Do I need to upgrade my speakers? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Manufactured Speakers | Subwoofers > Home Audio Speakers
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 1506 - Replies: 9  
Old 09-17-12, 03:34 PM   #1
Senior Shackster

Brock
Since: Sep 2008
Seattle, WA
I started this thread.
Do I need to upgrade my speakers?

So,

It has been a while since posting, and had a yearning question. I have a little background info, I have an Onkyo TX-SR876, and with it comes the Audyssey MultEQ XT; do the Polk R50's Towers (FL, FR) I am using need upgrading anymore?

Because I was thinking that the EQ on it should correct a majority of issues that the room, speakers and layout pose right?

At Reference Level, will these speakers hold up on most movies? Because to me they should, but the only thing limiting me from Reference Level on alot of movies is my Sub. Which leads me to think that the only component I am in need of upgrading almost ever should be the Sub.

1x Onkyo TX-SR876(Receiver)
1x Panasonic TH46PZ80U (TV)
1x Polk Audio CSi5 (Center Speaker)
2x Polk Audio RTi12 (Tower Speakers)
2x Polk Audio Rti6 (Surround Speakers)
1x KLH E-12DBN (Subwoofer)
Sony Playstation3 (Black Slim 250gb Edition)
Microsoft Xbox360 + HD-DVD player attachment + Kinect Camera
Sony Playstation2, Nintendo Gamecube, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo N64, Sega Dreamcast.

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-12, 05:17 PM   #2
Senior Shackster

Yoda
Since: Feb 2012
East of West, Canada
My System
Re: Do I need to upgrade my speakers?

It's hard to tell without knowing the size of your room, but I suspect your speakers are fine. FYI, Audyssey can only do so much. It will correct room acoustics shortcoming, providing proper speaker placement.

If I was to upgrade anything equipment wise, it would be a new sub (2 is better) and or the center.

So in other word, I agree with you that if you have cash burning a whole in your pocket, a sub is what I'd look at.

cheers

Old 09-17-12, 05:34 PM   #3
Senior Shackster

Brock
Seattle, WA
I started this thread.

Thats what I was thinking too, just wanted a bit more re-assurance on the subject.

Room is 11x16 with a 8ft ceiling

Polk CSi25 center
Polk R50 Fronts
Sony SS-U4030 Rears

The rears can handle it, cuz there is decent information sent to the rears, but..not enough for large rears. Was considering a Large Tower for a center eventually.

But with the towers should be capable of enough output at reference for no distortion right?

Sony Playstation2, Nintendo Gamecube, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo N64, Sega Dreamcast.

Old 09-17-12, 05:41 PM   #4
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Silly Girl!
Since: Jan 2009
Central AL

You know, asking the question "should I upgrade?" on a home theater forum will always get an answer, "well, yes."

That is the "problem" with this hobby - there is always an upgrade, but perhaps not as bad as PCs and certainly not iPhones

Hug your pet today!

Old 09-17-12, 05:47 PM   #5
Senior Shackster

Brock
Seattle, WA
I started this thread.

How about this

Because I have Audyssey, will I see(hear in this case) a noticeable difference, with some higher end speakers, after Re-EQing them with Audyssey.

Edit: I am refering the Higher End Speakers as the (C, F, R) Channels, not the sub.

Old 09-17-12, 08:04 PM   #6
Senior Shackster

Yoda
East of West, Canada
My System

Quote:
the_rookie wrote: View Post
Thats what I was thinking too, just wanted a bit more re-assurance on the subject.

Room is 11x16 with a 8ft ceiling

Polk CSi25 center
Polk R50 Fronts
Sony SS-U4030 Rears

The rears can handle it, cuz there is decent information sent to the rears, but..not enough for large rears. Was considering a Large Tower for a center eventually.

But with the towers should be capable of enough output at reference for no distortion right?
You're room is fairly small so I seriously doubt that distortion would be an issue. Your ears would probably bleed before that.

Quote:
hjones4841 wrote: View Post
You know, asking the question "should I upgrade?" on a home theater forum will always get an answer, "well, yes."

That is the "problem" with this hobby - there is always an upgrade, but perhaps not as bad as PCs and certainly not iPhones
agreed.

Quote:
the_rookie wrote: View Post
How about this

Because I have Audyssey, will I see(hear in this case) a noticeable difference, with some higher end speakers, after Re-EQing them with Audyssey.

Edit: I am refering the Higher End Speakers as the (C, F, R) Channels, not the sub.
Well that depends. I personally doubt but it's not to say you couldn't. To me, it's all about the room. That you have a $20 set of towers or a $10 000 set of towers in a square glass room, I think they'd both sound terrible until you treat the room. I am by no mean an acoustics expert but I'm reading and learning

Having said that, I'm going to come clean...I also started to look to upgrade my whole speaker set. The subpar center is my motivation of that. Will I "ear" a difference, probably, will it be placebo from seeing those shiny new speakers, probably, will it nourish my ego...yup

cheers

Old 09-17-12, 08:45 PM   #7
HTS Moderator

Joe
Since: Oct 2011
Madison, WI
My System

I agree - if I were to upgrade that system, the 1st thing I would go with is a new sub as well.

Old 09-17-12, 09:52 PM   #8
Senior Shackster
Silver Supporter

Greg
Since: Nov 2010
Farmingdale, Maine
My System

Just to add my two cents. Speaker technology has seen incredible growth in knowledge and understanding. Every manufacturer knows what materials and designs work best. There are new materials available for high dollars but many common materials are put to better use today than ever before. You do not have to spend thousands to buy a speaker that match your system and room needs and contribute to a very musical and satisfying listening experience for music or for theater.

Everything being in place and acceptable I would definately look at new speakers. However there are companies that have been producing very nice speakers using all the correct materials even by today's standards, my B&W's are 12 years. I almost bought newer Focal speakers but after hearing the B&W DM303's I bought 4 DM303's and still use the Focal 705's for rear surrounds

I have owned some very nice speakers but these inexpensive when new speakers sound best, better than Mission 765's, Celestion SL12's.

I say all that so I can say this with some relative authority. Buying a new sub is not like a regular speaker. It has only been in the more recent 4 or 5 years that subs have become a necessity in the AV system and manufacturers understand that system needs. You can buy a decent sub for 3 to 4 hundred dollars (2 to 3 demo's/sales). Subs playing below 20hz require more money because of an increase in power requirements.

There are many nice builds threads here at HTS there are a few builders that have gone professional and will gladly tell you everything they know. Some of their subs are very nicely priced all are very reasonable. But they can help you. Try Chase Home Theater if interested but here is a link to an HTS review.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...on-thread.html

Regards

We believe everything we tell ourselves..., don't we??

Old 09-17-12, 10:24 PM   #9
HTS Moderator

In the Home Theater
My System

I would ask... Are you happy with the way your system performs? If not then maybe you do want to upgrade part of your system. Unless of course you want to get on the upgrade every year train which I was on it for many years. Now I am older and don't have as much excess cash to do that.

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
3 JBL 2360 horns with EV DH1A drivers, and 1/4 pie bass bins, 4 Klipsch Heresy Industrial HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, 2 Danley SUPER SPUD subs, Yamaha P7000S, Denon 4520, Panasonic AE8000, and a Seymour AT 195" diagonal Scope screen.
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread

FS:Jamestown 134" screen http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post889081

Old 09-18-12, 07:21 AM   #10
Senior Shackster
Gold Supporter

Since: Nov 2010
Ottawa, Canada
My System

Quote:
... I have an Onkyo TX-SR876, and with it comes the Audyssey MultEQ XT; do the Polk R50's Towers (FL, FR) I am using need upgrading anymore?
. . .
At Reference Level, will these speakers hold up on most movies? Because to me they should, but the only thing limiting me from Reference Level on alot of movies is my Sub. Which leads me to think that the only component I am in need of upgrading almost ever should be the Sub.
IMO:
- Replace your sub.
- Calibrate your system (w/ Audyssey + tweaking).
- Give it a listen.

If, at the volume levels you normally listen to, you find that your speakers:
- sound strained / harsh / shrill / unpleasant in any way, replace them;
- sound great, keep 'em.

There's no point fixing what ain't broke.

Unless, of course, you have some cash lying around and you just feel like replacing your speakers. But that's another matter entirely.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Manufactured Speakers | Subwoofers > Home Audio Speakers »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »