The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 21 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #201 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 04:26 PM
Wow this sounds like a GREAT idea! I am new to all of the crazy parts and all that goes into these speaker setups. I appreciate good sound but don't know what it takes to get there. I've got a few thousand into my setup and thought it was a fortune until finding this forum and it making me feel like an idiot. I don't know what half of the charts and jargon means but it would be awesome to go check out a big event like this and get to see some real setups. Way cool and I'm jealous that I'm so far away!
Sponsored Links
post #202 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 04:45 PM
Senior Shackster
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Looks like a great line up of speakers and equipment (the Onkyo was my 2nd choice after the Marantz AV8801 I ended up with).

Really looking forward to how sensitive the speakers are to placement. I need very forgiving speakers for my system due to sidewall proximity.

Loved the $1000 challenge, so I see no reason why I won't like this one just as well.

Thanks for the great work guys! It should help some of us avoid doing this:

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro
Arcam P1000 amp
Oppo BDP-95 blu ray player
ATC SCM-19 v2 L&R speakers
B&W LCR6 center speaker
B&W CDS6 surround speakers
Velodyne SPL-1000 Subs (2)
VTI speaker stands for L&R speakers
Sony XBR65x850a 4K
post #203 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 04:53 PM
Senior Shackster
My System

I was surprised on the speaker that won the first shootout. I just wished that these shootouts were happening last year when I was looking for speakers. This way I could of looked at other speakers that I couldn't listen to. These shootouts is great for people looking at upgrading their speakers keep up the good work.
post #204 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 05:11 PM
Senior Shackster

It looks like someone has done their homework! I wish I could have done something like this when I was on my quest for new speakers, in this exact price range. I had to do it the hard way, (6 months of the hard way)-one listen at a time and a lot of travel-but the journey was fun, and I got to meet some wonderful people, some which I can still call "friend" today. Also along the way, I was able to bring my Wife into the hunt so now we both have a memory we can enjoy. I look forward to your results.

post #205 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 05:17 PM

First time to this thread and I was blown away by the initial image showing the set-up! I have a much more humble system and was instantly jealous. I look forward to the results of the tests and the methods used.
post #206 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 05:42 PM
Senior Shackster
I am curious as to how the ARX's from the $1000 shoot out will compare. $2500 is a lot more money and I am sure will buy a better speaker but how much better is the big question for me in this shoot out?
post #207 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 05:58 PM

Impressive collection of speakers you have assembled. I'll be looking forward to the results. I read with interest the $1000 audition/shootout thread, and I think you guys did a great job of differentiating between all of the speakers assembled.

This audition should be a great event as well, but will probably be a much tougher task for you, as i'm sure the differences in measured performance will be slight, but each speaker will continue to sound a bit different, and reveal the biases of their manufacturer, and the preferences of the listener.

Moving them all around will probably do a number on your back too. Some of these look pretty hefty. Good luck with the event, I am looking forward to the write-up.
post #208 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 06:34 PM
Senior Shackster
My System

As many others have stated, I’d love to join in the fun of auditioning this lineup of speakers. It’s cool that such a wide range of designs is in the mix, but it is going to pose a bit of a challenge to set up each pair as they require for their best performance. As a Maggie owner, I can attest to their finicky disposition with respect to placement and room treatments. Regardless, I have faith that the HTS team members will do all they can to perform meaningful evaluations/comparisons. I look forward to the results and really wish I could crash that party!
post #209 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 07:19 PM

I too would love to be there but seeing as i'm nowhere near there i'll just have to wait for the results to be reported on in here.[should be an interesting read]
post #210 of 1088 Old 10-20-13, 07:20 PM
My System

What makes this evaluation event so special and valuable for me is the inclusion of 3 panel/dipole speakers versus 3 traditional models. I am very interested to learn if a preference trend emerges from this 50/50 design split. Might guess that the dipoles are favored for stereo music and the traditionals for HT?
Most other evaluations I have seen may just include one dipole model as "the odd man out"!

$2 , 500 , audition , evaluation , event , home , official , speaker

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page