and can do well as kitchen speakers.

#12 ·
Ok thanks
I am open to suggestions on the start to my build
To refresh I am after a pair of speakers to go above kitchen wall units the speakers are to be 200mm(aprox )
And preferably in White and to be powered by home stereo amp
Thanks again to forum members for your advice
Jay

#13 ·
By only considering the JBL control 1's it seems you are not inclined to use a in ceiling pair. You mention 200mm (~10"), is that a height restriction? Ceiling or in-wall speakers are a great option. downside ins that they are somewhat permanent and will require running of speaker wire in the wall/ceiling. Sound wise would probably not be much of an improvement (in the same price range of the JBL offering). I have used the JBL N26AWII (in white) and with their 6" (150mm) driver they provide ample amounts of bass - more than enough for kitchen use. I would suggest, if you decide to go the in-wall/in-ceiling route you look at a 6" driver minimum to compensate for the lack of bass experienced with out an enclosure.

I currently use the Emotiva 8" in-ceiling speakers (UAC-8.2) in my kitchen with awesome results. My kitchen is huge though (480 sq ft) so these only do well for back ground use.

Remember that the typical kitchen is a very bright room acoustically - mostly hard surfaces. Keep that in mind when selecting a speaker. From what I can recall the JBL control speakers are quite bright (very accurate and defined in the treble region). I would suggest a mellower speaker - you must go and listen to evaluate what you will be happy with.

Good luck and let us know what is selected and how it works out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.