Review: Klipsch Cornwall III vs. Cornwall I - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 37 Old 06-19-06, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ron

Review: Klipsch Cornwall III vs. Cornwall I

We did not have a lot of time to compare the speakers. They were set up side-by-side at the Klipsch factory in Hope, Arkansas. Swapped back and forth between them. The Cornwall I vocals seemed a little 'tinny' and not as clear as the III's. Bass on the III was a little stronger.

The CW I had good caps in the crossover, the Klipsch engineers had run a bunch of tests on it, and concluded the crossover was working correctly.

The CW III is on the left, CW I on the right. The woofer on the III is higher than the I. This is to smooth out the bass response.

Notice the III is taller than the I. No sonic advantage...small stand makes it easier to use the vacuum cleaner.
Attachments

Dallas, Texas

Downstairs: Oak Klipschorns, LaScala (center), Cornwall (sides), Bubinga Heresy I (rear), SVS PB12-Plus/2, Outlaw 990, McIntosh MA6100, (2) MC250, MC2100, Oppo BDP-95, Toshiba HD-A2, Belkin Pure AV PF60, Behringer DSP1124P

Upstairs: McIntosh C2200, MC275 MKIV, Walnut Cornwall I, Oppo BDP-83, Technics SL-1200 M3D, Audio Technica AT150MLX, Richard Gray Power Company 400 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 06-27-06, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ron

Re: Review: Klipsch Cornwall III vs. Cornwall I

The attached image is a SPL vs Freq. graph of the Cornwall I in Klipsch's anechoic chamber. The purple and red lines are essentially the same line. I believe we tried a new inductor. It did not make a significant difference. The thing to note is the drop off at 400-600 Hz. The green line is swapping the polarity for the squawker (I think). All it did was move the drop to 700-900 Hz.

The drop off is due to resonances set up in the box. Later Cornwall I's used a B-2 crossover that helped some with the dip at 400-600 HZ. Klipsch fixed this on the CW III by raising the woofer (see the above picture).
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Klipsch Cornwall III vs. Cornwall I-cwi-graph.jpg  

Dallas, Texas

Downstairs: Oak Klipschorns, LaScala (center), Cornwall (sides), Bubinga Heresy I (rear), SVS PB12-Plus/2, Outlaw 990, McIntosh MA6100, (2) MC250, MC2100, Oppo BDP-95, Toshiba HD-A2, Belkin Pure AV PF60, Behringer DSP1124P

Upstairs: McIntosh C2200, MC275 MKIV, Walnut Cornwall I, Oppo BDP-83, Technics SL-1200 M3D, Audio Technica AT150MLX, Richard Gray Power Company 400 Pro
post #3 of 37 Old 06-27-06, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ron

This photo is from the Klipsch forum. Trey Cannon from Klipsch is working on the speaker. The owner, Seadog standing by in the anechoic chamber.

What other company would do that for their customers?
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Klipsch Cornwall III vs. Cornwall I-cwi-testing-klipsch.jpg  

Dallas, Texas

Last edited by rcarlton; 09-20-06 at 06:07 PM.
post #4 of 37 Old 09-16-06, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ron

Liked the Cornwall I's so much I bought 1984 oiled walnut pair. Were 6/10 now 8/10 after light sanding and 5 coats of Tung Oil.

Review: Klipsch Cornwall III vs. Cornwall I-cornwalli.jpg

Review: Klipsch Cornwall III vs. Cornwall I-cornwallia.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Klipsch Cornwall III vs. Cornwall I-dsc00477b.jpg  

Dallas, Texas

post #5 of 37 Old 09-16-06, 12:02 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Very interesting... first time I've seen a test (anechoic I assume) room like the one above.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #6 of 37 Old 09-17-06, 11:45 AM
Senior Shackster
edd

Send a message via MSN to eddthompson

its a pitty we dont realy see klipsch here in the uk, i guess the only thing similar to those would be tannoys, at many times the price i bet as well.

now if only i could emigrate to the us

edd
post #7 of 37 Old 09-17-06, 11:01 PM
Bob

Send a message via AIM to khellandros66 Send a message via MSN to khellandros66

Who's the goof that trusted a Klipsch nut like rcarlton in the building. I mean sheesh I am suprised he didn't run out with pair on his shoulders..

Just messing with yeah dood..I like theri newer THX Ultra 2 series alot. My dad had a pair of old Magnavox speakers (circa 1973-74) The he finally had to let go of when we started on the HT. Those were some great speakers. Horn loaded tweeter and 15in woofers. I remeber the first time I listend to Deep Purple's smoke on the water from LP on them. Really set me on home audio.

~Bob
post #8 of 37 Old 09-18-06, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ron

Here are some more pictures of the chamber. The revolving door. The entrance to the chamber.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Klipsch Cornwall III vs. Cornwall I-82818-r1-13-11a.jpg  

Dallas, Texas

post #9 of 37 Old 09-18-06, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ron

Jubilee...the last speaker PWK helped create.
Attachments

Dallas, Texas

post #10 of 37 Old 09-18-06, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ron

Closeup of the tiles.
Attachments

Dallas, Texas