JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #11 of 19 Old 04-04-16, 08:24 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System
Re: JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread

Thank You for the review Wayne and I am glad they make you happy.

On a separate note, I tried putting tile and wood under my subs only to find that it did not seem to help. I am working on raising them off the floor a bit to see what happens in my room. In my friends room, he says it sounds better, I heard it but am no so sure. Just a thought in you long list of "Things"

Again thanks

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 04-04-16, 11:30 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
The PB12 definitely was one that had lots of issues. I have not heard of anything similar in recent models.
I learned the scope of the failures after mine went down. Wow! A little OT, but I think Onkyo got the biggest black from the hdmi debacle because they had heavy market saturation compared to the other OEM's. I wonder if the pb12 was victim to that?

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
Thank You for the review Wayne and I am glad they make you happy.

On a separate note, I tried putting tile and wood under my subs only to find that it did not seem to help. I am working on raising them off the floor a bit to see what happens in my room. In my friends room, he says it sounds better, I heard it but am no so sure. Just a thought in you long list of "Things"

Again thanks

I tried a piece of wood under the aforementioned jbl pb12, and I'm pretty sure (it was a while ago) it helped the attack, and definition. I do recall the effects were subtle, and I won't even rule out that they were psychosomatic, but I kept the board until the amp died. I still have it and its waiting for another Frankenstein project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 19 Old 04-04-16, 12:02 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
I learned the scope of the failures after mine went down. Wow! A little OT, but I think Onkyo got the biggest black from the hdmi debacle because they had heavy market saturation compared to the other OEM's. I wonder if the pb12 was victim to that?

I tried a piece of wood under the aforementioned jbl pb12, and I'm pretty sure (it was a while ago) it helped the attack, and definition. I do recall the effects were subtle, and I won't even rule out that they were psychosomatic, but I kept the board until the amp died. I still have it and its waiting for another Frankenstein project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This change I am sure is real as that model has a downward firing woofer. I found this to be true with down firing woofers and some ported ones as well but the ported ones had less effect, IMO, unless you are talking about full range speakers with a down firing port, then having a solid base under the speaker is important.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #14 of 19 Old 04-04-16, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Great input on the possible amp failures. I admit my due diligence regarding product reliability amounted to:
  • Check the Amazon satisfaction profile: 72, 12, 2, 6, 8 - looks pretty solid.
  • Trust JBL. I know, I know, budget consumer grade hifi does not get the engineering attention that pro gear does. But I would buy cheap JBL before I would buy cheap by most other companies, even realizing that there is zero factual basis for doing so.
  • Buy the SquareTrade 2-year replacement plan for each at $10 per.
  • Baby my gear. Working for me is the easiest duty a piece of audio gear could hope for. Hey, none of my Behringer gear has even failed, some of it over 10 years old.
  • Count on luck. My equipment just never fails. Even when I brag about it. Underlying Superstitious Belief: Love your equipment, and it will love you back.
Savjac and lovinthehd like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-04-16, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
This change I am sure is real as that model has a downward firing woofer. I found this to be true with down firing woofers and some ported ones as well but the ported ones had less effect, IMO, unless you are talking about full range speakers with a down firing port, then having a solid base under the speaker is important.
As Jack knows (he suggested it and I tried and confirmed it) a solid base under the downward-firing port on the MartinLogan ESL made a big difference. With the ES150P, I did not hear one, but the ringing room modes might have washed out any benefit. Now I should remove the tiles under them and see if the snappy delivery gets less snappy. Except that... it sounds great now, and that would involve more work, and I have already moved on, and I am just lazy enough that [yawn] I kinda am not interested enough to spend more time on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-04-16, 01:43 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Great input on the possible amp failures. I admit my due diligence regarding product reliability amounted to:
  • Check the Amazon satisfaction profile: 72, 12, 2, 6, 8 - looks pretty solid.
  • Trust JBL. I know, I know, budget consumer grade hifi does not get the engineering attention that pro gear does. But I would buy cheap JBL before I would buy cheap by most other companies, even realizing that there is zero factual basis for doing so.
  • Buy the SquareTrade 2-year replacement plan for each at $10 per.
  • Baby my gear. Working for me is the easiest duty a piece of audio gear could hope for. Hey, none of my Behringer gear has even failed, some of it over 10 years old.
  • Count on luck. My equipment just never fails. Even when I brag about it. Underlying Superstitious Belief: Love your equipment, and it will love you back.
There ya go, Very Good answer. I love it

Good Listening

Jack

post #17 of 19 Old 04-07-16, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

I am spending a little time fine-tuning the bass area between 80 and 200 Hz with a little manual filtering, because

• By 100 Hz or so, localization has kicked in and it becomes pretty easy to hear a bass note pulled to one side or the other if the FR is much different between the L and R. Upon listening more, there is ONE NOTE, the D-flat at 138 Hz, that pulls left a little and is annoying me.
  • At that frequency I am quite sure it is amplitude differences that matter the most to SS&I, so filtering differently between L and R to match responses using minimum-phase filters is valid.
  • With a 8.16 foot wavelength, the dimension corresponds to a floor/ceiling room mode. In that part of the room the ceiling is fully finished, so there is not much I can do to apply treatment to dampen it.
  • That note does NOT want to tame down. It involves a resonant peak, so the ringing involved makes it worse - it was unaffected by my front-of-room treatment. A single notch or high-Q.dip parametric filter does not control it effectively.
  • Tried boosting the R side just a little to match. Tightening FR between L and R did tighten up imaging that involved bass and kick drums even further, but that note did not change.
  • Yes, I am well aware of the perils of boosting in that region, especially where a resonance is concerned. Looking into treatment options. Just experimenting.
  • I am betting than when I run Dirac, it will be resolved. But I would like to learn more about what is going on with it first.

I will post results.

post #18 of 19 Old 04-07-16, 06:10 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

In the past I have found that some of these brand named sub-woofers in the affordable range tend to have a good deal of cabinet ring at certain frequencies that has not been cured by the fiberfill material.
This can impart a hollow or woody sound to the music, again at some frequencies.

I know they are new to you but might I suggest some of the sticky back sonic barrier foam material that you can cut and then stick to the inside of your cabinet ?
It worked great for some of the subs I had bought or made. Danny Ritchie recommends them for the sub cabinets he designs and it seems to work well. I am not sure how much fiberfill can then be placed into the cabinet as it may too much usable space and limit the extension of the woofer.

Just a thought.

Good Listening

Jack

post #19 of 19 Old 04-07-16, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

And a good thought, Savjac. I think the next step is figuring out exactly where that resonance is occurring.