Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Seeking opinions on subwoofer isolation devices

19K views 49 replies 25 participants last post by  sportflyer 
#1 ·
I was wondering about the merits of subwoofer isolation devices such as the one in the link below. My subwoofers use the typical spikes, but I'm curious about what benefit subwoofer isolation devices might provide. I have 2-channel music only systems.

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_subdude/subdude.asp

#30 ·
I don't know if any of you are interested but I thought I post this anyways:

DIY subwoofer isolation pad: after much research and reading the "experts" opinions, I decided to save myself some cash and have some fun building my own pad. Pretty simple really: buy some 3" or 4" foam at Joann Fabrics (when it is 50% off; the stuff is uber expensive otherwise) and some simple fabric to match your decor and/or flooring, buy or dig up in the workshop a piece of wood (thicker than 1/2" and preferable MDF) that has the same footprint as your sub. Lay the wood over the foam, cut foam to same footprint, cover both with fabric and Ta-DA! :T One DIY subwoofer isolation pad!

#31 ·
Great tip. Thanks. Have fun. Dennis

#32 ·
Just adding my 2 bits a bit late in the game.

I looked at the subdude and other such devices and thought "hummm I could make my own". So after some research and lots of forum reading I when shopping. Shopping list: 4-6 inch upholstery foam, fabric to match carpet floor and piece of plywood (ended up using an old solid cabinet door that so happened to make my sub's foot print). Johann Fabrics had a sale on the foam (only time that the stuff is reasonable) and I bought enough to fit foot print. Found some material that was also on sale and was a close match to my carpet.

Took it all home and within 10 mins I had my sub isolated and looking like a custom install. Definitely worth the time and now I can include custom install on my future resumes. LOL

#35 ·
Still think these things are hype. All you want to do is decouple the sub enclosure from the floor. If you have carpet and underpad that will do. The only time I may see a need is if the sub is on a hardwood floor which is coupled mechanically (nailed) to the subfloor. Then IF the floor rattleing bothers you, you can go to Home Depot and buy 2 squares of MDF/HDF, a square of high desity foam insulation and some rubber feet. If thats too "ugly" wrap it in cloth matching the color of the sub.

Ok there are some exceptions to the carpet and underpad. If the subs sheer weight compresses the underpad to nothing, or if sub cabinet vibrates like a "magic fingers" hotel bed, then you may feel a difference with the iso.

#36 ·
I'll chime in here. I recently purchased an auralex gramma for my outlaw audio lfm-1 ex. I have not heard any difference. I'm still happy with the purchase though because I was scared that the driver would be hitting the carpet, and i won't have that issue with the gramma :)

#37 ·
They're not expensive enough to be hype. Plus, they're easily DIYed to further reduce cost if you're so inclined.

Could be that your environment simply doesn't need one for maximum performance. Many venues and homes do though, and this is an easy fix. YMMV is always the rule when tweaks are applied.

#40 ·
Bad comparison. Pro audio guys use Grammas and their cousins without second thought. Tired of everyone assuming that all gear and acoustics is perfect because they plugged in their little room EQ mic and pressed the start button.:doh:

If any of you have a wood frame floor over a crawl space then you will experience what I did with my sub! Not only was I watching War of the Worlds I was on the set! Crazy shaking and vibrations! After the DIY subdude was installed I still had the awesome real to life movie experience; minus the earthquake! :R
Isn't the quaking part of the fun in some cases?:devil:

#39 ·
If any of you have a wood frame floor over a crawl space then you will experience what I did with my sub! Not only was I watching War of the Worlds I was on the set! Crazy shaking and vibrations! After the DIY subdude was installed I still had the awesome real to life movie experience; minus the earthquake! :R

#41 ·
I can see where a decoupling device will help Irish if he doesn't like the earthquake, if however you are a prerson that does like it then I would use the same device but to isolate your electronic equipment from the vibration. Still don't understand the point in buy somthing that you can make for 1/3 the price. Make it if you need it, not to say you have one. I have an even worse opinion of $500 aftermarket power cable, even though some swear by them.

#43 ·
Discussion will only take you so far. Isolation devices can and do work, but not everyone needs them. They are made to fix problems, if you have problems such as the room buzzing or neighbors to consider, then try them out to see if they work for you or not.

I have a suspended hardwood floor over a crawlspace. The floor ripples nicely (an effect I like) but it was feeding into the walls, making the room and even the ceiling buzz.

I put 16 x 16 x 3/4" rubber floor decking tiles under my subs. Kept the floor ripple while pretty much eliminating wall/room buzz. Cost, $10 total, and I've seen them for only 2.50 each recently.

#46 ·
Irishsaab said:
That was funny, dude!

#47 ·
Guys be careful how you select your vibration isoation pads. Check out this sorbothane website. http://www.sorbothane.com/ There is a calculator in the design guide . Play around with the calculator variables by imputing various pad sizes and thicknesses and you will see that you could end up with _ve isolation if you are not careful. I have found that using .5 inch thick, D70 Sorbothane seems to give the best results. Please note the load is per pad so if you use 4 pads then divide the total weight by 4 . Best place to buy sorbothane sheets at very reasonable prices is McMaster.

#48 ·
Hi guys ,

Over the last week , I built a Riser from concrete slab and brick as legs. Legs are attached using construction adhesive . It weighs 56 lbs

Furniture Table Wood Plywood Chair

I have not covered it yet . This Riser is for a SVS 12 inch cylindrical subwoofer.

My plan is to place the subwoofer on the platform and place 3/4 inch thick Sorbothane pads between the legs and the wood floor as isolators .

An alternate arrangement is to invert the table and place the slab side towards the floor again using sorbothane pads as isolators and use the legs to support the subwoofer.

I am not sure which is the better arrangement .

My question is whether I should spike the subwoofer to the concrete slab or use the rubber feet that I am currently using ?

Your advise needed before I go about messing with this heavy riser .

#49 ·
Usually spikes are for carpet, rubber for solid services. Have fun. Dennis

#50 ·
I just found out that the newer SVS Subs don't come with capability of spiking them ie no holes with threads for spikes. I dont think I want to drill the base and put screw inserts for the spikes. I will just place the Sub as it is on the stand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.