Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Auditioned new speakers

Tags
auditioned
7K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  robsong 
#1 ·
Went out the last 2 weekends to audition speakers. These are the 3 speakers that I liked Paradigm SE, Monitor Audio Silver/Gold and Kef Q. So now I need input from members who have this speakers thanks. :dontknow:

#2 ·
All are nice speakers. IF all of them sound equal to you, then you will have to step up your shootout. Try different music if your listening to the series in stereo. Compare male and female vocals, snap of the snare drum, soundstage width.

Add a sub if you haven't already, different movies. Sit in different areas in the test room to experience what your guests my hear when sitting off center (if that is a possible senario).

In the end its what YOU (and your significant other if you have one) like the most.

#3 ·
Yes, all three make some fine speakers. I had some Monitor Audio Silver 5i a few years ago. I would not hesitate to recommend MA speakers, though I have not heard the new Silver RX line. I was really impressed with the C-CAM tweeter, the highs and mids were extremely good.

#4 ·
I own the Studio series from Paradigm and although they are the V3's they still satisfy my needs and when I was shopping I carried some of my favorite CD's and listened to each brand thats how I ended up with what I have. Preferably if you have been to the live performance and have said CD and can get as close to what your memory will allow you should be 95% there keeping in mind your room will play a big role in final delivery.

#9 ·
Have you considered something in the Martin Logan series. Ive heard several examples on up to the ElectroMotion ESL's. They (electrostat's) are really in a different class than traditional cone driver speakers.... Ive heard some of the Paradigm and Revel series as well and neither came close to the detail of the ESL's....and the Revel's F52's were way more expensive....As far as a musical reproduction I think you would have to go into the 5 figure range to outdo them...

#22 ·
I have not heard the SE's but don't think there sound quality will be that of the Studio's however i do not think you'll be disapointed by any of your choices.
I have had about every Paradigm speaker in there line up except the Sig's. currently i have the Studio 100's and they jam just as hard as the dicontinued model Monitor11 but with better clairity. I have not heard the SE's so i cannot give a comparison like i said though i do not think you'll be disapointed.:T

#32 ·
I think you will really enjoy the Q900's and out of the three you originally asked about I think I would have picked them too.
I have auditioned the Paradigm SE and the KEF Q900, never had the pleasure to listen to the Monitor Audio speakers.
The speakers are different from each other (obviously) but each sounded very good to my ear.
Nice clear midrange and highs with good definition, very easy to hear voices in each speaker.
The SE might have a little more forward sound and the Q900 maybe a smoother wider soundstage.
Bass was ok on both and while I used to think subwoofers were optional I have changed that opinion over the last 6 months.
The bass on the Q900 is good enough you will need a sub that has low frequency extension below 30Hz though so look to Hsu, Outlaw, Rythmik, and SVS.
Glad you did not get side tracked to the Martin Logans that was recommended, I know they have their fans but I am not one of them.
Enjoy your new speakers.

#33 ·
Thanks guys. I do have a sub and it's a HSU VTF15H so bass shouldn't be a problem. When I started looking at new speakers it was like looking at buying a new car. There are a lot of good speakers to pick from. I'll post pictures when I get them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.