Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Seeking opinions on subwoofer isolation devices

19K views 49 replies 25 participants last post by  sportflyer 
#1 ·
I was wondering about the merits of subwoofer isolation devices such as the one in the link below. My subwoofers use the typical spikes, but I'm curious about what benefit subwoofer isolation devices might provide. I have 2-channel music only systems.

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_subdude/subdude.asp

#2 ·
Any coupling of sound from any speaker that is transmitted to the floor can interfere with the purity of the sound. If the speakers' cabinet is made properly, that will be a minor issue. I guess the only sure way to find out is to order one with a return policy to your liking and try it. Have fun. Dennis

#6 ·
I bought the elemental designs isolation pad for my a2-300. I must say, it has definitely had an effect on the overall sound quality. I don't want to attach numbers, but the output seems to have increased some, the bass has tightened up significantly and I still feel the rumbles (so do my walls). I'd give it a go.

#7 ·
Also check out the Gramma line

Depending on the size of your sub, a Gramma or Great Gramma may be a better fit. I use a Gramma with my SVS PB-10 NSD, it is the correct size and I highly recommend it.

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_gramma/sound_isolation_gramma.asp

In my case, the theater is upstairs, and the Gramma stopped the dry-wall pops I was getting over the dry wall nails/screws in adjoing rooms--not a popular side effect with my very patient wife! :eek:

The improvement in the bass sound quality was noticable and an added bonus to not getting the system shutdown. :D

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

#13 ·
My DIY thoughts:

items needed:
1 x old rubber garden hose
1 x piece of 1/2 inch plywood
2 x pieces of 2/4 spruce
1 x tube construction adhesive
1 x piece of black cloth

-Cut the plywood to a little bit bigger then the size of the subs base dimensions.
-Cut 2x4 to size to make two full lengh feet the same size as the plywood
-Cut up the hose so that you have 3-4 pieces the same lenght as the 2x4s (3-4 pieces each foot)
-Glue the hose pieces down to the 2x4s then glue the plywood to the top of the hose pieces
-throw black cloth over uglyness, tuck and staple

Tada

#15 ·
WOOT Even cheaper.

My DIY thoughts:

items needed:
1 x piece of 1/2 inch plywood
1 x pieces of 2.5in foam insulation
Some type of Glue
1 x piece of black cloth

-Cut the plywood and foam to a little bit bigger then the size of the subs base dimensions.
-Glue the plywood and foam together
-throw black cloth over uglyness, tuck and staple

Tada

And this is only needed if your sitting your sub on a hard floor. Carpet and underpad will effectively decouple
the sub from the floor. Other acoustically absorbant material will do.

Rubber (as long as its not too hard)
Foam

#17 ·
Seems like there are a few more options for these recently. I guess all would have a similar effect, but it would be interesting to see a direct comparison. It's funny that I just posted in a thread about spikes for towers which I think increases the coupling, and now here I am in a thread about isolating subs 5 minutes later.

#19 ·
Actually, you do not want spikes on any speaker, except for the purpose of 'stability' on some circumstances. You want to isolate/de-couple the main speakers and subwoofers, ideally.

As for using foam for de-coupling, only certain foams are suitable. Most foam radically changes in compliance and stiffness and even shape with constant pressure applied. Standard grade cushion foam is worthless, for example. But you can order suitable foams online. Latex foam is superb for this purpose, and not quite as good but cheaper, Evlon foam. Even cheaper, and a little worse, high-resilience foam. http://www.foamonline.com/ is a great source for custom foam types and shapes cut to order. However, lead time can be 2-3 weeks from time or order to actually receiving the product, so schedule project accordingly.

Chris

#20 ·
Would you consider the foam in the picture above "standard grade cushion form"? IF so, I will put in my 2 cent to say hogwash, the exersice mats you get for Costco such as those above a totals sufficient to decouple a speaker from the floor unless the speaker is so heavy as to total compress the foam, in which case you can add another layer.

I beleive that coupling a small speaker to the floor via a stand and spikes "can" help with "felt" bass if no subwoofer is being used.

#23 ·
I can not possibly know the actual foam type/parameters from a picture. But the majority of said foam products are not stable for long term use. Their properties will change(for the worse) with extended periods of time under load. Specific foam types are required to keep somewhat stable properties under such conditions. Of course, if you simply used a very large surface area of very stiff foam (for example a standard exercise mat cut to shape under the load), then it's resonant frequency and over-all compliance in reaction to the load would be poor. That is, the ability for the mat to give in to movement and the high pass frequency of the spring, would not provide significant de-coupling.

There are all sorts of ways to do this effectively without having to use foam as the actual spring component. Actual metal springs are a good option and even repelling magnets. One could then place a medium compliant foam between the space under sufficient pressure and with enough surface area relative to load, to act only as a damping mechanism, thus freeing it from the stress and parameter changes that would occur if it was used as the actual spring mechanism to support the load.

Chris

#24 ·
Up to the individual I guess. I have borrowed a Auralex and heard/felt no difference between it and a exersise mat. I can understand that long term the exersise mat would loose its spring and need to be replaced (depending on the heft of the speaker). So, in the case of a custom install wear the isolation pad would be difficult to replace I could see using higher end material.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.