The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 16 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #151 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 03:03 PM
Elite Shackster
My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

I am incredibly interested in seeing the results of this evaluation. The previous $1000 speaker eval was a hit and definitely a useful guide to those looking in that budget range. I'm curious to see how the emerald physics and SVS speakers do compared to the rest. I've heard the rest of them, but just not those two!

I value every one of the four reviewers opinions and look forward to hearing impressions after the event has taken place!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
Sponsored Links
post #152 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 03:15 PM
Senior Shackster

I was scarred as a youth reading Audiophile and other like magazines. The floofy, subjective wording (complete even with made up words) to describe speakers and equipment sound never sat well with my scientific mind (including reviews of 6ft silver power cables that somehow improved the "sound" of the 60ft of copper to the fuse box). And it's very hard to map their lab measurements to what something would sound like (even with the accompanying subjective wording). They would compare everything to their $50K reference system, but that's not the same as comparing to other same-level components.

*Shootout* is how sound is supposed to be compared! I posted a link to the $1K shootout on my FB page and declared it the best speaker review I had ever read.

I'm really excited about this $2.5K level. This is where I live, personally (Sonus Faber Concerto's). Arrrreeee you ready to rummmmmmmmmble?????

Thanks guys, have fun!
--Myles(Wooderson - I do love those redheads)
post #153 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 03:21 PM

I love the idea and only wish this was a little closer to me. I'm a SVS fan and would like to see how they compare to a few of the other speakers in this group. I think for most of us with a dedicated theater setup a $2500 investment is speakers is not out of line....$25,000 yes. I look forward to seeing the results.
post #154 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 03:40 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
My System

This shootout will be the best one so far in my opinion... The $2500 speaker is a very good price point for a pair of speakers for a home stereo setup. While it may not be the best, it is a price point that a lot more people can afford than the exotic speakers seen in some of the magazines (although the exotics are nice to hear... Even if it is just to hear the absolute best money can buy). I would like to see more shootouts in the future too. Some suggestions would be:
1: DIY speakers (if someone can get them to Sonnie) compared to the best of the shootout speakers
2: Pro speakers compared to the best of the shootout
3: Powered speakers compared to the best of the shootout speakers
4: Video flat panels and projectors

I wish that I lived closer, and was able to attend the shootout to listen to all the different speakers in the shootout. This will be a excellent opportunity to evaluate all the speakers in a environment that is optimized for each speaker (unlike the environment most people hear the speakers in when they are evaluating), and much more like they will have in their own home.

Once again we see what makes HTS so much better than the other forums. Thanks again Sonnie, and the Sponsors for making this happen.

Patiently awaiting results.

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread

Last edited by ellisr63; 10-19-13 at 05:06 PM.
post #155 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 04:13 PM

I was about to pull the trigger on the $1000 winner when I see the $2500 Evaluation getting ready to take shape. I think I'll wait for the results and try and get by on my old Infinity speakers from the 80's. In my area there just isn't anywhere to audition so this type of thing takes all the guess work out of it. Thanks guys...I know its a burden
post #156 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 04:57 PM
Senior Shackster

I'm REALLY looking forward to reading the results of this shootout! The first one with the $1,000 max was very well done and I found it very interesting the ARX won out. There is such a broad range of speakers in this evaluation not just from looks but driver materials, tweeter materials, DSP, etc. I've gotta be honest, I am really the most interested in the Emerald Physics speakers! They're so interesting and not many others similar to them to compare to. Next to the Emerald Physics, I'm very curious how the SVS' compare to the Paradigms. I've always been a big Paradigm fan so this will be really interesting to read.

Thanks for taking the time/money/energy to get this all put together, its definitely appreciated!

post #157 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 05:49 PM

I'm looking forward to the results. It's just as well this isn't going to be a shootout with us guessing which one will win. I was in the minority with the $1,000 shootout and my pic wasn't even in the running. Then, of the three I voted for for this comparison, none of them made it in the first round. This way I can just sit back and enjoy the reports.

This type of comparison can provide some really useful insights. It is all well and good to read individual reviews of different speakers but the one question that is almost never addresses is "how did it sound in comparison to XYZ speaker?"
post #158 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 05:52 PM
My System
Thumbs up Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Yes! This looks set to be really useful. What a great and diverse selection of speakers - the voting process has worked a treat (and my main nominees made it into the selection, so how could I think otherwise?). The room is superb, the other system components shouldn't introduce significant limitations, and you are being appropriately fastidious to optimize the placement of each pair under test before starting. Will be interested to see your test program material, and really hoping there will be at least one superbly recorded classical piece included. If you can't decide on one, I'd be very happy to make a suggestion.

post #159 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 06:07 PM

Good to see "real world" evaluations conducted for people looking to match up quality speakers with a room built and treated to complement the listening activities.

Obviously a time consuming activity to swap out a lot of big, heavy speakers. Don't hurt anything horsing them about!

post #160 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 06:46 PM
Senior Shackster

While there is really nothing I could add to what others have already said, I will say that I am curious to hear (read) all of the reviewers' thoughts on these products. I don't have a dedicated listening/theater space, but will be keeping some of these concepts in mind when the time comes to either convert a garage or add to my house!

$2 , 500 , audition , evaluation , event , home , official , speaker

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page