Thinking about a HSU VTF-2 MK4, but would like some input... - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers!

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Manufactured Speakers | Subwoofers > Home Audio Subwoofers
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 7517 - Replies: 15  
Old 06-19-12, 07:27 AM   #1
HTS Administrator
News Anchor

Todd Anderson
Since: Jul 2009
MD
My System
I started this thread.
Thinking about a HSU VTF-2 MK4, but would like some input...

So.

I'm considering buying a HSU VTF-2 MK4. I currently run an Energy S10.3. Here's a quick run down on the Energy:

Original Msrp was $529 (I paid, from Vanns, about $249):

Product Features of s10.3 include the following:

10-inch injection-molded woofer with patented ribbed elliptical surround suspension for greater output and lower distortion
800-watt dynamic / 200-watt RMS custom matched amplifier for clean and deep bass down to 21Hz
Rigid, low-distortion MDF enclosure with black ash finish and integrated front level control
Variable crossover and phase control to blend with any speakers, low-level and speaker level inputs for connection to any receiver, amplifier or TV
Front-firing, down-ported design for maximum impact and reduced port turbulence and distortion

My room is 13x17x8, Theater use only.

I generally like my energy. It never bottoms out, has some good boom. Can rumble.

I have noticed a few specific things about it:

1) my primary frustration is how it sounds when there is loud bass heavy music in a movie. I watched the chipmunks movie with my kids the other day and the bass (during some songs... Especially rap music) was very loose and not aligned with the song (so loose it sounded out of sync). But for things like explosions, etc, it's spot on.

2) I've had issues with boominess. I've used REW... Have a BFD... And bass traps. All if that has helped some! I know the boominess is probably primarily due to the room size/shape itself.

At any rate, it looks like the HSU can be had for $600. Which is a decent coin!

Can someone who owns the HSU (or familiar with it) describe to me - specifically - what I'd gain by buying the HSU? If someone told me every bass note would be tighter --- punchier --- exactly precise... I might be sold. But I'm worried that my $600 will only buy me something that will have the ability to go louder... Not bring exponentially better clarity and jaw dropping precision.

Thanks guys (and gals!)

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-12, 08:26 AM   #2
Elite Shackster

Gary
Since: Jun 2011
My System
Re: Thinking about a HSU VTF-2 MK4, but would like some input...

I owned a couple of Energy subs in the past; I had them on the side and surround channels (M&Ks for LFE and center). They worked well, but I think that the Hsu would be an excellent choice. It's 12 inch driver is ~34^2 inches larger than a 10 inch (area of the driver figured as a circle not a cone) and can hit 18 Hz!

Old 06-19-12, 08:39 AM   #3
HTS Administrator
News Anchor

Todd Anderson
MD
My System
I started this thread.

I guess bigger is always better!

The main driver for me are some of the the factors I touched on... Quality of the sound. Do subs ( specifically something like my energy and the hSu) differ that greatly I their ability to cleanly (more precise, less loose, tighter... Whatever descriptors someone could come up with) reproduce LFE? Or will will the difference really be more about loudness?

Old 06-19-12, 09:54 AM   #4
Elite Shackster

Gary
Since: Jun 2011
My System

IMHO-clean tight bass is much more important than loud bass; quality over quantity, so to speak. Some subs are "all boom, no tune," but I would NOT put the Hsu in this category. All things being equal, I think that you will find the Hsu to be cleaner, tighter AND louder.

Old 06-19-12, 12:27 PM   #5
HTS Administrator
News Anchor

Todd Anderson
MD
My System
I started this thread.

Called-up and talked to the HSU staff... very friendly. I appreciated their interest in my questions and taking the time to answer!

I went ahead and ordered the VTF-2 M4.

I'm in the middle of a major HT renovation... so it will be a few weeks before everything is installed and ready to rip. That being said, I'm excited to move up another level on the ole' subwoofer chain.

Last edited by Todd Anderson; 06-19-12 at 01:40 PM..

Old 06-19-12, 01:40 PM   #6
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim
Since: Mar 2012
New Joisey
My System

Quote:
wgmontgomery wrote: View Post
IMHO-clean tight bass is much more important than loud bass; quality over quantity, so to speak.
Amen to that. I will always take articulation over volume. I too want detail, not noise.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite

Old 06-19-12, 03:34 PM   #7
HTS Administrator
News Anchor

Todd Anderson
MD
My System
I started this thread.

Well... hopefully this sub will deliver just that! Because I'm in agreement with both of you!

Old 06-19-12, 04:55 PM   #8
Inactive

Ty
Since: Aug 2010
Panama City Fl

I own a pair of the VTF2 Mk3s. Put simply, I think you would gain everything that the Energy lacks, and you would gain them in spades.

That having been said I also want to mention that control plays a large part in your sub's performance, and a larger part than you may think. As an example I recently upgraded to a Sherwood R-972 AVR and a completely unexpected benefit of that upgrade was not just improved bass control but vastly improved bass control. Audyssey MultEQ in my former AVR was simply no match for what I get now from the Hsu. Ive also calibrated the Hsu with Audyssey MultEQ XT and I dont think it compared to what I get now from my sub, though admittedly that was some time ago. So I guess the moral of the story is the sub itself is only part of the equation but certainly upgrading to a Hsu over your energy will result in a tighter and stronger impact, as well as a more refined sound.

Old 06-19-12, 05:06 PM   #9
HTS Administrator
News Anchor

Todd Anderson
MD
My System
I started this thread.

^^^. Thanks for the input. I'm really excited to get this bad boy and fire it up! My home theater is only 1800 cubic feet... The tech at HSU said this sub will be plenty!

As for the AVR... I use an Elite receiver... And I have a feedback destroyer which I successfully used in conjunction with REW to help tame the Energy. So, I'm hoping I can have some success getting the most from the HSU.

Old 06-19-12, 06:52 PM   #10
Shackster

Since: Apr 2011
Atlanta, GA

I have a vtf3mk3 and LOVE IT. It's setup upside down firing into my side of the sofa. It'd be right side up but "someone" didn't want it on her side. Hsu said it can even be setup 90deg from normal if need be. This sub rocks with music and movies and plays everything very clearly and has never sounded boomy at all. Only regret is that I couldn't afford the rosenut finish at the time, although the satin black is very nice as well. You bought a great sub and should enjoy it for years to come. Congrats.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Manufactured Speakers | Subwoofers > Home Audio Subwoofers »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »