Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Review: Klipsch Cornwall III vs. Cornwall I

126K views 36 replies 8 participants last post by  rcarlton 
#1 ·
We did not have a lot of time to compare the speakers. They were set up side-by-side at the Klipsch factory in Hope, Arkansas. Swapped back and forth between them. The Cornwall I vocals seemed a little 'tinny' and not as clear as the III's. Bass on the III was a little stronger.

The CW I had good caps in the crossover, the Klipsch engineers had run a bunch of tests on it, and concluded the crossover was working correctly.

The CW III is on the left, CW I on the right. The woofer on the III is higher than the I. This is to smooth out the bass response.

Notice the III is taller than the I. No sonic advantage...small stand makes it easier to use the vacuum cleaner.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The attached image is a SPL vs Freq. graph of the Cornwall I in Klipsch's anechoic chamber. The purple and red lines are essentially the same line. I believe we tried a new inductor. It did not make a significant difference. The thing to note is the drop off at 400-600 Hz. The green line is swapping the polarity for the squawker (I think). All it did was move the drop to 700-900 Hz.

The drop off is due to resonances set up in the box. Later Cornwall I's used a B-2 crossover that helped some with the dip at 400-600 HZ. Klipsch fixed this on the CW III by raising the woofer (see the above picture).

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
This photo is from the Klipsch forum. Trey Cannon from Klipsch is working on the speaker. The owner, Seadog standing by in the anechoic chamber.

What other company would do that for their customers?:hail:

Attachments

#4 ·
Liked the Cornwall I's so much I bought 1984 oiled walnut pair. Were 6/10 now 8/10 after light sanding and 5 coats of Tung Oil.

Electronics Technology Audio equipment Electronic device Electronic instrument

Electronics Major appliance Technology Electronic device Audio equipment

Attachments

G
#22 ·
its a pitty we dont realy see klipsch here in the uk, i guess the only thing similar to those would be tannoys, at many times the price i bet as well.

Here's Ralph's website http://www.artisanaudio.co.uk/ He's in/near London and could probably get you hooked up with a pair of Jubilees if you wanted (at a price that might surprise you?)

If I recall... his Jubilees are located in his home which is the same place he does the auditions for you. (I don't pretend to speak for him though)

#7 ·
:time-out: Who's the goof that trusted a Klipsch nut like rcarlton in the building. I mean sheesh I am suprised he didn't run out with pair on his shoulders.. :rofl:

Just messing with yeah dood..I like theri newer THX Ultra 2 series alot. My dad had a pair of old Magnavox speakers (circa 1973-74) The he finally had to let go of when we started on the HT. Those were some great speakers. Horn loaded tweeter and 15in woofers. I remeber the first time I listend to Deep Purple's smoke on the water from LP on them. Really set me on home audio.

~Bob

#12 ·
:time-out: Who's the goof that trusted a Klipsch nut like rcarlton in the building. I mean sheesh I am suprised he didn't run out with pair on his shoulders.. :rofl:

snip
~Bob
I didn't run out with any speakers. Another couple did...Cornwall III's as a door prize:raped: !

Attachments

#8 ·
Here are some more pictures of the chamber. The revolving door. The entrance to the chamber.

Attachments

#9 ·
Jubilee...the last speaker PWK helped create.

Attachments

#10 ·
Closeup of the tiles.

Attachments

#11 ·
The anechoic chamber.

Attachments

#13 ·
Go to this site CWIII to see step-by-step how Klipsch makes the Cornwall III's.

#14 ·
After living with the Cornwall's for a month, used only for two channel through a vintage McIntosh MAC-1700. All I can say is Wow!!!:holycow: Not as big a sound as K-horns, perhaps a more intimate sound. Terrific separation of instruments, nice wide sound stage. Accurate reproduction of the music. Non-fatiguing. Works well with Jazz. Rock doesn't sound too bad either. Haven't played much Classic or Blues yet. No Hip Hop, Rap, at all (no plans to either).

#16 · (Edited)
Just trying to drum up interest and at the same time enter a contest held here earlier for some SVS speakers.:sneeky:

#19 ·
I'm impressed he could lift it that high. They weigh more than 90 pounds!!!!:holycow:

G
#23 ·
I have only gotten back into music now for about six weeks. I started with a set of Klipsch KSP 300, then went to four Bose 901 Series VI. Sounds really great but as you can see I am still looking. I missed out on a set of Cornwalls by one day when I first started looking. I have a set of Klipsch Belle's spotted that I want to hear but they are a four hour drive. I really dont mind that but I would rather look at some local. I looked at a set of Klipschorns but condition was a 5 on a scale of 10.

Thanks, Don

#24 ·
The DFW_hornheads have listening parties about every quarter. Last one we heard Cornwall's. There will soon be Jubilee's in Waco. Perhaps that will be where the next meet will be.

Me, I have all the big Klipsch at home: K-horns, LaScala's, Cornwall's and Heresy's.

#25 ·
What do you think about the KLF-30's? I know hey arent really clssic Klipsch's, but they were some of the Baddest speakers I'v heard.

I'd love a pair or two of Heresies. A friend has some and let me loose with my iPod and I didn't leave his house till 4:30 AM.

#26 ·
I had KLF-30's. I think Cornwall's sound better to me.

#28 ·
Don,
No room:daydream:. I might consider a Belle for a center channel. Would have to get a terrific deal.

G
#29 · (Edited)
Ron... I really appreceiate you answering my questions. My main reason for coming here to begin with was to find out what I could about the Belles. If you would tell me what you think of the Belles. I have a set of 82 Belles spotted that I am very interested in but dont know anything about them. What would you consider a terrific deal? I went and looked at a set of Klipshorns at a reasonable price just wasnt happy with thier history even though they sounded pretty good through a low buck amp. My intesion was not to hyjack this thread but I am not able to PM you until I have 10 post, if I am correct.
Thanks, Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.