Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Great Speakers for the money

Tags
great money
8K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  DaveCarrera4S 
#1 ·
I personally love Klipsch and Polk , but often these speakers can be pricey. I would love to hear about brands that you all have used that didn't cost you an arm and a leg. Let me know how they sound and what your using.

#2 ·
I've got three suggestions:

Affordable Accuracy by Philharmonic Audio
JBL LSR305
Wavecrest Audio

#3 ·
Hi DT, definitely lots of great brands with affordable lines that offer great performance. Klipsch,quintet, pioneer's Andrew jones line,etc. my system uses JBL studio II's. S312/Scenter/S38/S26. To my ears, they are pretty transparent,and revealing. The titanium tweeters are clean and not harsh. Fairly sensitive with good sized drivers(12",8",6",5-3/4)make for a dynamic system. IMO, they're underrated.

#6 ·
#12 ·
I demoed the prototype AAL bookshelf speaker and reviewed it - they are a class above the
Pioneer speakers. They tend to favor the NHT sound signature. > They have good detail and
definition, and some nice tight and controlled bass response for their size.

The AAL bookshelf will hold their own and then some - with speakers that cost around $350
a pair, regular price. Also, the word on the towers has been real good.

Dennis is well respected for his crossover work and designs - and he is easy to deal with.

I would for sure check them out.

#11 ·
I just picked up a pair of Boston acoustic Rs 260 book shelves for my living rooms tv/music. They retail at 799 I believe and I got mine for 320( a pair).

To me they sound amazing. They mids are great and the treble is so smooth. No harshness what so ever. I can compare them to my older Polk monitor 60 towers that had three 5.5" drivers my current speakers one 6.5" and the bostons get louder and sound better doing so. They keep composure even at very high levels. I often have get togethers at my house and I can easily crank them to where no one in the room can hear each other, and they still sound perfect. Would easily recommend them as a nicer budget speakers for any use. They have a nice black piano finish and magnetic grills too.

#15 ·
Have you thought about buying used speakers? I picked up 3 La Scalas for $950 off of Craigslist a while back. Used speakers can be a real bargain. :T

#22 ·
How much do you have to spend and how many speakers do you need?
Do you also need a sub?
One person's arm might be worth $1000 and another person's leg might be worth $100 so "cost an arm and a leg" is all relative.
If you are near a Fry's the Polk speakers go on sale very regularly, Newegg runs pretty good sales on Polk and some of the Klipsch speakers.

#25 ·
I've heard them, and can't think of anything else at the price that can compare.

The new SVS Prime Satellite comes close, dunno if those got a mention in this thread.

#30 ·
My room is 24 x13 and I am considering using monitors for my fronts instead of floor standing speakers in my home theater , but I'm concerned because I've read that monitors should only be used in close proximity to the listeners. My first row of seating is at 16' and the next right behind. Could you as many opinions as possible and also monitor suggestions. Thanks

#31 ·
Reaction audio CX-10s are extremely impressive speakers. Made from extremely high quality drivers and a new company, their prices are great and the customer service is amazing. I currently own one of their subs and auditioned the CX-10s. Go run through the official forum over at AVS.

#32 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.