Newbie help...Soundbar - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #1 of 8 Old 05-01-12, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Newbie help...Soundbar

First of, this is my first post. I've been reading tons of threads and have already gained a ton of info. Second, I completely understand that a soundbar will not replace a true 5.1 or 7.1 system.

My father is a true audiofile and cant understand why my wife doesn't agree with him that his mint condition JBL L300s would not match the decor of our livingroom. My livingroom is tiny and 5 speakers of any size would look obtrusive to my wife.

So, based on compromise, I'm allowed a soundbar and sub.

Currently, I am looking at the following systems:
Yamaha ysp-2200
H/k sb 16
Polk 6000

Any suggestions would definitely help.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 8 Old 05-01-12, 08:35 PM
Elite Shackster
My System
Re: Newbie help...Soundbar

Out of the three you listed, I like the H/K the best. I think the soundbar and sub is the largest of the three and would sound the best.
And welcome aboard the Shack !

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 8 Old 05-01-12, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

One thing I did not mention was the room set up. Tv and speakers will be in center of wall. The wall to the left is a half wall and has an enterence way furtherest from the speaker. The right wall is solid. The rear wall has an enterence in the middle.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-01-12, 10:17 PM
Senior Shackster

From your list - Harman Kardon

Who or Where, is The Way, Truth and Life?

Speakers - MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer - Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver - Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #5 of 8 Old 05-02-12, 11:13 AM
Elite Shackster
Dr Doan

Welcome to the Forum. Have fun. Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
SVSound MTS-02 Fronts, MCS-02 Center, SSS-01 surrounds, SBS-02 rear surrounds, (2) SVSound SB-13 Plus Subwoofers
AS-EQ1 Sub Equalizer (WOW!)
Onkyo TX-SR707 7.2 Receiver w/Audyssey XT
Insignia Blu Ray NS-WBRDVD3
Toshiba DVD Recorder w/HDMI
Direct TV DVR HD
BenQ W5000 projector. 91" screen. 15' x 11.8' vaulted ceiling dedicated HT room w/DIY sound absorption
post #6 of 8 Old 05-02-12, 01:04 PM
Senior Shackster
My System

Welcome, if you have questions or just love this stuff then you are in the right place, Welcome to HTS. I hope we can help you solve this one.

I don't know what it is about small speakers and girls..., women are a little more tolerable. Most of the female gender if left to their own devices will buy Micro Home Audio systems and even smaller speakers. My sister and her husband have had a Bose acoustimass 5.1 system since Bose hit the market. Well they just gave away the Bose system and have bought an "Energy" 5.1 speaker system.
Do not even bother with Bose. The sub never responds correctly but the little speakers are actually OK.

I know I'm ignoring the fact your wife says only a soundbar. However, I know women and girls actually want great sound. So I am suggesting you play this video from Crutchfield wherein two women expound on the blessings of an Energy Micro 5.1 System and having great sound everywhere in the room.

Each satellite speaker is 3.5"wide and 5" high and 4" deep. You can paint the speaker boxes the same color as the walls and wall mount these hide the wire in thin plastic self stick wire track again painted to hide.

Another idea is actually buying In-Wall speakers and snaking the wires thru the walls and again paint to hide it can look as unobtrusive as Central Air Conditioning.

But of course you can only present these ideas a little at a time. You cannot throw all of these ideas in the air at once. She will say no on principal alone.

OK I'll shut up now. This could take awhile but what is in your favor is, women really want to hear great detailed sound and even show off a little.

Have fun with it..., you may even learn a few things in the process.

We believe everything we tell ourselves..., don't we??
post #7 of 8 Old 05-02-12, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

thank yall for all the input. Unfortunaltey, I've tried every angle on this one and i'm out of lunch. My wife is an interior designer and the speakers definitely don't fit with her image of the room. I was leaning toward the h/k and I think i've made up my mind. I hate not being able to hear them before I buy them, but i guess that's what the new world has come too.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-03-12, 01:46 PM
Elite Shackster

Welcome to HTS. Wow, an Interior Designer for a Wife is definitely a difficult hurdle for having a proper HT. I would think In Wall's might be the best choice out of very limited options when/if your budget affords. Soundbars are a tough pill to swallow...

Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910

helpsoundbar , newbie

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page