The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 15 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #141 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 12:51 PM
My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

I love these type of threads and competition. I believe this greatly helps people decide what to buy as it is an equal comparison which is hard to do especially at the higher priced levels. I appreciate the level of detail and effort that goes into this type of work and am looking forward to the results.
Sponsored Links
post #142 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator
I'm a redneck!
My System

needspeed52 wrote: View Post
Well done guys with the $2500 comparison, is it true that the ARX5 will also be there? This what I heard.
Yep... you heard correctly.

callas01 wrote: View Post
i think one of the most interesting things about this multi-speaker review is that all these speakers offer something different and will appeal to a wide audience. I also think that when you get to this price range, there certainly aren't any losers, there are just varying degrees of winners.
Agree... and as far as anticipation, this is what I anticipate... all very good speakers that will all will have enthusiast that will like them over the other.

Magnepan - a full range ribbon speaker... if im understanding that right? very interesting.
Yes... full range.

Martin logan - electrostat speakers, with 8" woofer. that appears not to use a crossover

colofan wrote: View Post
Maybe covered elsewhere but in a multi channel setup of HT interested also in differences in seating position and how that affects performance. If you optomize around the center seat that can be a lonely place
For home theater I have tested optimizing for the primary listening position vs optimizing for 3 vs optimizing for 7. For me there was not enough improvement in the other positions to make it worth NOT optimizing for the PLP. You improve one seat, make another worse... it is never ending with multiple seats being optimized. However, that could be different for others... just my experience in my room. I keep it optimized for the PLP since I am the only one in there 99% of the time. You could save a couple of setups though... if your processor or receiver allows for it. One for PLP and one for multiple when you have company.

My Self wrote: View Post
What I also like is the idea of converting a 2 car garage into a home theater.
Will work on the wife...
Buy her a new car... works EVERY time!!!

peter5992 wrote: View Post
Three questions / comments:
  1. What music / movies are you going to listen to as reference material? Are you going to be watching any movies at all, are video displays part of the test as well, or is it just audio?
  2. Most speakers / room setups require a careful positioning of the speakers to get optimal flat frequency response (that is somewhat dependent on the size and construction of the room, but it's the norm for professional studios). Are you going to be moving the speakers in different places to get the sweet spot for each of them? I assume they are pretty heavy, it's not going to be easy hauling that stuff around.
  3. For reference material I'd recommend to at least include the Sony Classical recording of Bartok's Concierto for Orchestra, a very fine recording on Super Audio CD. For movies, Wall-E has a spectacularly good sound design.
We have not selected all of the music yet, still nailing it down. Basically a short compilation of clips from various songs... then 3 songs selected by each of us on the evaluation panel.

For movies each night... we have ideas, but still not fully selected yet. We will probably decide each night... maybe draw straws for each one we like. The two-channel speakers will have our full attention during the day on Friday and Saturday. The 5.0 home theater system will get our time later at night.

Thanks for the suggestions, we can consider those.

Nothing real heavy... and yes... we get pretty serious about optimal placement (see our previous $1,000 evaluation - link in my sig).

Tony~M wrote: View Post
I would love to see something similar in the $1,000 and $500 and under categories for us budget minded folks.
Check out the link to our $1,000 evaluation in my signature.

Josuah wrote: View Post
When I had Magnepan speakers, I preferred the tighter sound I could get out of them by placing some acoustic absorption panels behind them. I believe this allowed the immediate rear wave to still do its magic of interference with the forward wave to focus the sound, while reducing the effect of a reflected wave off the surfaces behind the speaker.

Would you consider doing the same during your review, to see what people think of this? I imagine it would also apply to the Martin Logan, although I suspect it might have a different effect given its planar surface is curved.

Flat planars are also very sensitive to toe-in, since moving your head off-axis immediately impacts the sound. Some will prefer different degrees of toe-in, so I think that's also something worth including in your review sessions.
We did try placing acoustic panels behind the Magnepans we had in the previous evaluation, but it made them worse, as it did with other speakers we tried. The room is setup pretty well acoustically, so that should not be an issue... and we go to extremes to get the right placement for each speaker.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #143 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 01:23 PM
Senior Shackster

Thius is a great idea with a simple twist! I was struck by how many people missed the opening line of Sonny's post saying that this wasn't a shoot out. With that in mind, the whole "which speaker is better/best" and"blind test methodology" tiresome arguments are eliminated and time can be better spent simply understanding the pluses and minuses of the performance of each speaker on it's own merits without ranking them. How cool is THAT????

Being able is hear what is essentially a group of independent reviews from some folks who have some pretty good knowledge of audio that can pass on their evaluations should allow for some excellent decision-making relative to high level speakers that may not otherwise have input available.

What a fantastically clever idea! Kudos to Sonnie for this approach. Can't wait to read the output.

post #144 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 01:39 PM
Senior Shackster
For a music suggestion please invest the 4:56 to check out "Shock" by John Tesh. My #1 instrumental go-to test track.

Tons of respect for your review panel. We are all looking forward to your careful analysis. I for one would like to read a brief pre-review stating what each reviewer is expecting. Posted before the event of course. Which speakers have you previously experienced, what favourites do you have? Some will parrot on about "expectation bias", but that pop psychology can't stand up in the face of men with integrity willing to say "Hey, I was wrong. Brand X surprised me, and Brand Y didn't live up to my overblown expectations"

People think I'm strange, does it make me a stranger?
post #145 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 01:41 PM
Senior Shackster

I am very excited to read about first impressions and over all performance of the MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL units. They look impressive and the specs speak for themselves and paired with an already proven Oppo for the source and Anthem Amp to drive them I can only imagine these would be as close to audio nirvana as one can get. I just wish I lived closer to you guys so I can share in the fun. Just for fun can you guys test some 96/24 or higher bit rate vinyl rips? You choose the records.

Last edited by ericzim; 10-19-13 at 01:51 PM.
post #146 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 01:42 PM

very interested in seeing the results of this Audition/Evaluation Event...I bought my first pair of home theater speakers a little over 2 years ago and now I'm hooked on current speakers aren't crazy high end but they are great for someone like me who was starting out (Aperion 5T towers, center, and bipole/dipole surrounds)...the Aperion speakers are pretty impressive in their own is definitely 50% of the experience and maybe even more...adds a whole other dimension to a movie...Pacific Rim sounded amazing on Blu-ray

lots of excellent speakers at the event and it will be interesting to see how they all fare...can't wait to see what demo material you guys bring to test the equipment as well...might even help me upgrade
post #147 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 01:44 PM
Senior Shackster
Vin Vendel

Sonnie wrote: View Post

Vin Vendel wrote: View Post
You could go even further and not tell which speaker it is playing and let the listeners go in blindfolded and write down hearingimpressions after each listening. In that way the brain canīt add attributes to the speaker they have read articles about.

That is actually a good idea, although it might get time consuming. I thought I would have some bias towards some speakers in our last shootout. For example... never read anything but good about Vandersteen and fully expected them to do VERY well in the evaluation, however, while not bad, they were not nearly as good as the others.
Yes I guess it would take to much time maybe could work as an introduction with one song with good dynamics, instrumental separation and variation.
post #148 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 02:00 PM
Senior Shackster
I am so excited. You guys really now how to get me hooked on threads. I wish I could attend it in person. I still need to buy some front and center Chanel speakers for my HT room and was planning on getting some RSL's based on the reviews. Then along came the $1000 speaker shoot out on here which made me hold off. Now along comes the $2500 shoot out.
In the test, you guys loved the ARX's with the ribbon tweeter so much that I am now leaning toward them but I want to see the $2500 results. I really love the look of the SVS Ultras's and love love my PB12 from them.
I am just excited for this event. Thanks so much for doing this for us.
post #149 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 02:31 PM

I look forward to what will be coming out of this. I'm not in the market myself at this price bracket, but it will be interesting to hear (!) what the reviewers find out.

I hope there will be a variety of music being listened too, especially something with dynamics in it. The beginning of Stravinsky's Sacre du Printemps would be a good one.
post #150 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 02:50 PM

Great idea, a really nice budget, and a great variation of speakers.

Flatpannels v.s. boxes, i'm glad I don't have to choose the winner here, good luck guys.

$2 , 500 , audition , evaluation , event , home , official , speaker

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page