Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

8Likes

post #91 of 208 Old 01-08-14, 11:19 PM
Senior Shackster

Joe

Re: Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread

Quote:
Pilk wrote: View Post
Watched THe Hurt Locker last weekend. Ummmm....couple scenes were crazy! I decided at that moment I didn't really need another sub. But I see how guys get addicted to the affect and always pushing for more. I've already got upgraditus...but probably will be able to resist for a while. Thinking about updating my LRC to some DIY speakers.

Serious question though...would a third make much of a difference? Still thinking about a stand for my center channel. In stead of going out and buying a $100 stand...I can pony up an extra $400 and make it out of a subwoofer...
Get these instead for $40! http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Adju...okshelf+stands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 208 Old 02-16-14, 10:27 PM

This sub matches magnepan setup instructions for center channel integration. If instructions followed I must bypass umc2 bass management and rely on sub features. SVS does not have same same features for this unique magnepan recommendation.
post #93 of 208 Old 03-23-14, 11:18 PM

I now have sub mated with mmg mains, mmgc and mmgc surrounds. Directed by umc 200 and powered with xpr5. Bypass bass management and set sub at 60 crossover, low bass extension and 24 db. Perfect for DD or music. Sub set between left front and center. Blends with Maggie's.
post #94 of 208 Old 03-23-14, 11:27 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Cool. Rythmik subs are very flexible and the ones above the lv12 are even more so.

How do you like those Maggies for movies?
post #95 of 208 Old 03-30-14, 01:08 PM
Shackster
Kevin D'Aquila

Hey all. Pardon my tangent, but just wanted to thank Jim for an excellent review. I now have an LV12R on order and can't wait until it gets here!

Had trouble finding impressions on it, but was pretty sure it's perfect for me. I have 5 x Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE -- which are surprisingly capable, but by design trade the bottom two octaves for a diminutive footprint. Thankfully these teeny speakers have no trouble down to 80Hz (truly a wonder of engineering on Dave Fabrikant's part), so I'm hoping with that crossover point the sub won't sound localized.

The Ascends have a neutral, effortless quality to them. Sounds like the Rythmik will be just the ticket. The only thing I'm worried about is placement, since I don't have too much flexibility in where it can go (behind TV either left or right on a narrow wall is it).
post #96 of 208 Old 03-30-14, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
kdaq wrote: View Post
Hey all. Pardon my tangent, but just wanted to thank Jim for an excellent review. I now have an LV12R on order and can't wait until it gets here!
Congrats on your new toy! I'm glad my review was helpful to you.

After you've had the opportunity to get it broken in and tuned be sure to come back and post your impressions. Comments from actual owners are a good source of information for others.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #97 of 208 Old 03-30-14, 04:09 PM
Shackster
Kevin D'Aquila

Thanks much! Will do.
post #98 of 208 Old 04-03-14, 01:34 PM
Shackster
Kevin D'Aquila

It's too early to post a balanced view of my impressions of the LV12R, but I wanted to quickly post about my setup experience before I forget the details.

Unpacking

Thankfully I found the box was small enough to fit through standard doorways, and light enough to push around by myself. It was single-boxed but with some of the beefiest padding I've ever seen. I used the included "skateboard" to slide the sub out with the box on its side, and it was really easy to remove that way.

Hookup
For hookup I decided to go with LFE. Didn't have any quality single audio cables (and I didn't feel like researching if 75 ohm composite video cables were suitable for this), so I used one side of a quality stereo cable.

Receiver Config
My receiver (an ancient Denon AVR1905) was set for all small speakers, crossover at 80Hz, subwoofer enabled, and bass to subwoofer only (not mixed with mains). Also set the appropriate distance from listening position to sub.

First thing I did was throw on a bass-heavy song. It didn't sound any different. I put my hand on the sub and felt vibrations, which confused me. My first thought was that I should check the gain on the sub channel.

I put the receiver in test tone mode and started adjusting gain for each channel. The sub was at 0db. I adjusted it up and the sub came to life. What the?

Turns out it was the auto-on mode. For whatever reason, the sub didn't fire-up until I went into test-tone mode and made an adjustment. After that, I clicked the sub's power switch it to "on" instead of auto. Will have to play with this more later to see if it happens again.

Amp Tuning

Now that I had some bass, it was time to tune. With receiver gain at 0 and volume on the amp at 50% (12 o'clock), I could barely hear it. Breaking out an SPL meter app on my phone, I found the sub output was indeed much lower than other channels. Had to crank the amp volume up to about 70% to get the SPL to match.

Once I tried some test material at this level, I decided to trust my own perception over the meter and dialed it back a few ticks.

Placement

I have a rectangular room with the TV, mains, and sub against a narrow side. The sub is right of the TV, about a foot away from the back wall to give the port some breathing room, and a couple feet from the side wall.

Due to the layout of my room it would be tough to move the sub anywhere else. I'm hoping it does well here. Need to continue break-in, do some critical listening, and get a feel for it. Also need to read-up on how to recognize if I'm hearing any audio anomalies that could be placement-related (or if I need to invest in any diagnostic equipment). I must admit I don't know how to recognize that just yet.

Initial Impression

I believe that the break-in period is as much for my brain as it is for the sub. You read about how this thing is nuanced and not to expect flabby, muddy bass -- but I was still surprised when I fired it up.

Not that I don't know what quality bass sounds like -- I'm a headphone junkie with a few capable setups -- but it's different with speakers. I expected to be hearing some low notes, but more often than not it was something else entirely.

OK, I'm going to cheat and relay an early impression. Can't help myself

1) I feel more of the low end in my gut than I hear

2) A few rare songs with an airy or expansive feel to them, perhaps recorded in interesting acoustic environments, give more goosebumps. They're somehow more enveloping. It's like the sub is providing my brain spacial cues that make the whole presentation more believable. I haven't heard this effect in many places yet but it's pretty stunning when it happens.

Really excited. Can't wait to spend more time with it!
post #99 of 208 Old 04-03-14, 06:26 PM
Banned!

My System

Quote:
kdaq wrote: View Post
Really excited. Can't wait to spend more time with it!

Give it about forty to sixty hours to break-in.

Congratulations!

post #100 of 208 Old 04-03-14, 06:54 PM
Senior Shackster

Joe

Funny thing is all my last 3 subs I've gotten were broken in, so I never had to do them on mine. I hope to see some detail pics of the setup as well. Most of my setups are either 1 or 2 o' clock on the gain. Looking foward to your review and continue to enjoy!