The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 20 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #191 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 12:20 PM
Senior Shackster
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

It sounds like it will be an excellent event. I also wish it would be possible to attend, by not this time. I am still amazed at the continuing evolution going on in the speaker industry, not to push aside the lesser known designers including some very talented homebrew folks.
Audio electronics keeps improving, but mostly in the areas of interface and compatibility with other devices and remote and other wireless features.
But speakers are in a class of their own. The improvements you can really hear keep coming. It is more than just an art and design effort, it is truly a craft in a way I think that other audio components can not equal.

Samsung PN51F8500, Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA5, Dali Ikon6, Vokal 2 center, OnWalls, Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, Oppo Digital BDP-103, Furman Elite 15PF power conditioner
Sponsored Links
post #192 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 12:21 PM

ericzim wrote: View Post
Speaking of WAF, I showed the picture of the ML's to my wife from the web and she said they were stunning and wouldn't mind a pair in our living room, than I showed her the price and she didn't even flinch. I can't wait to see how they do in the shoot out. I have the best wife in the world!
You are a lucky man indeed!!

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!
post #193 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 12:46 PM

Looking forward to this! These are all great speakers in this evaluation.
Personally, I love the Maggie's but not sure they will be able to compete in the low frequencies. My money is on the Martin Logan's, but I think it's going to be very close.
-Great job guys. Have fun with the test!
post #194 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 12:52 PM

I am interested in OB speakers currently. I look forward to your evaluation of the Emerald Physics CS2P in your audition series. If this were not such a busy time of year, I would try and drive up there to take a listen myself. There is a lot of thought currently about an OB midrange/tweeter run by a class A amp, and having a DSP/crossover system for a plate amp running the bass drivers. Better bass than can be had with the lower wattage amp, and elimination of "box" effects on the critical midrange/tweeter section.

However, the OB systems need more room to run in than I have in my man cave. These speakers are only 18 inches wide though, much better than 24-36 like many of them.

Please be sure to detail the room placement for these speakers when you comment on them.
post #195 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 01:05 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

My wife is real good about gear too.
A long time ago she lobbied to get rid of my old 70's era speakers with something small and pretty so I brought home a Bose Acoustimass system that cost about $1200 and hooked it up.
After just a few minutes of listening she said she didn't want to spend money and have worse sound and asked if it could be taken back.
I packed it up and returned it.
About three years ago the old speakers needed to be replaced and when I wanted a RF-83 system she didn't bat an eye.
I know many of my friends have to fight for every inch of TV and a real sound system is out of the question.
After I narrow gear down to two or three choices she wants her say on the final decision but at that point it's a can't lose for me.
post #196 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 01:41 PM

Great wife indeed!
My wife is very similar. I've been hooked on audio/video for decades, and back before we got married I was in the market for new speakers in the 2000-2500 range (similar to this evaluation). She started coming with me during my listening tests and she caught the bug. She was amazed at the differences in sound and detail that came from different speakers. After about 18 months, I narrowed my choices down to 2 models (Snells and Amrita's) and she liked them both too. In the end, I bought the Snell's and SHE bought the Amrita's for her place! LOL
Now that we are married, she has helped me with all of my upgrades (she has a good ear!). When I upgraded from the Snell's to my current speakers (PBN Montana EPS's), she went with me to all my listening tests. Again, I narrowed it down to 2 speakers (B&W's were the others) and she liked the Montana's a little better, especially when we added a sub into the mix. I agreed and they came home with us.
Now we have our home theater headed up by the Montana's, but she has her own listening room with some of my old electronics running her Amrita Summit's (yep, she wouldn't part with them even after we got married!). She say's "the girls" need a getaway room for wine and music while the guys are watching TV in the main room.
Who am I to argue with that?
post #197 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator
I'm a redneck!
My System

phreak wrote: View Post
Sorry Sonnie I didn't make myself clear on that earlier. I meant to ask which of the speakers in the shoot out each reviewer had previous experience with, not all the speakers you had heard in general.
Ahh... well... of course I have heard quite a few MartinLogans... and I have heard the SVS Ultra's twice at shows. I have not heard any of these other exact models anywhere. I have heard lower end or higher end models on some of them. Never heard Dynaudio or Paradigm.

SALESEPHOTO wrote: View Post
Wow sounds like a great event, I would love to attend but it's a little out of my area. Any events planned for the north east? Larry
Not sure yet if we will have these in other locations, although we generally have to limit it to staff, as the complexity of the setup and listening is rather time consuming as it is. Having others there listening would cause us not to get finished.

Otis857 wrote: View Post
Question. Have you considered having an independent person/party set up each speaker pair prior to the official audition? And is the WAF (Wife acceptance factor) going to be addressed? Its always a battle to get the household CEO to agree to speakers being too far out into the room for the sake of sound quality.
We only setup the speakers when we get ready to audition them. The other speakers are outside the room, so it would not be feasible to have someone come in and set them up. Plus, we have pretty good ears available for setting them up, which basically consist of plugging in the speaker cables and getting them placed.

WAF is something each "husband" has to address and judge for himself, based on his particular "wife". It would be difficult for us to know all of your wives and what they might like or dislike.

As far as moving them out into the room... does your wife sit and listen with you, or is she somewhere else? Personally, if I could not listen to the speakers in their best placement, I would not buy them, as you have lost the benefit of buying them if you can't listen in the proper location. I may be that you find the best placement, mark it (or record the measurements from a source point) and move them to that placement when listening. Move them back when finished. You really need the proper setup and ability to move the speakers around if you plan to do any serious listening. If you are merely using speakers for background music, you could just pick up some really inexpensive speakers for that... or something you know won't upset your wife.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #198 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 02:39 PM

This event looks awesome. If there is one in Texas I will bring Philharmonic 2s and an assortment of amps. I am entering my DIY phase of audio...not sure if this will be the pinnacle of my journey or just make me realize why beautiful finishes cost more

For the event consider toe in, distance, and ensure all the connections are solid. I measured speakers with major toe in changes and it was different enough to be seen on calibrated graphs.

Have fun!
post #199 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 03:58 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

This sure sounds like a lot of fun, I wish I was in the area and had an invite!

Happy to see the Emerald Physics in the line up, haven't heard this version but did have an older pair which were great. It is a very nice line-up of speakers so it will be interesting to see how they all stack up.

I really want to hear about the $20K 2-channel system and the special guest with a unique 5.0 system.....talked about getting my interest.

You guys are really doing great work
post #200 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 04:09 PM
Elite Shackster
My System
I wish I could attend some of these get togethers. To be able to hang out with a bunch of other guys interested in the same stuff, play around with some great gear, and audition some really nice speakers... Sounds like a really great way to spend a day or two.

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter

$2 , 500 , audition , evaluation , event , home , official , speaker

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page