Official Pioneer Speaker Thread - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers!

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Manufactured Speakers | Subwoofers > Home Audio Speakers
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 2791 - Replies: 25  
Old 12-26-11, 01:00 PM   #1
Senior Shackster

Donnie
Since: Jan 2008
Miamisburg, Ohio - USA
My System
I started this thread.
Official Pioneer Speaker Owners Thread

Yes they do make speakers, I looked and didnt see one yet for Pioneers owners.

My current speakers,

SP-FS51-LR Floor Standing Speakers
SP-BS21-LR Bookshelf Speakers
SP-C21 Center Channel Speaker

All running through a VSX-816k Receiver.

Last edited by hyghwayman; 12-27-11 at 05:37 AM..

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-11, 01:48 PM   #2
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb
Since: Aug 2010
Calgary, Canada
Re: Official Pioneer Speaker Thread

Pioneer does make great speakers, but they lack anything in that $800 to $3000 range that i'm aware of, or at least anything designed by Andrew Jones.

The bottom end stuff is fantastic. Smart design choices like a directivity control waveguide and surprisingly good drivers in terms of power compression. I'm thinking of picking up a pair of FS51s myself just because they represent a great deal.

The high end stuff, the Pioneer EX line, is also just great. Again use of directivity control via waveguides on the magnesium coaxial cones, drivers with very good power handling and low distortion.

The Ultra-high end stuff, the TAD Compact Reference and TAD Reference, are probably my dream speakers. Dual 10" drivers mated to a 6.5" Magnesium coaxial, with a beryllium tweeter

Old 12-26-11, 01:58 PM   #3
Senior Shackster

Donnie
Miamisburg, Ohio - USA
My System
I started this thread.

Quote:
GranteedEV wrote: View Post
The Ultra-high end stuff, the TAD Compact Reference and TAD Reference, are probably my dream speakers. Dual 10" drivers mated to a 6.5" Magnesium coaxial, with a beryllium tweeter
Nuff Said

Old 12-26-11, 02:10 PM   #4
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit
Since: Feb 2011
New Orleans, LA

I actually got to speak with Mr. Jones about his entry into entry level and he said that was very proud of them. They presented him with a unique challenge in making a quality speaker at an affordable price. Thats manufacturing price and retail price. Dudes an amazing engineer to be able to squeeze performance like that into such a low price. To really get them to sing they need power.

It's unfortunate that most people will overlook them because of their lower sensitivity they don't A/B as well without changing the volume of the receiver.

Old 12-26-11, 04:52 PM   #5
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jack
Since: Jul 2009
Siesta Key, Florida

Wonderful idea. I have a feeling this is going to be a very popular Thread.

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer) Martin Logan Depth (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93, OPPO BDP-83 Pioneer BDP-05FD, Pioneer BDP-51FD, OPPO DV-980H, Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS3 60 gb, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910

Old 12-26-11, 10:59 PM   #6
Senior Shackster

Donnie
Miamisburg, Ohio - USA
My System
I started this thread.

Quote:
GranteedEV wrote: View Post
I'm thinking of picking up a pair of FS51s myself just because they represent a great deal.
I just hooked up my FS51s today and got to listen to a little Stevie Ray Vaughan & Eric Clapton it was beautiful

Old 12-31-11, 11:43 PM   #7

Since: Dec 2011
Largo, FL
My System

4 weeks previous, I picked up the FS51's, the C21 center, and the BS21 rears as part of the $284 Best Buy package. Two weeks ago, I was lucky enough to pick up two pairs of the BS41's when Woot had them for $89/pr. I may eventually move the 21's to my PC and use them there, then use the extra pair of 41's to jump to 7.1 from 5.1 surround.

I spent months researching speakers. I listened to Polk monitor 70's, the low end Infinity's, Klipsch Reference, some Jamo's, and lower end Energy (50's). My initial budget was $1K - $1.2K for the speakers, not including my sub.

I never even had the Pioneers on my radar until I kept seeing threads pop up on another forum with how impressed people were with them. I'd heard of Andrew Jones before, and have a buddy that has a 2.1 Kef setup I really love. Since the Pioneers could be bought local, I picked up the package from Best Buy to do an in-home audition.

I hooked them up to my Pioneer VSX-1121, put the FS51's about 2 feet off to each side of my TV toed in a smidge, ran MCACC, then I tested them with the gamut.

For music I hit them with everything from Tori Amos to Slipknot, Sinatra to Public Enemy, and Miles Davis to Five Finger Death Punch. Yeah, I've got eclectic taste. The low end on them is amazingly tight with great presence. I love that the upper end isn't harsh or fatiguing. I can leave them running for hours while working though the house. The upper mid-range is a little "hollower" than I personally like, but thanks to MCACC I was able to tune it in a little better for what I prefer.

For movies, I'm just flat out impressed. Everything I've thrown at it I've loved.

They're not the most efficient speakers at all, but when you're running all Pioneers and they're all timbre-matched, you just don't notice the little extra bump in power you have to give them to get them at the same output as some other brands.

Best. Money. Ever. Spent. Oh, and as the owner of a cat and a 4 year old, I love the metal grills. My wife loves the way they look, too.

Now I just need the low-end to round it out. For now, I think I'm just going to go with dual BIC F12's. We're buying a house next year with a basement, and I plan on building a pair of DIY subs, with each box holding dual opposed Dayton DVC 15's running off of a Behringer EP2000 with a MiniDSP handling the crossover & EQ'ing.

Old 01-01-12, 02:06 PM   #8
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb
Since: Aug 2010
Calgary, Canada

Stereophile reviewed the Compact Reference

http://www.stereophile.com/content/t...specifications

Don't underestimate us! Whether it be time, space, or alternate realities, they mean nothing to us! We will pierce the path and methods you've chosen! That is who we are!

Old 01-07-12, 05:59 PM   #9
Shackster

Since: May 2008

I absolutely love these speakers.

I bought the 51's and 41's and replaced my surrounds with them. They are an incredible value for the price.

I like them so much, I'm replacing my Acoustech Towers with them. Even though the Acoustechs are more powerful and have 8" woofers, they were never that great for music. These Pioneers sound great with both music and movies.

The newegg price is a steal. I hope they get the 51's back in, and I hope they add the center channel and -41s as well.

Old 09-11-13, 04:18 PM   #10
Senior Shackster

Donnie
Miamisburg, Ohio - USA
My System
I started this thread.

Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote: View Post
Wonderful idea. I have a feeling this is going to be a very popular Thread.
Hi Jack...
Unfortunately it appears this thread fell by the wayside which makes me sad but I'm hoping now that almost two years have past more members / owners will have had time to experience these jewels and be willing to post.

I'm going to try to restart this thread

Before these speakers came to market I was wanting to get the SVS SBS-01 5.1 system back in 2008 (You can see my very first post here at HTS) but that never happened due to one reason or another. Then in mid 2011 I started hearing about these Pioneer speakers and how good they where for the cost. It was then that I made up my mind I was going to save my pennies up to get the SP-PK51FS system.

By early 2012 I had myself the complete SP-PK51FS system minus the sub. I really wanted a sub made by SVS but settled for a Bic F12 due to my poor saving skillz . I believe I made a good choice going with the Bic instead of the Pio sub and the 1st movie that I watched which really got my attention was War Horse, when the horse calvary raced across the open field it nearly .

Today I'm thankful to say in May I acquired 1/2 of my dream from 2008, I won the SB13-Ultra sub from SVS here in the HTShack giveaway. To whoever owns or is planning to buy these Pioneer speakers made by Andrew Jones, you really owe it to yourself and these speakers to get the best sub you can afford. My Pioneer SP-PK51FS speakers took a huge leap in SQ after they got to play with a real sub. Don't worry about them not being able to keep up or match the Q of a good sub either because that is just not the case, a good sub will make these low cost speakers sing and then if you ever decide to upgrade to better speakers you'll already have a good sub!

Ok, I'm done for now and look forward to hearing from others about their experiences with Pioneer speakers or answer any questions others may have.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Manufactured Speakers | Subwoofers > Home Audio Speakers »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »