MartinLogan Montis and StageX Loudspeaker Review Discussion Thread - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

6Likes

post #31 of 50 Old 09-19-16, 10:51 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: MartinLogan Montis and StageX Loudspeaker Review Discussion Thread

Trying to work out a pair of the 13A's instead of the 11A's... and will be all over the L7's when they happen! No doubt... Lord willing that is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 09-20-16, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Trying to work out a pair of the 13A's instead of the 11A's... and will be all over the L7's when they happen! No doubt... Lord willing that is!
Excellent.

Just corresponded with Jon a few days about the L7, hoping to get the first review pair when they come off the line.
post #33 of 50 Old 09-20-16, 12:50 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Been waiting a long time for the L7, and may end up buying a pair before a review. Jon has been silent on the timeline for a while now, so I have no idea how much longer it will be, but I'm not ready yet anyway. Regardless, very much looking forward to reading what you think about it, Wayne.

post #34 of 50 Old 09-20-16, 02:16 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

I hear you. You gotta remember Jon is in the pre-release period on his new/upgraded line. Still taking orders. I'm sure he will want to finish off that run before moving on. If I know Jon, there are several prototypes hanging out in his work room getting tweaked.
post #35 of 50 Old 02-21-17, 11:12 PM
Shackster

Primare Knob

I have read through this review with much interest since I own the exact same speakers and planning to build a HT setup with it.

I have a few comments or points of discussion after going through the article a couple of times.

I miss the measurements of the initial speaker setup at the beginning of the review, it would have been nice to be included. I recalculated the dimension mentioned for the final placement, the LP angle on top of the toe in angle makes it a bit confusing but roughly ends up around 69in of distance in the speaker plane, resulting in around 90in from LP to speaker, which is less than 108in x 1+ which is recommended by ML. This makes it a near field field LP while in your review about the ESL9 you chose a mid field LP. But if I am correct the width of the Cedar Cinema is 138in (11.5ft) and while the speakers are placed 108in apart you measured the distance from the side wall to be 60in which results in a total width of the room of 228in which doesn't add up unless my metrical brain is screwing thing up for me.

I wonder what can happens when you time the reflections of the front speaker with the direct sound of the surround speakers, or the reflective sound of the surround speakers if there is any. I like to use these speaker for my home cinema build but everyone seems to agree that they aren't a good idea but more suited for music, which you seem to suggest with your review as well since you mainly use music as review material.
post #36 of 50 Old 02-21-17, 11:42 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Cedar Creek Cinema is 19.5ft wide... (11.5' was the very first CCC)... but you should be able to tell from the pics it's wider than 11.5'.

They work absolutely wonderfully for movies... they present a great sound stage that really immerses you into the movie. You need Dirac Live or Audyssey for the system to perform its best.

What ML recommends may not always necessarily be the best for everyone. It is perhaps a good starting point. You will need to work out the placement that gives you the best imaging, sound stage and depth acuity.

I will let Wayne chime in with his comments.
post #37 of 50 Old 02-22-17, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

No doubt about it, they sounded phenomenal for cinema as well as for music.

As with your post about the ESLs, I will follow up with detailed answers tomorrow.
post #38 of 50 Old 02-22-17, 09:15 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

To put an exclamation mark on it... I am ordering 4 MartinLogan EM-IC 6.5" speakers to mount in my ceiling for ATMOS. Now running 13A's up front with the Stage X and the ESL's for surround. Planning a 5.2.4 ATMOS setup.
post #39 of 50 Old 02-22-17, 09:22 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
To put an exclamation mark on it... I am ordering 4 MartinLogan EM-IC 6.5" speakers to mount in my ceiling for ATMOS. Now running 13A's up front with the Stage X and the ESL's for surround. Planning a 5.2.4 ATMOS setup.
It's good to see you posting again Sonnie! We miss you around here. Atmos has been a nice addition in my setup. I think you'll enjoy it.
bkeeler10 and Lumen like this.
post #40 of 50 Old 02-22-17, 11:07 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
Sonnie, this is awesome that you're getting set up for Atmos. I wonder why you chose to do 5.1.4 instead of 7.1.4. If I recall right, your room is plenty deep enough to accommodate surround back speakers, and I figured you already had them set up in your prior layout. Just curious. I bet that Martin Logan setup is going to sound awesome.

Nice to hear from you again