Sub for music - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #11 of 48 Old 01-25-16, 04:38 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Sub for music

REL subs are over priced. I've heard one and was not impressed considering what it cost. You can get more bang for buck going with HSU, SVS, or some of the others mentioned.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 Old 01-25-16, 05:01 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
bob_m wrote: View Post
Jim, do you think you will be getting a PSA 15s in for review soon?
Tom and I have actually been discussing another review, but it wouldn't be on any of the sealed units (I've already evaluated two of them). Thus far it seems as though the V1800 is the likely candidate. Until something ships I won't know for certain though.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #13 of 48 Old 01-25-16, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Talley wrote: View Post
Rels are known for good sounding subs. They are pricey though. HSU are known for good sounding subs.
HSU has been around for a long time. I remember reading about those cylinders and folks raving over the deep bass. Also, nice HT build, you did a great job. BTW, do you miss your NHT's? I have the threes in the main room but have the zeros in a zone 2. -Bob

Last edited by bob_m; 01-25-16 at 05:34 PM.

post #14 of 48 Old 01-25-16, 06:12 PM
Elite Shackster

With my two RELs no EQ was required + go down to 9hz measured in my room, with careful placement.
post #15 of 48 Old 01-25-16, 06:29 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
With my two RELs no EQ was required + go down to 9hz measured in my room, with careful placement.
9Hz, but at what level though? I would be surprised if a 21" driver could do that with appreciable output, and I know REL doesn't make anything even remotely that large.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #16 of 48 Old 01-25-16, 07:53 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
bob_m wrote: View Post
HSU has been around for a long time. I remember reading about those cylinders and folks raving over the deep bass. Also, nice HT build, you did a great job. BTW, do you miss your NHT's? I have the threes in the main room but have the zeros in a zone 2. -Bob
I have my NHT... two are being used in my office for my wife hooked up to a cheap $250 denon with airplay. The other three are going in my living room as a center/l/r setup for my main TV w/ my x4000 that I don't use anymore.

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #17 of 48 Old 01-25-16, 08:54 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Tom and I have actually been discussing another review, but it wouldn't be on any of the sealed units (I've already evaluated two of them). Thus far it seems as though the V1800 is the likely candidate. Until something ships I won't know for certain though.
Hopefully a v3600i or a T-18 HT! One can dream right
post #18 of 48 Old 02-22-16, 12:35 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
9Hz, but at what level though? I would be surprised if a 21" driver could do that with appreciable output, and I know REL doesn't make anything even remotely that large.
Yep down to 9hz they were measured at 80db.
This was with careful placement and calibrated
post #19 of 48 Old 02-24-16, 01:59 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

I'm not a fan of REL. They make really nice looking cabinets for their subs but I find their price/performance ratio very lacking. They are very peaky in their response and generally do not dig very deep.
post #20 of 48 Old 02-24-16, 02:30 PM
Senior Shackster

For music, Rythmik would be a great choice. The servo technology greatly reduces distortion and they are very nuanced and detailed as well as being "fast" and responsive. Rythmik is also a great company in terms of their customer service.

bob_m said: