Cerwin Vega...yes or no? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 12 Old 11-22-07, 10:57 AM
Nacho Libre
Cerwin Vega...yes or no?

I have some OLD VS 120's that still sound great. They actually sound as good or better than everything else I have and they definitely are the longest lasting, hardest working speakers I own. I use them in my guitar room and I push them very hard quite often, yet they march on.

With all this in mind, AND what the cost of new CV's compared to other brands, I still consider them to be a viable option. What say you?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 12 Old 11-22-07, 01:23 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
My System
Re: Cerwin Vega...yes or no?

I should think so,... as long as you like how they sound.
I dunno what the new ones sound like, I have not actually heard a pr. of CV's for about 26 years.

post #3 of 12 Old 11-27-07, 11:47 AM
Senior Shackster

I has some E310's a while back and they sounded fairly good. Their low end was nice and I think CV does their best down low. The mids and highs were adequate but not stellar. For the price though, they were the best I could find back then (1999).

I also had some Cerwin Vega HT stuff too. A pair of SAT5's a CNTR25 and a 10" sub. The sub was small and not too expensive. I'd say it was pretty good for it's price of around $500 back then. The center and satellites were just ok. I thought they were great until I replaced them with Klipsch. There really is no comparison between them other than the Cerwin Vega were half the price.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-30-07, 10:35 PM
Senior Shackster
My System

Back in either '99, '00, or maybe even '01, I bought a pair of LS-12's. At the time, I didn't have a very powerful receiver (60w/chan, Dolby prologic) but I could still fill the wing of my dorm room with sound! The quality wasn't the greatest, but at the time I thought they sounded good.

Fast forward about 6years. I saw a pair of LS-12's on ebay locally that I bought. Brought them home and something was wrong with the sound. None of the speakers are blown, there is no odd noise/distortion, however, I have to turn my treble down about 7-8db's (yes same 60w receiver)! It's the craziest thing ever and I can't figure it out. My one's I bought 6 or so years ago, still sound good though.

If you want to buy some new ones, I haven't heard anything about their current line, but enlight of my used pair I bought with some funky sound issues, I'd definatly want to go take a listen before buying instead of trusting.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-02-07, 01:30 AM
Senior Shackster

I pulled some NHTs out of my living room because I had been given a set of big ole Vegas. I had them re-baffled and sold the NHTs. Not because of quality of sound, mind you, but because of quantity .

A neighbor is using some for his HT and is satisfied with them, though he can't get a center to match them timbre-wise.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-12-14, 02:46 PM

I have some Cerwin Vega VS 120's I use with a Sony STR 6800 SD reciever,sounds awesome!
post #7 of 12 Old 01-06-15, 10:33 AM

I'm running a set of AT15's paired with a CLS15S sub in my living room. They sound great for older speakers from 1996 ! I like my music loud and they get there with authority. For movies they are good, not great. Not as detailed as the XLS12's they replaced. They do shine like no other when the bass tracks hit with the sub off. I like them so much I picked up a set of 2000 LS15's for the basement.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-06-15, 11:31 AM
Elite Shackster
My System

CVs are good, They seem to have really good power handling and are well made. Are they as tight and clean as some newer speakers maybe not but I dont see why they cant continue to make people happy.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #9 of 12 Old 01-06-15, 06:20 PM
Senior Shackster
My System

I'm running a pair of DX-9s in my party system, with upgraded replacement woofers that equal or outperform the originals. One of the original cones had a tear and rubbing voice coil. Rather than play around with a re-cone, I decided to roll the dice on woofer replacement. Tracks like Bela Fleck's Flight of The Cosmic Hippo, Stravinsky's The Infernal Dance, on the Sheffield Lab Firebird disc, and Yulunga from Into The Labyrinth by Dead Can Dance played as loud as I could tolerate without any hint of strain or bottoming out. I've also owned D-9s, 380SEs and AT-15s in the 1980s and early 1990s.

Last edited by Glen B; 01-07-15 at 09:58 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-07-15, 01:32 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

I have had a pair of XLS-215's for about 6 months now and I love them. They took a bit more messing with than my B+W's to get the soundstage they way I like it but once I got them set up and EQ'd they sound great for both music and movies. I run them with the QSC-GX5 pro amp which does 500w per channel and it matches up perfectly with them.

Onkyo TX-NR809 HT receiver
HPS-4000,SR-70, John Allen, Klipsch Heresy, Speakers for L.C.R.
QSC GX-5 power amp for L+R mains
Chase Home Theater PRO-10's for surrounds
Behringer EP 4000 pro amp for the Danley DTS-10 tapped horn sub
Oppo BDP-93 universal BD player
Toshiba HD XA2 HD dvd player
Sony VW-VPLPRO1 1080p PJ
Cinema White 1.0 gain 106" fixed frame screen
Dish network with 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey

cerwin , vegayes

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page