One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker - Page 13 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #121 of 357 Old 02-29-12, 05:58 PM
Senior Shackster

Could I get a few examples of more accurate speakers than the CM9's with an msrp under $3000 so I can add them to my list of speakers I would like to audition please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 357 Old 02-29-12, 06:24 PM
Shackster

My System
Re: One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker

Quote:
showcattleguy wrote: View Post
Could I get a few examples of more accurate speakers than the CM9's with an msrp under $3000 so I can add them to my list of speakers I would like to audition please
Personally I really like Focal. Polk is good too but I prefer the vintage (SDA/SRS stuff) over most of their current offerings but I digress... if you had said you were interested in saving money on buying 2nd hand I'd definitely recommend some larger Snell too or used Aerial Acoustics but even used these might be pushing your $3000 price point. Vandersteen would also be on my list if I were shopping. Linn Majik is a good line and I'd say audition some lower end Dali too if you have a dealer nearby...

But as for "accurate" you can buy speakers on published graphs or do what normal people do... go listen to them!

Just remember, listening to a speaker in a dealer's demo room is actually listening to the demo room with a speaker in it. Plan on hauling your favorite picks home with you for a few days.
post #123 of 357 Old 02-29-12, 07:12 PM
Senior Shackster

I'm not such a fan of focal I didn't think the 1038BE that my wife bought sounded all that great especially for an over $10000 pair of speakers especially when compared the the 802D's we have now . I have to do some research on the other brands you mentioned but I have auditioned Wharfedale jade 7, ML theos, golden ear triton 2, Theil 2.X (not sure the exact number), Polk LSI-M, Def Tech ST, B&W CM9, paradigm studio 100, focal 836W (I think), triad in-walls again not sure the specific one but I have emailed the installer to find out, and Aperion grand towers... all in my room except the inwalls of course and the B&W sounded best to my ear. Just my own experience but again I will see what I can do to audition the others that you mentioned. Thanks for the recomendatons I always look forward to auditioning new speakers.

post #124 of 357 Old 02-29-12, 07:15 PM
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

Quote:
To name a few that shoud be worth under 3K MSRP I'd certainly suggest auditioning:

JBL LSR especially 6332 (not to be confused with other JBL speakers found in big box stores)
Revel F12
Pioneer S4-EX
Genelec 8040A
KEF Q900 (Measurements. doshow that the treble might be a bit rough so you'd have to verify with your ears.. the R series speakers are on another level though)
ACA Trinity
RBH 1044-SE
PSB Imagine T
Procella P8
German Maestro HD-PF 200

Remember, being reasonably accurate doesn't mean in your room they will sound identical or be capable of the same SPLs or have the same resolution or throw the same soundstage. It does however mean grave issues are rather unlikely. Being accurate doesn't guaruntee you'll be immediately impressed by them in a showroom audition either, next to a lesser speaker with deeper bass or more treble or even preferred aesthetics.

Besides brick and mortar stuff, here's the Internet Direct speakers I'd love:

Philharmonic Audio
Salk Supercharged Songtowers (Okay, MSRP is $3300... Songtowers are around $1800 though)
Vapor Audio Aurora
Soundfield Audio Monitor 1
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower

DIY Kits

AudioArtistry CBT36 kit (prefab is $8500)
JohnK's Nao Note
Dennis Murphy's ER18MTM
Zaph's ZA5.5TT
Jeff Bagby's Mandolin
Redwoods (crossover by Paul Carmody)
GR Research N3

Don't underestimate us! Whether it be time, space, or alternate realities, they mean nothing to us! We will pierce the path and methods you've chosen! That is who we are!
post #125 of 357 Old 02-29-12, 08:07 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
I'm not such a fan of focal I didn't think the 1038BE that my wife bought sounded all that great especially for an over $10000 pair of speakers especially when compared the the 802D's we have now . I have to do some research on the other brands you mentioned but I have auditioned Wharfedale jade 7, ML theos, golden ear triton 2, Theil 2.X (not sure the exact number), Polk LSI-M, Def Tech ST, B&W CM9, paradigm studio 100, focal 836W (I think), triad in-walls again not sure the specific one but I have emailed the installer to find out, and Aperion grand towers... all in my room except the inwalls of course and the B&W sounded best to my ear. Just my own experience but again I will see what I can do to audition the others that you mentioned. Thanks for the recomendatons I always look forward to auditioning new speakers.
Most of my Focal experience has been older models, the Chorus 826v for example is one of those speakers I wish I had in my living room right now. Wharfedale hasn't impressed me since their factory burned down something like 30 years ago and they basically started over from scratch. I've never been impressed by Def Tech and I've owned quite a bit of it... just long enough to resell or throw away, in the case of stuff that broke. 802's are a good series for sure, I think superior for stereo in most rooms to the CM. Theil 2 series are ok but strangely make me want to hear a similar KEF for some reason. ML is love it or leave it. Like Maggies they just don't do it for me, but that's me. Aperion *should* be very good for the price range. I haven't heard the grand towers but have some of their smaller stuff. Well built, good sound, a lot of speaker for the money... Curiously, where did you hear them? I thought they only sold direct? You might not like Dali, I think they are similar to Focal in the same size brackets anyway, but I've enjoyed what I've heard.

Vandersteen is a love it or leave it too. Again, extremely good value with a fantastic sound, when placed and powered properly. They are one of the most finicky to place speakers I've ever played with and they are specifically designed for bi-amp/bi-wire for a reason. And Snell... one of my favorite speaker companies of all time, at least before they got bought out. Aerial Acoustics 10T might be difficult to squeeze under your $3000 mark, even used, but it's one of the speakers I am always on a look out for a sweet deal on... like drive 1000 miles to save $1000 on kind of sweet deal... they are THAT good, IMHO.
post #126 of 357 Old 03-01-12, 04:22 PM
Senior Shackster

I bought the Aperion grands and then sent them back under their return policy. It only cost me $125 or something like that for return shipping I thought they sounded very good but left something to be desired on lower frequencies esp The lion king with James earl Jones (his voice sounded off) and thunder effects in different movies and songs just didn't seem "real" to me but otherwise a very good speaker and one that looks sharp. $3000 isn't a set in stone budget either I just didn't want to get carried away like my significant other did. I was also looking for something that could be powered (for now) with a stout receiver until I get my separate amp squared away. I will have to look and see if aeriel has a dealer near me as I see people going on and on about the 20T
post #127 of 357 Old 03-01-12, 04:44 PM
Shackster

My System

Thanks for the short insight into the Aperion grand. It sure looks good! Oh, and the Aerials? You probably want to shop for the 10T (or smaller)... the 20T starts around $25,000.
post #128 of 357 Old 03-01-12, 04:59 PM
Senior Shackster

I doubt that would stop my wife as bad as it sounds. I really don't mean to pick on her but the longer I know her the more expensive her tastes seem to get.
post #129 of 357 Old 03-01-12, 06:34 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Energy RC70s are on for 400 each, and retailed almost 3K for a pair. Worth investigation. You don't need to spend 3K if you dont have to, to get the same quality.

HT (7.1): Yamaha RX-V565|Energy Take FPS X 3|V-S Surround X2|Take LCR X 2|DIY TRIO12|DIY SDX12|PS3|Wii|47" LG LCD|Bell Aliant FiberOp HDTV
Living Room (2.1): Yamaha RX-V863|Energy RC-70 X 2|Monitor Audio RX-w12|Turtle Beach Micro II USB Sound Card|Compaq Presario Laptop Newtworked for FLAC Streaming
post #130 of 357 Old 03-01-12, 06:50 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
I doubt that would stop my wife as bad as it sounds. I really don't mean to pick on her but the longer I know her the more expensive her tastes seem to get.
If her tastes lead you to the Aerial Acoustics 20T, you would be doing well. That is my favorite speaker, it's reputation is well deserved.

Might want to check out the ERA 14, Michael Kelly (Aerial) designed the drivers. The crossover spent a year in development.
http://signalpathint.com/index.php/Design-14-Series/

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks