Mirage OS3-FS with Emotiva XPA-3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Manufactured Speakers | Subwoofers > Home Audio Speakers
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 2574 - Replies: 14  
Old 03-02-12, 10:21 AM   #1
Shackster

ovillegas
Since: Jan 2012
United States
My System
I started this thread.
Mirage OS3-FS with Emotiva XPA-3

Hello,

A while ago I bought 2 Mirage OS3-FS (front) and 1 OS3-CC (center) for my home theater. I have a Yamaha RX-V765 for a receiver.

I am newbie when it comes to amps and speakers (I bought the mirage speakers ), so I was wondering if it was worth to add an Emotiva XPA-3 to my front speakers (2 front and center). Currently my receiver outputs 95w discrete per channel (or so Yamaha says) and the speakers are (rated?) for 175w. The website says:
Frequency Response 52 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 3dB
Nominal Impedence 8 Ohms
Power Handling 175 Watts
Recommended Amplifier Power 10 to 175 Wwatts
Impedance 4 Ohms minimum

I understand Emotiva XPA-3 outputs 200w.

As stated above, is it worth the $600-$700 to add the emotiva to my setup in terms of sound difference? I don't want to spend the money if the sound difference will be barely noticeable.

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-12, 10:54 AM   #2
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jim
Since: Apr 2009
Ohio
Re: Mirage OS3-FS with Emotiva XPA-3

Quote:
ovillegas wrote: View Post
Hello,
As stated above, is it worth the $600-$700 to add the emotiva to my setup in terms of sound difference? I don't want to spend the money if the sound difference will be barely noticeable.
Whether it's noticeable is highly subjective. I think most will say that dynamics are improved by a dedicated amp.

Will it be an improvement? Yes. Audible? Possibly.. Is the $600-$700 money well spent? I think so.
Emotiva makes some great amps. My feeling is that it's a good investment - and may easily outlast the speakers.

Old 03-02-12, 01:58 PM   #3
Shackster

ovillegas
United States
My System
I started this thread.

Thanks for the input.

Seems like I will give it a try. My current issue is that the speakers sound very clear when I'm listening to music at low volume (night time listening volume), I can distinguish every sound on the music. Once I turn the volume up (not blaring loud), the sounds start overlapping and does not sound very clear. I'm not saying it sounds awful, but it seems that the high range gets too mixed up with the mid range.

Old 03-02-12, 02:02 PM   #4
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jim
Since: Apr 2009
Ohio

First impression to me sounds like the AVR might be running out of some steam. I think the Mirages are pretty nice - so I can't see how they are the culprit. I know that sort of muddy behavior your talking about.

If you don't like the Emotiva, you can always return it - and you're just out the cost of shipping.

Old 03-02-12, 03:30 PM   #5
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jack
Since: Jul 2009
Siesta Key, Florida

Hello,
As Emotiva's use a good deal of gain, I think you will really notice the difference at low volumes. This was done both to impress new owners and to ensure it works with the broadest spectrum of AVR's. Some more High End amps require the Preamp Voltage to be a bit higher to get full power.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer) Martin Logan Depth (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93, OPPO BDP-83 Pioneer BDP-05FD, Pioneer BDP-51FD, OPPO DV-980H, Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS3 60 gb, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910

Old 03-02-12, 04:03 PM   #6
Shackster

Kenyon, MN
My System

I noticed quite a difference on my Klipsch speakers with the addition of a XPA-3. It really made them a lot more dynamic. My Onkyo seemed to have plenty of juice but I wanted to try an external amp. Very happy I did.

Klipsch RF-7II (Front), Klipsch RC-64II (Center), Klipsch RF-82II (Surrounds), Klipsch RS-62II (Rear), 2 JTR Captivator 2400's Powered By 2 CHT MQ600 Amps
Emotiva XPA-3
Denon AVR-4520ci
Oppo BDP 93
Xbox One
PS4
Panasonic TC-P60VT60

Old 03-02-12, 05:04 PM   #7
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jack
Siesta Key, Florida

Quote:
spurdarren wrote: View Post
I noticed quite a difference on my Klipsch speakers with the addition of a XPA-3. It really made them a lot more dynamic. My Onkyo seemed to have plenty of juice but I wanted to try an external amp. Very happy I did.
Hello,
While a big proponent of Outboard Amplification, with Speakers as efficient as yours, I truly think you are noticing the high amount of Gain from the Emotiva. Klipschs can play at Reference Levels with but a handful of Watts. Primarily by virtue of their Horn Loading, Klipschs are legendarily efficient. They even use the fact that their Speakers require so little power in their Marketing as being ecofriendly.

Regardless, it is wonderful to have an Amplifier for in the future, as you might decide to use Speakers that are far less efficient and drop to a much lower impedance. All I can say is after listening to the original Klipsch Horn being driven by an ultra low power SET (Single Ended Triode) Tube Amplifier that outputs under 10 Watts at around 100db's, I have always admired just how efficient Klipschs truly are.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer) Martin Logan Depth (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93, OPPO BDP-83 Pioneer BDP-05FD, Pioneer BDP-51FD, OPPO DV-980H, Panasonic DMP-BDT220

Old 03-02-12, 07:57 PM   #8
Senior Shackster
Gold Supporter

Since: Nov 2010
Ottawa, Canada
My System

Quote:
ovillegas wrote:
... is it worth the $600-$700 to add the emotiva to my setup in terms of sound difference? I don't want to spend the money if the sound difference will be barely noticeable.
Based on my (admittedly limited) experience - me adding a UPA-5 to my system, and my buddy (who has the same front three speakers) adding an XPA-3 to his system - you'll notice a difference at louder volume levels, but it won't be "night and day".

IMO, you'd be just as well served by a gently-used UPA-2 for your mains (w/ your AVR handling the center and surrounds), or a UPA-5 or older LPA-1 for your front three and surrounds (w/ your AVR handling rear surrounds, if any).

As always, YMMV.

Last edited by eljay; 03-03-12 at 12:35 PM..

Old 03-03-12, 11:53 AM   #9
Shackster

Kenyon, MN
My System

Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote: View Post
Hello,
While a big proponent of Outboard Amplification, with Speakers as efficient as yours, I truly think you are noticing the high amount of Gain from the Emotiva. Klipschs can play at Reference Levels with but a handful of Watts. Primarily by virtue of their Horn Loading, Klipschs are legendarily efficient. They even use the fact that their Speakers require so little power in their Marketing as being ecofriendly.

Regardless, it is wonderful to have an Amplifier for in the future, as you might decide to use Speakers that are far less efficient and drop to a much lower impedance. All I can say is after listening to the original Klipsch Horn being driven by an ultra low power SET (Single Ended Triode) Tube Amplifier that outputs under 10 Watts at around 100db's, I have always admired just how efficient Klipschs truly are.
Cheers,
JJ
Actually I have read that the 7II's do have a fair amount of impedance drop. On the Klipsch forums and another forum site that I will not name.

Klipsch RF-7II (Front), Klipsch RC-64II (Center), Klipsch RF-82II (Surrounds), Klipsch RS-62II (Rear), 2 JTR Captivator 2400's Powered By 2 CHT MQ600 Amps
Emotiva XPA-3
Denon AVR-4520ci
Oppo BDP 93
Xbox One
PS4
Panasonic TC-P60VT60

Old 03-03-12, 12:17 PM   #10
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jack
Siesta Key, Florida

Hello,
With an insane 101db efficiency, the RF-7's are a very easy Speaker to drive. I think this is a wonderful thing. The Avantgarde Uno is one of the best Speakers I have ever spent extensive time listening to as my Uncle owns a pair. It uses a huge Horn and is also over 100db efficient.

The RF-7's are an excellent Speaker with a very well braced Cabinet. I have never read that it had large impedance drops and is 8 ohm Nominal. If you have a friend with a non Emotiva Power Amplifier, I highly recommend hooking it up as the large amount of gain used by Emotiva gives the impression of unlimited power as it plays so much louder at low levels than pretty much every Amplifier I have owned or spent time with. That being said, aside from the XPA-1 and XPA-2, the other Emotiva's do not have notably large Transformers and Capacitance Banks. The XPA 1,2, and 5 actually all use the same 1.2 kVA Toroidal Transformer and the XPA-2 actually has the same amount of Capacitance as the 5 Channel XPA-5. The XPA-3 uses an 850 VA Toroidal Transformer and 45,000uf Capacitance.
Cheers,
JJ

HT

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Manufactured Speakers | Subwoofers > Home Audio Speakers »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »