Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

What speakers would you like to see in the $2,500 speakers evaluation event?

$2,500 Speaker Evaluation Event - Nominated Speakers Voting Poll

81K views 274 replies 110 participants last post by  AudiocRaver 
#1 ·
The speaker nominations for the $2,500 two-channel speaker evaluation event has been closed and the voting now begins. Thanks to all who nominated speakers... we certainly have a lot to choose from. Remember, that even if your favorite speakers do not get selected this round, they could be selected for a later round. We will likely take some of the higher voted speakers for the next round-up, so please vote regardless of whether you believe they will be included in this round or not.

We have NOT contacted all of these speaker manufacturers to see if they will participate, although we have contacted a few. If a speaker is voted in the top 4 and the manufacturer does not want to participate, we will go to the next highest vote getter. In case of a tie, Scoobie will be the tie breaking vote.

Votes are public and viewable.

This IS NOT the poll to select which speakers you think will be chosen by the panelists as their favorites. This poll is for deciding which speakers will be included in the evaluation event.

As previously stated, we are giving our sponsors first priority, so the SVS Ultras and the EP CS2P's are already selected for the evaluation event and both have already agreed to participate.

1. SVS Ultra Tower $2,000
2. Emerald Physics CS2P $3,000
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?

What other four speakers will make the cut?

No code has to be inserted here.*MSRP rounded to the nearest $100.

The average MSRP is approximately $2,500.

Maximum MSRP allowed is $3,000.

If you are not familiar with what the evaluation will consist of, please see The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results

Let the voting begin!

Voting will end on midnight of 9/30/13

See less See more
#3 ·
I guess I am the first to vote! I picked the 3 that I did because I would like to see how they fare against each other.

#4 ·
I voted for both of the speakers with the RAAL tweeters, very curious how they compare. I also have always like Dynaudio products, so that was my third. There are a LOT of good speakers on that list though, so the choice is pretty hard.

#6 ·
I voted for the Ascends with the RAAL, just to try to get one of the RAAL tweeters in the house... and they look more intimidating than the Salks.

I voted MartinLogans since I am really curios about those, being that I own ML's.

I voted on the Maggies because when I talked to Wendell at Magnepan today, he tells me the MG12's were definitely not big enough for my room and that the 1.7's shouldn't have an issue with the genie's voice on Three Wishes. He also said the bass is much better on these.

Doesn't look like my last two have a chance right now, but it's still early. If not this round, maybe they make the next.

#9 ·
I would be eager to hear what you guys have to say about the Ascends if you get em.

The MLs sounded good to me but the sweet spot was so small I would have to put my head in a vice to enjoy the sound. Any slight movement ruined the soundstage.

The 1.7s are still one of the best I've heard. But, I wonder if you have enough amp for them?

#7 ·
I had a hard time choosing, but I ended up voting for the Tekton, VR-22s, and Ascend. The Tekton have generated so much attention, good and bad, I was hoping to see them included. I had the Ascends and VR-22 on my short list when I was looking but never got to get them in my house. It looks dim, but hopefully some more folks will vote for the VR-22s. I would find it very interesting how a speaker from a company that sells super high end stuff sounds compared to the other, more well known offerings. The VR-22s really sounded good at RMAF.

#10 ·
The three I picked from the list in the poll were; Anthony Gallo Classico CL-4 / GT Audio Works GTA 1 / Tekton Seas Pendragon , for no other reason than I liked their names. Gallo = Space, GTA = game and I like Dragons :neener:

When I first looked at the choices in the poll and didn't see the SVS Ultra Towers on the list I was :yikes:, thinking they weren't going to be allowed in the evaluation because they would trounce the competition :dumbcrazy:, only to be rewarded for scrolling down further and seeing they already made the short list :clap:

#43 ·
The three I picked from the list in the poll were; Anthony Gallo Classico CL-4 / GT Audio Works GTA 1 / Tekton Seas Pendragon , for no other reason than I liked their names. Gallo = Space, GTA = game and I like Dragons :neener:

When I first looked at the choices in the poll and didn't see the SVS Ultra Towers on the list I was :yikes:, thinking they weren't going to be allowed in the evaluation because they would trounce the competition :dumbcrazy:, only to be rewarded for scrolling down further and seeing they already made the short list :clap:
Certainly don't want to start an issue but TROUNCE THE COMPETITION. There are some pretty good speakers in this group.

:)

#11 ·
Interested in what you think of the Philharmonics if they get in the contest...:T

#12 ·
This is a tough class. I voted for the Ascends, Salks Songtowers & Tekton Seas Pendragons. Curious to see how these ones compare.

#14 ·
I voted for the Salks, Tekton's, and Paradigms. The Salks mostly from the positive impressions of them from Joe while researching his speakers. The Tekton's from some online reading I had done and it seems people are impressed by them. I have heard the Paradigm studio 100's and Signatures in person and they're impressive.

#16 ·
Interesting voting so far. I am not surprised that Salk and Ascend have a lot of votes, although I was kind of hoping for some new blood. Still, it will be an awesome shootout. I can't think of speakers more different than the Songtowers vs. the Pendragons.

Wonder what the surprise speaker will be?

#17 ·
I voted for the Ascend Acoustics, Martin Logan's and the Tekton's.
I am thinking the SVS ultras will give them a run for their money so will see. looking forward to this :T

#18 · (Edited)
Wow, this is going to be tough! I've been reading about these speakers all morning. I want to hear more than just 3 of them, really!
That being said I narrowed the list to the ones that I think I would like to consider for my system. Considering many factors, my picks are:

1) Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower (RAAL Tweeter)
2) MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL
3) Salk Songtowers RT (RAAL Tweeter)

I must admit, I'm impressed with those RAAL Tweeters, and I have to see how they compare to the ML's panel.
And even more than that, how they compare to the ARX A5's that we picked in the last shootout.

#20 ·
Hey Sonnie,

I saw that, & I like the way you are taking care of the sponsors. I'm also hoping I know what the suprise speakers are going to be. I think I have it narrowed down to two of our sponsors, man I hate/love surprises!!!

It may become necessary to dole out a few hints as we go!

#25 ·
I voted for the Salk and Ascend due to them both sharing the same tweeter so the crossover implementation will be a key to how they sound (similar or dissimilar). Also chose the Paradigms as I've love 'digms forever and would like to see how they stack against the ID stuff. I've heard the Salk's but not with that tweeter and was very impressed by them!

Scott

#28 ·
I was gone for a hour or so and the count has really changed as to the top contenders!

#30 ·
I voted for 3 that I would be very interested in, BUT and there always is a BUT, I would drop either one of them to add the SVS (IF) they are one of the later entries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.