The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #31 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 04:52 AM
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Sonnie wrote: View Post
Actually we have been optimizing based on imaging and soundstage, instead of measurements, although if we could get better measurements without sacrificing imaging and soundstage we will move them slightly.
Hopefully that has been done by using ETC measurements and not just listening.
Sonnie wrote: View Post
For back waves... in my room we have what is called the Precedence Effect. This is where the rear radiation is delayed to a point that our ears only pay attention to the direct sound from the front. Of course my front wall has absorption panels also, so a good bit is absorbed anyway.
The Precedence or Haas effect only makes one avoid hearing the signal from another place. You still hear the signal (first wavefront) from the speaker, despite of the delayed specular reflections. This is the case to a certain point in time and then we start to hear echoes.
But that does not mean that those reflections don't effect sound quality or aren't audible. They are audible and effect the sound quality, even when delayed. How much depends on the level compared to other reflections, but even after 30 ms strong specular reflections can be audible. It's a common mistake to mix the precedence effect with combfiltering effect. Two different things.
If you are using absorption on frontwall to attenuate reflections, that will make it a pretty even game though in this regard.

Another challenge is the bass. A dipole woofer disperse differently. Meaning that it often requires another placement then a monopole to even out the freqeuncy response. If this isn't done properly, the only answer you may end up is finding out is which dispersion pattern fitted the spesific placement best.
It's not uncommon that dipoles work best along sidewalls in a room and monopoles closer to the corners, but it depends on the room and needs to be measured.

So like I said; To compare speakers like this in a fair matter is a very difficult task. But good luck.
Sponsored Links
post #32 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 05:04 AM

Sounds like a great event to attend. Looks like you have some impressive gear on test, also an impressive venue. Just shoot me a plane ticket, and I will come over from Australia and attend! I would be interested to see if changes in your room setup change the ratings of each product. This may highlight any directional performance differences between speakers, and how tolerant each is to setup changes. This may be useful for some users who don't always have the perfect room layout or treatment. It may also highlight the importance of room treatment, or rather the lack of it having a negative impact on what should be a very positive experience.
post #33 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 05:07 AM
My System

Wow, you guys keep showing off and all it makes me want to do is spend more money(that I don't have lol) , Keep up the great reviews, I can't wait to read this next one.
post #34 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 05:20 AM

Kinda too bad all this "good stuff" mostly takes place on THAT side of the pond

I guess the closest i got to something like this, was on my first visit to a local friend, who has a pair of the big Maggies. With my "tin ears", i'll admit they were pretty detailed and "effortless", but pretty bass-shy

I wonder if/when i'll get the chance to put together anything close to a home-cinema type thing, and/or a home-studio... Ah well, hope dies last, eh?
post #35 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 05:21 AM
Senior Shackster

Looking forward to the final postings. I will add to what others have already commented, I think that it would only be fair to attempt/spend as much time as reasonable, in optimizing placement. This is what a typical home owner would do with a set of $2500 speakers (For that much $$ I would spend a few days tweaking the setup, but I know that is not possible in this scenario). They will all have varying sweet spots, toe in, perhaps even height needs.

Overall this is a very good mix of speaker types and characters. Like you mentioned, not a shootout. I would highly recommend that folks listen to as many speakers as possible before making a purchase, hopefully at least a few in your own room.

I think having a full post of the room measurements with a "control" set of speakers would be nice too so we can evaluate what the room itself sounds (or at least tests) like.

And maybe some comments on what subs/center/surround options are available or recommended to pair with the 2 channel setup?

And thanks for introducing me to the Emerald Physics line. Very interesting stuff...
post #36 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 05:46 AM

I'm looking forward to this evaluation. I realize that the results from your room aren't directly transferable to everyone else's, but it can certainly give an indication of how different designs will perform in a given room. As a Paradigm owner, I'm hoping the Studio 60's do well. I have the impression that $2500 is the "sweet spot", when it comes to performance/price ratio.
post #37 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 06:14 AM

I think that all of us need more comparative evulations of audio equipment. Far too often reviews are standalone with out any measurements or comparisons to other "equal" devices. When I selected my speaker system I did it based on sound auditions. I hope that the reviewers take measurements using say REW and post them.
post #38 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 06:24 AM
Senior Shackster

Events like these are what makes related forums such great places. From such, you get clear and accurate opinions and data from true enthusiasts who love the hobby. I think the topics brought up in the original post deserve some attention as well as Sonny and the gang have really covered all the bases. For those considering a speaker purchase in the near future, I say refer to post one of this thread before you buy. I look fwd to the results.
post #39 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 06:29 AM

We are presently in the market for a new sound system. Between older age, hearing aids and other factors the old speakers don't sound very good. I know part of it is the compression used by our sources, however the other part is that the speakers we have are exploited by these weaknesses. Sometimes on the right song the music will be fine but most of the time I hear the holes in the sound or the one area that booms. I trust this forum as it has helped me out once already save a big screen - and the last sound evaluation was well done. We look forward to reading the results of this year's tests - and undoubtably will use it to determine which set of speakers to buy. I think they will be the ARX 5 or Klipsch set but the test will tell. Thank you for doing these tests - we will just be back in California that week or we would attend. Take care and happy listening. - Steve
post #40 of 1088 Old 10-19-13, 06:54 AM
Im very interested in seeing the results if this thread. I have recently purchased my first set of 1000$+ speakers and am interested to see if the 2500$ area shows improvement. My interest will lie with the svs ultras. I have heard nothing hut praises for them. I am looking forward to following this thread

$2 , 500 , audition , evaluation , event , home , official , speaker

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page