MartinLogan Montis and StageX Loudspeaker Review Discussion Thread - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

6Likes

post #11 of 50 Old 02-15-14, 05:27 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System
Re: MartinLogan Montis and StageX Loudspeaker Review Discussion Thread

Great review, thank you so much.

I have not heard this model but do have some experience with Martin Logan and can say y'all have hit the nail on the head. The stunning reproduction of lower mid's on through the highest frequencies is hard to beat, soft and delicate when called upon and yet raw and loud the next. Soundstage for days that is hard to duplicate yet exceed.

Yes, the surround version of Wish You Were Here on the blu ray ( immersion) is only beat by attending a live performance. Stunning !

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"

Last edited by Savjac; 02-15-14 at 05:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 50 Old 02-18-14, 12:50 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Fantastic review gentlemen! I enjoyed it all, and it has suddenly and unexpectedly piqued my interest in electrostats, which previously have not been something I have seriously considered. I very much look forward to Wayne's review of the EM-ESL speaker to see how much of the Montis goodness has been packed into it. That is a speaker I could afford (barely) and consider owning. Although it will be in a different room with different equipment, I hope to see some comparisons of the Montis and the EM-ESL to get a feel for how close I could get to the Montis.

One part of the setup that would be difficult for me would be the distance from the front wall. I could set speakers up at 6 - 7 feet away from the front wall for 2-channel listening, but that position would put them nearly 4' ahead of the screen. How would things sound for movies and multi-channel music videos if the front of the speakers were 2.5 - 4 feet away from the wall behind them?
post #13 of 50 Old 02-18-14, 12:59 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Oh, also I'm curious about the Wish You Were Here blu ray disc. I found one on Amazon, but it appears to be a documentary. I was under the impression it was a live concert. Which one would I be looking for? Thanks.

post #14 of 50 Old 02-18-14, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
Fantastic review gentlemen! I enjoyed it all, and it has suddenly and unexpectedly piqued my interest in electrostats, which previously have not been something I have seriously considered. I very much look forward to Wayne's review of the EM-ESL speaker to see how much of the Montis goodness has been packed into it. That is a speaker I could afford (barely) and consider owning. Although it will be in a different room with different equipment, I hope to see some comparisons of the Montis and the EM-ESL to get a feel for how close I could get to the Montis.

One part of the setup that would be difficult for me would be the distance from the front wall. I could set speakers up at 6 - 7 feet away from the front wall for 2-channel listening, but that position would put them nearly 4' ahead of the screen. How would things sound for movies and multi-channel music videos if the front of the speakers were 2.5 - 4 feet away from the wall behind them?
OK, a little leak on the ESL review... Still writing, but - performance is very close to the Montis, although not as deep in the bass (ported vs. sealed with DSP) and maybe not as well suited for a big room like Sonnie's. In my smaller rooms, and about 3 feet out from the wall - Dynamite! Lots more to say about them, but that is the quick summary. (Oh, and some more detail on getting an absolutely killer soundstage.)

Quote:
Oh, also I'm curious about the Wish You Were Here blu ray disc. I found one on Amazon, but it appears to be a documentary. I was under the impression it was a live concert. Which one would I be looking for? Thanks.
You want the Hybrid SACD, like this one on Amazon. It is not a live concert, but a recent 5.1 remix of the original album.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #15 of 50 Old 02-18-14, 02:18 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
In my smaller rooms, and about 3 feet out from the wall - Dynamite!
Now that's good to hear. Really intrigued by these.

Thanks for the music tip! Have fun this weekend. Hopefully the Montis has not spoiled you too much!
post #16 of 50 Old 02-18-14, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
Now that's good to hear. Really intrigued by these.

Thanks for the music tip! Have fun this weekend. Hopefully the Montis has not spoiled you too much!
Between the Montis and the ESL, spoiled pretty rotten! But I believe I still have that impartiality hat around here somewhere, gotta dust that off and take it along. Actually, with the models we have lined up, it should not be a problem. Firing up a new pair of speakers the first time is always a thrill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #17 of 50 Old 02-18-14, 04:55 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Awesome review... would LOVE to hear these in action
post #18 of 50 Old 03-19-14, 03:33 PM
Shackster
Thom

Thanks for this very informative review/set-up tutorial! I've already significantly improved my sound using the set-up information. The sweet spot information is really quite valuable, and adjusting the rake with that information as a guide made a very worthwhile difference to my ears. I do have several questions I'd like to throw out, and any help would be appreciated:

1. Is the speaker plane to ear plane measurement correct? Only 69"? Is that typical?
2. What does Listening Angle (in this case, 21.5 deg off axis) refer to? This term confuses me.
3. Is it best to absorb as much of the rear reflections as possible if you're limited by external contraints to 40" from speaker plane to the front wall? I just haven't been able to draw a clear conclusion via listening because the answer seems to vary depending on what's being played - or depending on something else I'm not aware of.....

Thanks
post #19 of 50 Old 03-21-14, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
trans40 wrote: View Post
1. Is the speaker plane to ear plane measurement correct? Only 69"? Is that typical?
Probably not typical the way most people would set them up, but then neither was the result we got. That setup gave us a very deep soundstage. We tried locations closer to the front wall, also with excellent results, but Sonnie preferred this one.

Quote:
2. What does Listening Angle (in this case, 21.5 deg off axis) refer to? This term confuses me.
Zero degrees Listening Angle means the speaker is pointed straight at the listener. If it is turned away from the listener, usually outward - for instance the left speaker pointing toward the chair to the left of the listener, from his seated perspective - then the angle of that turn is the Listening Angle.

Zero degrees Toe-In means the speaker points straight at the back wall.

Quote:
3. Is it best to absorb as much of the rear reflections as possible if you're limited by external contraints to 40" from speaker plane to the front wall? I just haven't been able to draw a clear conclusion via listening because the answer seems to vary depending on what's being played - or depending on something else I'm not aware of.....
I say no, but the answer is actually a bit complicated. There will be quite a bit of detail in the MartinLogan ESL review I am finishing right now. Hopefully it will be helpful.

post #20 of 50 Old 03-21-14, 06:04 PM
Shackster
Thom

Thanks very much for your reply. After "just following" your recommendations (from the review and from your 2-ch setup guide) instead of "finding excuses not to", I have a pretty stunning soundstage, and without any real compromises. Well..., the speakers do "seem like" they're in my lap, but who cares? I'll get used to that. To anyone else reading this who is "not so sure" - consider just trying what the AudiocRaver suggests. Looking forward to the rear reflections information in your ESL review. Regards, Thom