Epik Empire or SVS PB12-Plus - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 44 Old 02-14-12, 03:34 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: Epik Empire or SVS PB12-Plus

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
I have not listened to either one as of yet. I would recommend the ported PB12, it should play louder around 20-25 Hz if your room is open to other rooms. The Empire would do very well in a sealed room, possibly digging deeper than the PB12. Hope this helps.
Yep as I've been advised you want a seal sub with a sealed room. You get much better performance and sound. My HT is in the basement and it is sealed meaning all doors closed with a small opening outside of the HT room itself. That being said I'm now sold on the sealed sub and will be going with the Epic. The shootout also revealed it performed well. I have not seen a lot of thread on them though but of course we all know how this works. Oh the other thing that caught my attention with the Epic is that it apparently produced some very good mids which I also love. SPL is great but I need clarity and clean sound. If I can get that out of the Epic Empires that I'm a happy camper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 Old 02-14-12, 04:04 PM
Senior Shackster

OK so I'm a little frustrated. I just went to purchase the Epic and I have to pay shipping ($139). All the other subs provide free shipping. Now instead of $799 I'm looking at $938 which changes my price comparison a little. Hmmmm I tried calling but no one picks up the phone. How do you contact these people? Not a good start! Mind is slowing changing..,
post #13 of 44 Old 02-14-12, 04:21 PM
Senior Shackster
Kalani

My System

Quote:
DESCypher wrote: View Post
OK so I'm a little frustrated. I just went to purchase the Epic and I have to pay shipping ($139). All the other subs provide free shipping. Now instead of $799 I'm looking at $938 which changes my price comparison a little. Hmmmm I tried calling but no one picks up the phone. How do you contact these people? Not a good start! Mind is slowing changing..,
Pick up the phone and call SVS and see how their response compares. Might make your decision easier.
post #14 of 44 Old 02-14-12, 04:46 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

I haven't heard either sub but going by specs and quality i'd go for the SVS.
post #15 of 44 Old 02-14-12, 05:01 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Quote:

Consider this. The Empire comes with two 15" drivers, giving it the surface area of a single 21" driver. It's manufacturing costs are likely higher than the PB12, and it fits the application better.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #16 of 44 Old 02-14-12, 05:03 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
bambino wrote: View Post
I haven't heard either sub but going by specs and quality i'd go for the SVS.
Both the Empire and the PB12 have decent specs and quality.

The main difference here is the application. A sealed sub with lots of throw works best in this situation.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #17 of 44 Old 02-14-12, 05:11 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System

Quote:
That is always a problem in comparing prices. When I was shopping I had to go to each manufacture's website and find out what the price with shipping was. Most people, on the web, post prices without considering the shipping cost, which on subs is a lot. SVS looks before expensive than they are because the shipping is included in the price.
post #18 of 44 Old 02-14-12, 07:11 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
Both the Empire and the PB12 have decent specs and quality.

The main difference here is the application. A sealed sub with lots of throw works best in this situation.
I can't agree about quality (look at the subs and amp used in SVS) the only thing i can agree on is price to performance ratio which is if it was a factor in my book i'd go for the Epik.
post #19 of 44 Old 02-14-12, 09:38 PM
Senior Shackster

The concern this has raised for me though now is question their support. I mean if a phone rings and no one picks up then why have it? Also in reading their terms while I have 30 days to return it appears I will be shipping this at my cost. Now this might be the norm for all of these subs; I don't know because I haven't compared. I don't mind email support if that's what they say they provide but don't list a phone and give me the whole we're busy helping other customers default speech. I really do like the sub based on what I have read. I like they way they say it performs. Fits my style of subs. My cars have always had a sealed sub that produces tight and deep base. I have always had a custom sub build for my vehicles. I'm hoping this is the same. My other other choices are the SVS or the HSU. I would like to go with sealed but the SVS sealed sub doesn't look like it fits the bill and I have not really seen a lot of reviews on them.
post #20 of 44 Old 02-14-12, 10:56 PM
Senior Shackster

Changing up the topic a little. Woud you all also recommend getting two SVS SB12-NSD over one Empire? I will eventually get two subs but I could get two now with the price of the SB12's. What do you think? I know the Empire is more powerful though.