Sub for music - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #1 of 48 Old 01-24-16, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Sub for music

Hi All,

I am looking for a new sub-woofer to replace my now defective ACI Titan which I built from a kit many years ago. I am looking for a music solution first and listen at low to moderate levels. My room is 12 x 20 and my mains are NHT Classic 3’s. I was thinking about these three:

PSA 15s
Rythmik 12 or 15 built from Kit
SVS SB-1000/2000

Form all my research I assume I cannot go wrong with either especially at the listening levels I generally use. I should also look at some of these of sealed Dayton kits folks are building over in the DIY forum but figured the Rythmik is a proven design should I go that route. Another sub I looked at was the NHT B12 (great reviews for music) but NHT is currently replacing that model and the new one will not be available until to latter in the year.

I really like the down firming design of the PSA 15s so I am leaning that way if I don’t build a Rythmik from kit where I can use the same design. Too bad Rythmik dropped their down firing production sub. I remember reading a comment from JMan where he indicated that the Rythmik may have a more relaxed mid-bass compared to the SVS or PSA. That may actually be similar to the ACI titan that I am accustomed so I am keeping that in mind as well.

Curious as to anyone thoughts.

Thanks Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 01-25-16, 03:03 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Sub for music

I would not concern yourself with the term "musical sub" as if the sub is built well it will do very good at music as well as movies. I do agree that a sub for music only will not need to dig as deep but that said there is no better design that a sub that can.
SVS subs are well known to deliver smooth even bass across the frequency range. I would not worry about the debate over down firing vs front firing as again if built right it matters not. Bass is non directional and you don't nessisaraly want the floor to transmit the bass.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 48 Old 01-25-16, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Agreed on both of your points. I only like the down firing design because of aesthetics, not because of perceived sound quality differences. Thanks

post #4 of 48 Old 01-25-16, 08:24 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

All good subwoofers for sure, but you might want to consider the Rythmik options first. Detail is in abundance, but perhaps the biggest thing would be the customizations possible with the various amplifier settings. Through those you can tailor the sound to be pretty much whatever you'd like it to be, and for critical music listening in particular that's quite advantageous.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 48 Old 01-25-16, 10:50 AM
Elite Shackster

Consider the HSU subwoofer also. ULS-15 MK2 is a great sealed sub that would be a stellar performer at music. I know my HSU does great but the ULS version is a smaller cabinet and higher midbass output.

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #6 of 48 Old 01-25-16, 11:25 AM
Senior Shackster

I'd go the Rythmik route. If you decide not to build, the LV12r can be adjusted to suit your tastes.
For music I generally use one setting and for movies another. Imo, It is detailed and defined for music for sure.
Some of the Hsu offerings also allow you to tweak according to your requirements (music vs HT) although I don't believe they have any with the servo control.
post #7 of 48 Old 01-25-16, 12:24 PM
Elite Shackster

What about the RELs I have two Strata 5s and they are fantastic, and down firing though they don't make them anymore, cant comment on the others or other RELs.
post #8 of 48 Old 01-25-16, 03:35 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Rythmik also has a cheaper "L" model. The Amp does not have the advanced options as the "F" models but you get the same Sound Quality.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L12.html $570
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F8.html
post #9 of 48 Old 01-25-16, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I was actually looking at Rel this morning. I also noticed that PSA offers a bundle price for the anti-mode which may help with auto EQ but I don't believe you can customize the correction like you can with the Rythmiks.

Jim, do you think you will be getting a PSA 15s in for review soon?

Thanks -Bob
post #10 of 48 Old 01-25-16, 04:29 PM
Elite Shackster

Rels are known for good sounding subs. They are pricey though. HSU are known for good sounding subs but there are Rythmik, PSA and SVS are the other three that ring a bell.

I have heard some Rels before out of the above have only experience with my HSU and I find it to be adequate enough for my needs. Very seamless integration into my system and packs one of a punch.

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"