Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

What speakers would you like to see in the $2,500 speakers evaluation event?

$2,500 Speaker Evaluation Event - Nominated Speakers Voting Poll

81K views 274 replies 110 participants last post by  AudiocRaver 
#1 ·
The speaker nominations for the $2,500 two-channel speaker evaluation event has been closed and the voting now begins. Thanks to all who nominated speakers... we certainly have a lot to choose from. Remember, that even if your favorite speakers do not get selected this round, they could be selected for a later round. We will likely take some of the higher voted speakers for the next round-up, so please vote regardless of whether you believe they will be included in this round or not.

We have NOT contacted all of these speaker manufacturers to see if they will participate, although we have contacted a few. If a speaker is voted in the top 4 and the manufacturer does not want to participate, we will go to the next highest vote getter. In case of a tie, Scoobie will be the tie breaking vote.

Votes are public and viewable.

This IS NOT the poll to select which speakers you think will be chosen by the panelists as their favorites. This poll is for deciding which speakers will be included in the evaluation event.

As previously stated, we are giving our sponsors first priority, so the SVS Ultras and the EP CS2P's are already selected for the evaluation event and both have already agreed to participate.

1. SVS Ultra Tower $2,000
2. Emerald Physics CS2P $3,000
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?

What other four speakers will make the cut?

No code has to be inserted here.*MSRP rounded to the nearest $100.

The average MSRP is approximately $2,500.

Maximum MSRP allowed is $3,000.

If you are not familiar with what the evaluation will consist of, please see The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results

Let the voting begin!

Voting will end on midnight of 9/30/13

See less See more
#74 ·
You just missed the first post is all... $4,000/pair is a bit out of the $2,500 average. We capped it at $3,000 MSRP.

Any reason why B&W CM9's aren't included? I know they're $3,000/pair, but a couple others in the list were the same price.

I'm really just curious to know why they aren't in the list. Not good enough?
Can only get them in piano black and I only wanted non-sheen black speakers just in case I decide to keep a pair. Later on when it don't matter, we can get whatever finish there is... won't matter then. This will not be the only round.

#70 ·
I voted for the Von Schweikert VR-22 Since I have owned the VR-4 MKII for close to 10 years now even though I have tried in vain to replace them on numerous occasions. I am curious to hear what Albert has come up with since.

I voted for the Magnepan 1.7 since at one point in time I owned the 1.6 and thought they were great speakers for music so it would be fun to see the new version in an evaluation.

The Tekton Seas Pendragon I have had the pleasure of listening to at a friends house a few times and think it is an excellent speaker. I think it would be great to see how it compares to others.

I guess I just picked speakers that I have experienced and was impressed with what these manufacturers can produce.

If I could add a speaker to the line-up I would really like to see how the Triad Gold LCR's stack up. I run the older versions in my theater and love them, I hear the new version is even better.

#72 ·
New member here...still reading all the fine threads on the Forum.

My vote was a bit biased...I have the Ascend Towers with RAALs. I was looking at some of the other speakers on the list so I voted for my other top Two. Golden Ear and Salk Towers.

One major item that swayed me from the Goldenear speakers was their much smaller and less powerful surround speakers. All of mine (all 9) are all Ascend Acoustics speakers for matching tonality.

I was not able to hear the Salks so this will be interesting if they get into the final 6 for testing.

#75 ·
We did include them in the first evaluation, but they are discontinuing all of their current models in the price range we are evaluating, so we figured we would wait on the new models and maybe get them included for voting on the next round.

#77 ·
It is a multiple choice poll... did you try to vote for more than one? I don't think anyone else has had any problems. If it were a problem in the system it would effect everyone, not just one user.

You likely got the email after you had voted.

#82 ·
I picked the Canton and Tannoy speakers for selfish reasons. My local dealer sells them so I can compare your results to something I can hear with my own ears.

I picked the Von Schweikert speakers because I've seen people rave about them on Audiogon and am interested in your opinion of these.

I do question your sanity having another test so soon after the first marathon session.

Thanks for the work!

#97 ·
A couple of others that we need to consider for the next round are the Bamberg Series 2 TMM ... and Pi Speakers... both would be very interesting additions.

I do question your sanity having another test so soon after the first marathon session.
I have never tried heroin, but suspect it is along the same lines... we are now addicted and we have just GOT to have a fix. As Wayne asked after we started these gigs... "And people need drugs?" Seriously... it is the best high there is... and it last for a full couple of days. The anxiousness leading up to it is a high. Of course getting to keep the speakers in my home after the event is a lingering high.

i wonder why you don´t add the " Funktion One " brand to the contest , i my opinion is the best tech for audio design:
Those look like commercial speakers for commercial use.

Sad to see that there is not a Klipsch option in there. Don't know what groupings are being combined for the $2500 number, but would love to see the Klipsch RF-7ii series in there.
The RF-7's were considered, but we capped the MSRP at $3,000... so they did not make the cut.

Would like to see Seaton Catalyst, BF David, JTR Noesis, Geddes Abbey (or pref. Summa), whatever Revels you can get in that price range, Parts Express/Audio Artistry CBT36K.
We need to get them in on the nominations next time, although we did look at Revels and they don't have any in that range. The JTR's require stands, which is an additional expense that may put them over the $3,000 cap... but not sure. I am not familiar with the others, but if they fit the qualifications, we can certainly include them in the next round of voting. We also have to consider if they will be willing to participate. Some will pony up... some will run and hide.

Also would like to see fully blinded testing with single speakers (mono).
I am not sure what purpose this will serve. Who listens to one speaker in mono? Enlighten me... with all seriousness.

I'd also still like to know why we build castles in the sky.
It's a secret!

#88 ·
Hi Sonnie!
(In order to thank you for my waking up from an early hibernation:blink:) I just voted (for the Tannoy, as it's the only brand I know of, not in a context of HT, moreover! but in a general way, I used to like the very natural and balanced sound of these speakers; so I would be interested to read a few comments)
Thanks
geger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.