Elac Subwoofers - S10EQ and S12EQ - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

5Likes

post #1 of 28 Old 03-13-17, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Elac Subwoofers - S10EQ and S12EQ

Anyone have any experience with them? A search of this forum using "ELAC" produced no results.

I'm looking for a sub to pair with my KEF LS50W speakers. My room is small (10'x12'x9') and I have DIY soffit traps around the wall/ceiling junction along with "superchunk" traps in the front corners.

I was initially considering an SVS SB-1000 but the auto-EQ of the Elacs has me curious. This is a music-only setup and with the small room space is at a premium.

Bill
DEANO222 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-13-17, 02:35 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Elac Subwoofers - S10EQ and S12EQ

There is no comparison, the Elac S10EQ has a frequency response of only 28-150Hz and the S12EQ is only slightly better at 25Hz. The so called auto EQ is just an APP on the phone that alows for some adjustment but nothing ground shattering.

The SVS sb1000 would out preform the 10" sub in a heartbeat and sound much better for music. The S12EQ is slightly better in regards to weight of the cabinate but I do still wonder if its really a better all around sub.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Last edited by tonyvdb; 03-13-17 at 02:40 PM.
post #3 of 28 Old 03-13-17, 05:51 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

+1

The Elac speakers designed by Andrew Jones are quite nice, but the subs not so much. Along with the SB-1000 there are a few SB12-NSD's still available, so that one might be worth considering as well.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

post #4 of 28 Old 03-13-17, 06:06 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
There is no comparison, the Elac S10EQ has a frequency response of only 28-150Hz and the S12EQ is only slightly better at 25Hz. The so called auto EQ is just an APP on the phone that alows for some adjustment but nothing ground shattering.

The SVS sb1000 would out preform the 10" sub in a heartbeat and sound much better for music. The S12EQ is slightly better in regards to weight of the cabinate but I do still wonder if its really a better all around sub.
I cannot comment on your conclusions because I have no personal experience with any of these subs. However, the app is more sophisticated than you credit it. The autoEQ is based on measuring the back EMF of the driver in the cabinet and loaded by room modes in its particular position in the room. Whether it works or not, someone will have to test it........................

EDIT: The comment below from wgb1202 is correct. My note above is based on Andrew's description of how one tunes the in-wall subs since they are shipped without back-boxes.

Kal Rubinson

Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 03-14-17 at 08:29 AM.
post #5 of 28 Old 03-14-17, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post

My understanding of the way the app works is that you measure the sub in the near field where room modes/gain are non-existent. Since the anechoic frequency response of the sub is known those near field measurements are then "adjusted" or "accounted for" given the inaccuracies of the mic being used. You then take another measurement at the listening position and the app adjusts the EQ to sound as close to that target response it ships with from the factory as possible (not perfectly flat due to real-world room modes).

Andrew Jones gave a very thorough response to some of the same concerns over on AVS and it does make sense, given all that I've read from Toole and others at Harman who have done a lot of solid research over the last decade or more.

I'm sure the SVS is a strong performer, I use a PC+ in my theater system, but the ease of the plug and play options the Elac offers at such a low price point make it very appealing.
post #6 of 28 Old 03-14-17, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
+1

The Elac speakers designed by Andrew Jones are quite nice, but the subs not so much. Along with the SB-1000 there are a few SB12-NSD's still available, so that one might be worth considering as well.
Have you spent some time with the Elacs? What about them didn't you like?

Thanks for the heads up on the SB12-NSD.
post #7 of 28 Old 03-14-17, 11:00 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

I'm not really a fan of unnecessary, and those subs have a few such items. That's surprising given Andrew's stock in trade is not to waste time or money on things with dubious value.

If Elac wanted to create an app to control the subwoofer that's probably a good idea, seeing as how the world is filled with people who suffer withdrawal if they put their phone down for more than 5 minutes. That gives those folks another thing to fiddle with. But be smart about it and do what SVS did; make it in addition to normal controls, not in lieu of. Why deliberately cut off market share when you don't have to?

In addition, their EQ system seems to bring almost no value, just cost. Except for the most basic AVR, you're going to get some type of sub EQ with your sound processor. That makes Elac's all but superfluous. Their variant may be better than the base sub EQ with really inexpensive receivers, but it's very unlikely those same people are going to be buying an Elac sub because they're priced high relative to the competition; if you bought an inexpensive receive it's almost a guarantee the same budget restrictions will be applied to the sub. And it uses the phones mic for sampling? That's probably a $2 OEM part, restricted by a tiny aperture no less. How accurate can it really be?

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #8 of 28 Old 03-14-17, 11:06 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I agree Jim, another point is once "you set it, forget it". Ive had my PB13u set in my theater room for 8 years now and set it up, made the correct adjustments over a few days and have not touched it since.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #9 of 28 Old 03-14-17, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
I'm not really a fan of unnecessary, and those subs have a few such items. That's surprising given Andrew's stock in trade is not to waste time or money on things with dubious value.

If Elac wanted to create an app to control the subwoofer that's probably a good idea, seeing as how the world is filled with people who suffer withdrawal if they put their phone down for more than 5 minutes. That gives those folks another thing to fiddle with. But be smart about it and do what SVS did; make it in addition to normal controls, not in lieu of. Why deliberately cut off market share when you don't have to?

In addition, their EQ system seems to bring almost no value, just cost. Except for the most basic AVR, you're going to get some type of sub EQ with your sound processor. That makes Elac's all but superfluous. Their variant may be better than the base sub EQ with really inexpensive receivers, but it's very unlikely those same people are going to be buying an Elac sub because they're priced high relative to the competition; if you bought an inexpensive receive it's almost a guarantee the same budget restrictions will be applied to the sub. And it uses the phones mic for sampling? That's probably a $2 OEM part, restricted by a tiny aperture no less. How accurate can it really be?
Jim,

It seems you're dismissing the Elac subs based on a lot of assumptions but no experience. Also, as noted in my original post, I'm looking for a sub for a music only system. Not only that, but it's an nontraditional music system in that both preamp and power amp (and DAC) are built into the speakers so I have no type of sub EQ built in. The closest thing I have to that is utilizing the new parametric EQ facilities built into the latest version of Roon. That would require making measurements with my UMIK-1 and REW, manually trying to dial in the sub, manually trying to make good EQ adjustments and hoping I got it all right.

The set-it-and-forget-it approach that Elac's taking is much more attractive, assuming it produces good results.

Are there any other sub makers out there providing anything similar to Elac at the price point? Or a combination of sub & other auto-EQ device?

Bill
post #10 of 28 Old 03-14-17, 11:19 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

$700.00? Not for an elac.