Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

def tech, ascend acoustics, or other?

7K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Muzikal-JRNE 
#1 ·
I've got a patchwork home theater setup that i'm starting to try to upgrade. Currently I have an Onkyo 809, Bose 301's for L/R, a cheap Pioneer center, and some old KLH bookshelf surrounds. I want to start upgrading the speakers starting with the front L/R. I see that Newegg had Definitive Technologies BP8B on sale for 249 a piece. I also know some have recommended Ascend acoustics CMT-340's. They cost a bit more, but how would they compare? Are the Def Tech's outdated? I watch 60% movies, 30% games, 10% music (of course that could change with some good speakers). Of course anyone who wants to recommend something else in this price range, i'm more than willing to listen.

Thanks

#2 ·
Hi, Ascend makes some nice speakers IMO.

However for 60% movies, you might want to be looking at speakers that can handle a bit more dynamic output.

I recommend considering these:

http://emptek.com/e55ti_clearance.php

I'd honestly be confident to put them up with any tower speaker in the ~$800 to ~$1.4k range, and many higher than that range.

#6 ·
saucemstr said:
so it seems that the ascend acoustics would be the best then? How about the Arx A3's or Klipsch reference series?
For movies the Klipsch reference series are outstanding. As with any brand of speaker you should personally give them a listen as they're very user subjective. What I like you might not.

#8 ·
well, i waited a bit too late to give the emptek's a try and they are now out. So now i'm still open to opinions. I'm looking for front L/R to be around $500 a pair if possible. Willing to go up to about $750 for significant improvements. The ascend's are still an option, i'm trying to go around to hear some different brands locally at least.

#10 · (Edited)
I've owned Ascend Acoustics' CMT-340SE speakers and they are very-very good speakers for the money. I have not heard the EMT E55Ti but they have a good reputation for the money (about $250 more). I think the difference would come down to individual taste. What I have not heard mentioned is a subwoofer. Both of them are going to need the help of a good sub. Depending on room size you're going to be spending at least $500 (plus shipping) for a subwoofer worthy of either of those speakers, possibly more for a large room so keep that in mind when making up your budgets.

Another option is a set of Infinity Primus speakers. I like the Ascends a little bit better but you could pick up a pair of last year's P362 towers and a matching PC350 center and have a rocking system. That's 3.0 for less than the price of a 2.0 Ascend system. Again I like the CMT-340s a bit better but the Infinities are no slouches and you're saving about $250-300 price off this years models.

Klipsch are a completely different animals and are very much a love them or don't like them speaker. Some love them but many find the sound fatiguing after extended listening. You'll need to spend 45 minutes to an hour listing at fairly high volume to see if they're your thing or not.

#12 ·
I have actually owned both the Definitive Technology BP-8 and Ascend CMT-340 speakers.

You didn't specify weather you have a subwoofer or plan on getting one. If not, the BP-8 speakers have amazingly deep and solid bass (30Hz) for a speaker that size. The CMT-340 speakers have a clearer and less veiled sound then the BP-8 speakers. They both can play at (sane) loud levels. I would recommend getting a subwoofer now or in the future and crossing over your main speakers at 80Hz.

BTW... I upgraded from the BP-8s to the CMT-340s, and I have upgraded two more times since then :D

Cheers, Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.