Klipsch or Arx A5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Manufactured Speakers | Subwoofers > Home Audio Speakers
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 2260 - Replies: 22  
Old 11-03-13, 04:35 AM   #1
Senior Shackster

David Burn
Since: May 2007
Albury, Australia
I started this thread.
Klipsch or Arx A5

I'm currently looking at purchasing a set of speakers and need some input from the shacksters.

Have narrowed it down to either the Klipsch RF52ii or the Arx A5 which rated quit good in the $1000 speaker evaluation.

I current run some 3 ways which have 3 6.5" 2 x bass drivers, and 1 midrange and a tweeter which are great for movies but lack with extra loud music in 2 channel.

So the purchase is based on music play back, not to worried about timber matching as I will purchase a new center once I've chosen the new fronts.

Cannot demo the Arx A5 and am waiting on a shipping price before I can decide.

Running an 18" sub and an Onkyo 7.1 HT R-690 for the amplifier and my media room is quite small 4m x 4m.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-13, 07:31 AM   #2
Elite Shackster

Quenten
Since: Jun 2007
Tallahassee, Florida
My System
Re: Klipsch or Arx A5

The ARX A5's preformed very well in our evaluation. The only issue is that we positioned them far out into the room for optimal, 2 channel, stereo listening. We don't know how they will preform in a HT set up, i.e. closer to the walls (rear ported).

Sonnie has indicated that he will try using them in a HT set up after the current $2500 evaluation. Plugging those ports will effect the speakers preformance. That effect vs open, while close to a wall is what we will need to know (if you can wait a bit longer, I feel this is important information).

Old 11-03-13, 09:22 AM   #3
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim
Since: Mar 2012
New Joisey
My System

I believe the Arx are currently being offered at a "group buy" discount to celebrate the launch of the 'C' variant. You might be able to save a little $$ on those right now.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite

Old 11-03-13, 11:57 AM   #4
Elite Shackster

Brandon
Since: Jan 2013
My System

I have a Klipsch setup Rf-63 mains Rc-64 center. Mostly home theater use and I think they are great. I would pm Sonnie about the Arx speakers he could probably give you great insight about them.

Old 11-03-13, 01:22 PM   #5
Elite Shackster
Silver Supporter

Charlie
Since: Jan 2011
Dallas, TX
My System

There is a huge difference between RF-63s and RF-52s...just sayin'

Never had the pleasure of hearing the ARX-5s, it's hard to see myself buying speakers unheard but I know many have no other option.

Old 11-03-13, 10:48 PM   #6
Senior Shackster

David Burn
Albury, Australia
I started this thread.

Thanks guys for the feedback, still waiting to hear back on pricing and shipping on the arx and most definitely the Rf-63 are very different to the rf-52 but they look good but a bit out of my price range.

Thanks again and when I find out more will let you know which way I go

Dave

Old 11-04-13, 12:54 AM   #7
HTS Hillbilly

I'm a redneck!
Since: Apr 2006
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
My System

Of course you know we had the 62-ll's in our last evaluation. I can't say how much different they are from the 63's, but they were pretty good speakers. I have a tendency to lean towards them being a better HT speaker, but they were still very good at two-channel, just not quite up to snuff with the A5's. We are not talking super duper drastic differences. Placement is going to mean a lot for two-channel. We'll have more on the A5's closer to the front wall a bit later, but they absolutely shine out into the room. Mine are staying right where they are for right now.

Sonnie Parker
Customer Service Associate
SVSound
www.svsound.com
custservice@svsound.com

Old 11-08-13, 01:13 AM   #8
Senior Shackster

David Burn
Albury, Australia
I started this thread.

Ended up going for the Klipsch RF52ii, had a good audition and loved the sound and the size of the speaker, also the price was spot on.

Unfortunately the audio insider didn't get back to me with a price or any correspondence on the Arx A5 which was disappointing so the Klipsch will fill the void.

Very happy with the Klipsch and married with my 18" Sub and my small theater room the sound is awesome in 2 channel listening which is what I was after.

Next will be the matching center as i'm current using an Arron Loudspeaker which does an awesome job but not timber matched.

Dave

Old 11-08-13, 01:51 AM   #9
HTS Hillbilly

I'm a redneck!
Since: Apr 2006
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
My System

Well... that is truly a shame that TAI did not respond, as I can just about guarantee you would have liked the A5's better than the 52's. Not saying the 52's are bad, I would not know, but I have heard the 62's, which certainly will be better than the 52's (logically speaking). Again, not bad, but the A5's are identifiably better for two-channel. Nonetheless, it is what it is and you got what you got. Congratulations! No doubt you will still enjoy them.

Sonnie Parker
Customer Service Associate
SVSound
www.svsound.com
custservice@svsound.com

Old 11-08-13, 02:15 AM   #10
Senior Shackster

David Burn
Albury, Australia
I started this thread.

No worries Sonnie, hopefully they're too busy from the $1000 speaker evaluation!

I really do love the sound of the Klipsch but I have no doubt I would have loved the Arx better but it's not to be this time.

Dave

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Manufactured Speakers | Subwoofers > Home Audio Speakers »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »