My 23 year old college speakers finally broke (Orig. Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble) Suggestions? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Manufactured Speakers | Subwoofers > Home Audio Speakers
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 2295 - Replies: 5  
Old 10-09-11, 10:21 AM   #1
Senior Shackster

Rancho
Since: Aug 2009
New Mexico
I started this thread.
My 23 year old college speakers finally broke (Orig. Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble) Suggestions?

The year was 1988, and the original Ensemble were two subs and 2 satellites. I was a poor, married college student who couldn't convince his wife to let him spend $500 on a speaker system. I had burned all my capital on convincing her to let me spend $200 on an entry level NAD receiver, but now I needed speakers too. Long story short: A college buddy joined the Marines and needed a sidearm. I traded him my Taurus .357 Magnum, for his motorcycle, sold the motorcycle and bought the speakers!

23 years later they are now in my family room, subs in the bottom of the armoir, and satellites mounted on the walls above and they are about shot (sputtering, etc)

I need a relatively inexpensive replacement. These speakers are pretty invisible with the subs being in the armoir, and satellites on the wall, so I know my wife won't want floor standing speakers. I'd prefer a sub/satellite system only because we do rock the house occasionally and we have gotten used to the bass.

If they are quality speakers, I would definitely go used.

Any ideas for replacements? Say in the $200 range?

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-11, 10:28 AM   #2
Senior Shackster

Since: Jun 2011
Texas
Re: My 23 year old college speakers finally broke (Orig. Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble) Suggestions?

If the subs are still good - then stretch the budget, and look at Infinity
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108PT5P...nfinity+primus

Who or Where, is The Way, Truth and Life?

Speakers - MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer - Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver - Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30

Old 10-09-11, 10:32 AM   #3
Senior Shackster

Rancho
New Mexico
I started this thread.
Re: My 23 year old college speakers finally broke (Orig. Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble) Suggestions?

If the subs were good, and I think I'd just prefer to replace them anyway, I don't know where I would put the extra three speakers. Thanks for the link though. They look great.

Old 10-09-11, 01:08 PM   #4
Senior Shackster

Since: Jun 2011
Texas

Quote:
Rancho5 wrote: View Post
I don't know where I would put the extra three speakers. They look great.
You can buy the speakers seperate.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ronics&x=0&y=0

Subwoofers will cost you more money.

Who or Where, is The Way, Truth and Life?

Speakers - MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer - Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver - Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30

Old 10-09-11, 01:50 PM   #5
Inactive

Ty
Since: Aug 2010
Panama City Fl

For that budget I recommend what I use in my zone 2 theater on a daily basis.

Scratch and dent pair for about $150 (likely minor blemishes and free shipping depending on your location). Stellar imaging and bass response but they are pretty large for a bookshelf speaker.

http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_108P...ty_p162&tp=186

Am40 wall mount also from crutchfield is what I use to mount them.

$70 for that.

Old 10-13-11, 11:24 AM   #6
Senior Shackster

Rancho
New Mexico
I started this thread.

Update: I don't think it's the speakers. I hooked up another speaker in place of the one that was crackling and when I turned on the receiver that one crackled too. It's an old Onkyo TX-810. Time to look for a receiver.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Manufactured Speakers | Subwoofers > Home Audio Speakers »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »