How much did your speaker system cost? - Page 11 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #101 of 334 Old 08-07-08, 07:05 PM
Big Is Good
Re: How much did your speaker system cost?

Too new to your forum so I can't post pics yet

Mains are L7s with a lot of modifications, only six pairs were done in NZ, one set recently sold and to replace these he spent $33K NZD , mods are 5" Focal driver all new cabinetry, it's fiberglass is rear ported with varying density foams to baffle, shape is bulbous behind the driver to inverse trumpet about 1.5" diameter on exit, I don't fully understand it, that's all inside the standard L7 cabinetry. The x-over has been reworked, I remember the caps were about $80NZD each, the resulting sound is fuller, a little softer highs and more accurate through out. Like any L7 they love loud

Rears are standard L7s

Centers are L1s, soon to be changed to a custom setup designed by the same guy that did the L7 modifications, it will be a single L7 tweeter, two fives from the L7s and two eights, the x-over will be based on the existing modified L7s x-over

Subs are W12GTi x2 in three chamber bandpass cabinets (separate cabinets)

Cable is 8 core Proel, all 130meters of it

Sponsored Links
post #102 of 334 Old 08-07-08, 07:32 PM
Big Is Good

Chris Hagen is the designer of the JBL L series speakers from the 90s, after some time watching he jumps on the thread .... an awesome read for those that are interested

Ahh ... poooos, I can't post a link yet either, sorry it's a great thread

I hope this link doesn't offend our kind host

post #103 of 334 Old 08-08-08, 03:52 PM
Elite Shackster

flavo cadillac wrote: View Post
i come to this forum mostly to dream. i bought my full 5 speaker polk set up on special at fry's for about $400
I think that looks like a gateway drug..

And I agree, upgrade little by little and you can find yourself with a wicked good setup before you know it.

Your pusher,
post #104 of 334 Old 08-13-08, 04:07 PM
Senior Shackster
My System

Hmm, my system is far from done. At my parents I'm currently using
-Cerwin Vega LS12 towers
-Monitor Audio RS1 as a center
-Sony junky HTiB speakers for the rears.
-Pioneer VSX-1014

At my place, I'm using
-Cerwin Vega LS12 towers (yes I have two pair)
-Sony bookshelf speaker as my center
-Infinity SW-12 subwoofer
-Old Sony prologic receiver that came with my HTiB

For my system I am working on building...
-Two SDX-15's (550.00)
-Crown CE4000 (~600.00)
-Behringer DEQ2496 (~200.00)
-Behringer EP2500 (300.00)
-Just ordered two Lambda TD15h's and a single Fountek Neopro5i (~800)
Still need to order...
-two mids and another Neopro5i for my L/R's
-Behringer DCX2496 for my mains
-Four more amp channels for my mains
-Center channel I've not decided on, so I need those drivers
-Surrounds...but will probably use what I have here for a while, maybe my LS12's?

I have no idea how much I'll be spending.
post #105 of 334 Old 08-26-08, 01:51 PM
Elite Shackster

So far on Amp speakers and sub ive spent the equivelent of $5000 USD. I still need to buy a front 3 when Ive finally decided, looking at around the $3000 USD mark for those, then need to add BFD or equivilent.

Eventually I want to upgrade my AVR into a PRE/power combo.
post #106 of 334 Old 08-26-08, 03:40 PM

I have spent around $3500 on my system. It consists of Definitive c/l/r/2002, BP8B mains, BP2Xs for the rears, a Klipsch rw-12d sub and the Onkyo 606 receiver, which is a great budget receiver.....The SVS I heard is great...if she puts her foot down take a look at Fluance. I hear that they are very good beginner systems for the price. They run 199 and 299 for their whole system...minus sub....check their reviews out
post #107 of 334 Old 07-13-09, 02:26 PM

I have several systems and putting together a couple of others. Going most expensive to least. All the speakers I have are listed.

speaker system 1:
Legacy Focus Mains $6800
Legacy Silver Screen Center 1500
T&A P-30 3-way rears 1900
Klipsch R-3s side surrounds 550
Total $10,750

Speaker system II:
Klipsch Kg4 Mains $600
Klipsch KV3 Center 450
Klipsch klf-C7 alternate Center 600
Klipsch R-3 surround 550
SW8 550
ACI Saturn 800
Total $3550

Scandyna Minipod System
Minipods Black $600
Minipods Clear/Lucente 650
Looking for Cinepod
Total $1250

PSB Alpha Intro $60
Looking for C1 center and intro
Total $60

Radio Shack LX5 system $450

B&W LM-1 $550

Genesis Genre II $400

Klipsch GMX D1.5 multi-media $299

Legacy In-Wall Gallery 4 pairs $460
post #108 of 334 Old 07-13-09, 05:08 PM
Senior Shackster

I got my KG4.2's for really cheap from a pawn shop.
I loved the way the horns sounded, and the midrange and bass extension sounded really good...even hooked up to the sherwood reciver they use to demo stuff.

I tried talking them down on the $350 price...the kid who hooked them up called his manager over and they were talking quietly between the two of them.

The manager walks up to the counter where I was waiting and said that since each speaker had a non working woofer he'd sell them to me for $120. He thought that the previous owner blew out both woofers in one speaker and switched one working and one non working woofer around so they would each have one working and non working woofer.

Took them home...looked them up on line...and found out that the second woofer was a passive radiator.

HEHEHE...gota love that.

I actualy found someone on craigs list with a perfect set of KG 5.2s in the chicago area so I may pick them up when I move there this fall.
post #109 of 334 Old 07-20-09, 04:29 PM

My first real HT setup was almost $3k for 5 speakers and a powered sub. At the time I was shopping for much higher priced speakers and having trouble justifying the expense when I heard a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Towers. They weren't as good as the the stuff I wanted, but the price was right and the sound was more than acceptable. Setup was:

CSW Tower Mains
CSW Center Stage
CSW The Surround (dipole speakers)
CSW PSW1 powered sub

FWIW, I just retired this system and have the entire setup listed on craigslist for $800. If anyone is near San Jose, CA and interested, shoot me a PM.

Years ago I picked up some ACI speakers for the bedroom and was very impressed. ACI is one of those brands that only sells direct, doesn't advertise, etc. They have continued to receive glowing reviews, and I absolutely love my bedroom setup, so I decided it was time to "ACI" my home theater. New setup is now:

ACI Sapphire XL2 mains
ACI Sapphire XL center
ACI Emerald surrounds
ACI Titian XL powered sub

By purchasing some "open B stock", catching ACI during a product transition, taking advantage of the down economy, and working some deals, I was able to get this complete system for not much more than my original CSW system. Even at the listed $4500 I feel this system is a bargan.
post #110 of 334 Old 07-20-09, 04:42 PM
Elite Shackster
Dr Doan

Welcome Mark. Have fun. Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
SVSound MTS-02 Fronts, MCS-02 Center, SSS-01 surrounds, SBS-02 rear surrounds, (2) SVSound SB-13 Plus Subwoofers
AS-EQ1 Sub Equalizer (WOW!)
Onkyo TX-SR707 7.2 Receiver w/Audyssey XT
Insignia Blu Ray NS-WBRDVD3
Toshiba DVD Recorder w/HDMI
Direct TV DVR HD
BenQ W5000 projector. 91" screen. 15' x 11.8' vaulted ceiling dedicated HT room w/DIY sound absorption

cost , speaker , system

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page