The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 18 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #171 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 10:52 PM
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Happy to see a thorough review of speakers in this price and quality range. As some have stated, speakers in this price range would not be practical for me to purchase, however seeing the designs and components may affect some of my future speaker projects. As a car audio fanatic, I am partial to brands such as Peerless, Morel and I'll be paying close attention to the Dynaudio review.

Thank you for taking the time to do this review and filling us in on the details of the results!
Sponsored Links
post #172 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 10:53 PM
Senior Shackster

If we can make track suggestions, I've always loved Jennifer Warnes: Way Down Deep track. Beautiful vocals, great instrumentation and can really showcase a speakers low end prowess (or lack thereof).

Just my 2cents

post #173 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 11:21 PM
My System

Emkay wrote: View Post
Will be interested to see your test program material, and really hoping there will be at least one superbly recorded classical piece included. If you can't decide on one, I'd be very happy to make a suggestion.
Here is my recommendation for a classical test piece:

but preferably in a higher resolution format than this one!

post #174 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 11:27 PM

Hello, Fellow 'Shacksters!

As someone with passionate roots in audio -- both mobile and home oriented (I still remember my yesteryears of blasting incredibly deep bass notes through my massive Kicker SS12 box in the rear of my 1991 Nissan 240SX ) -- but without, unfortunately, the necessary funds to put together a truly high-end, top-shelf system in multichannel or two-channel configuration, I truly enjoyed reading about this evaluation. Indeed, I truly wish I could afford loudspeakers of such formidable pedigree (being a contract freelance writer, even for multiple publications across a multitude of genres, is not a profession I'd recommend for anyone looking to survive or make any kind of money ) but I have instead learned to truly love more affordable, easier-to-attain gear. How I would love to sample these speakers in this roundup, though; I wonder if my Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver would be able to power a pair of any them comfortably...

There is indeed something so magical about a good, solid two-channel system with formidable floorstanding tower loudspeakers and a stereo integrated amp or receiver driving them...all, of course, showing off their gorgeous black brushed-aluminum faceplates!

Keep up the good work, Sonnie and the rest of the HTS staff that puts these wonderful roundups together!
post #175 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 11:28 PM

This is great! As I am a mastering engineer, I constantly deal with different styles of music, so I am picky about where and thru what I listen to my projects in order to put out the best product possible. I have three rooms, the mastering room, which has a 5.1 surround speaker system in a balanced audio room, the recording room that that is pretty flat, no echo what so ever, with a stereo set of studio speakers, and a 7.2 surround sound theater system with speakers mounted in the walls with special boxes, except for the 2 subwoofers, and of course I have a small boombox to use as well. this set up allows me to test our projects and get a mix that sounds good in all the different speakers. So I am pleased to be a member here as I find that the newbie as well as the pros can come and find out whats available in audio equipment and what the so many experts that frequent here have to say. It sounds like your test room, Cedar Creek Cinema (The 2 Car Garage), is set up really nice. I will be very interested in finding out the results of these tests as I always have people asking me what they should buy for their home theaters. Have fun, and I hope you listen to some great music.
post #176 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 12:24 AM

Wow really cool event. Great timing as I've been researching new higher dollar speakers for my Onkyo 805. You have an awesome home theater by the way.
post #177 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 01:02 AM
Senior Shackster
Sonnie wrote: View Post
That John Tesh track is pretty good... I really like it. Just listened to it with my headphones. I think it will be hard to list all the speakers we have listened to... as several of us have been to a few audio shows and heard fifty-eleven speakers. Of course I have owned quite a few, which I believe are listed in our
Sorry Sonnie I didn't make myself clear on that earlier. I meant to ask which of the speakers in the shoot out each reviewer had previous experience with, not all the speakers you had heard in general.

People think I'm strange, does it make me a stranger?
post #178 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 01:07 AM

I haven't been posting much these past few months as summertime is outdoor time for me but with the cooler air rolling in, I'll soon be picking up where I left off with my home theater build and the build thread I started earlier this year.

When I read about the shootout I thought it was a good opportunity to get my feet wet again. I mean, who doesn't love a good shootout and it comes at a great time for me because I have yet to purchase my HT speakers and some of the models being tested are of genuine interest to me.

It's impossible for me to audition such a fine selection of speakers locally these days. We used to have at least a dozen stereo shops who carried different equipment back in the 70's and 80's. I used to spend many Saturdays making the rounds to audition the latest and greatest equipment and speakers but those days are long gone. Today we have 2 local stereo shops not counting the one remaining chain store. Of those 2, one carries only 2 brands and the other only 3 or 4 and both offer very limited stock for auditioning. I actually ran a small stereo shop out of my home back in the 80's and was an authorized ESS dealer. Does anyone remember the ESS brand and infamous "Heil Air Motion Transformer"? Well, that's a story for another time so lets not clutter the shootout thread with "I remember ESS" posts.

While a shootout is not quite as much fun or beneficial as an in person audition, it serves a much needed purpose for those of us who have so little to choose from locally and I am looking forward to reading the results.

Thanks HTS, for putting this shootout together.

Last edited by mtrunz; 10-20-13 at 11:39 PM.
post #179 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 01:54 AM
Senior Shackster
My System

You have great sets of speakers for audition. I am most interested in the Maggies. Beautiful speakers.

It is so hard to decide on speakers I am glad you are putting this together. Even when I audition speakers I have a hard time with the different rooms the speakers are in. You guys have taken out as many of the variables as possible and we all thank you guys for giving us (I'm sure) great reviews
post #180 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 02:07 AM

Wow sounds like a great event , I would love to attend but it's a little out of my area.Any events planed for the north east? Larry

$2 , 500 , audition , evaluation , event , home , official , speaker

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page