Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread - Page 12 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

8Likes

post #111 of 208 Old 10-10-14, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread

Quote:
Autorotate wrote: View Post
This was the most thorough review I have found on the forums. I know you said the tests were done in a 1700 cu ft room. Do you think that (1) of these LV12R subs is enough for that size room or would (1) FV15HP have been better? I'm curious as I have the same amount of room, but don't have the space for (2) subs.
I'm glad you found my review beneficial. It's comments such as yours that make all the time and effort worthwhile.

A single LV-12R was not stressed by my room; it would be able to handle almost anything you might care to throw at it. Depending upon your expectations you may not need anything else.

I've actually had an opportunity to hear the FV15HP in person, so I can do a bit of a compare-n-contrast between them. The FV is a beast, in every sense of the word. Size, output, depth, you name it. The difference is quite evident, and I was a little taken aback by what that subwoofer can do. It's no wallflower -- it's big and brash -- so if you want the ultimate experience you should definitely consider it.

The LV-12R will put a smile on your face for sure. The FV15HP will do that as well, but it has enough extra so your neighbor will also be smiling (assuming he/she likes LFE ).

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 208 Old 10-10-14, 07:13 PM
Shackster

TheJman, thank you again for coming through. I have spent weeks reading whether (1) 12 would be enough or not before I found your post. I am going to give the one a test for now. I can always upgrade to the 15 in the future. I just wanted something I wasnt going to be disappointed with. And you confirmed that in your posts. Thanks again!
post #113 of 208 Old 10-10-14, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
Autorotate wrote: View Post
TheJman, thank you again for coming through. I have spent weeks reading whether (1) 12 would be enough or not before I found your post. I am going to give the one a test for now. I can always upgrade to the 15 in the future. I just wanted something I wasnt going to be disappointed with. And you confirmed that in your posts. Thanks again!
You're quite welcome, and I highly doubt you'll be disappointed.

If you decide that the LV-12R is for you please be certain to come back and post your opinion. Comments from owners are always welcome.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #114 of 208 Old 10-11-14, 09:12 AM
Shackster

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
You're quite welcome, and I highly doubt you'll be disappointed.

If you decide that the LV-12R is for you please be certain to come back and post your opinion. Comments from owners are always welcome.

Absolutely will do!
post #115 of 208 Old 10-16-14, 02:30 PM
Shackster
Kevin D'Aquila

Talking Re: Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread

About a half year later, I'm still not ready to post my own full impressions just yet, as I've switched out my receiver once, and am just about to do it a second time. Haven't gotten the full system to sound spot-on just yet.

I do want to talk about a great opportunity I had recently to have some fun and help out a friend who is considering a sub purchase. He has a vintage Dahlquist DQ-10 stereo pair in a small listening room. The soundstage and imaging is really something.

I brought my LV12R over to pair with them. After some tinkering we found that a crossover somewhere between 50 and 60 Hz worked best, and dialed-in volume and phase (using stereo inputs, not LFE).

Then we spent a few hours jumping between CDs. As expected, most everything had added life to it. In some cases, the sub barely made a difference, as the recording didn't do much in that bottom octave. In other cases, we noticed details here and there that made a song feel new. Overall, a very nice pairing.

There was this one recording, though. It was jazz, I forgot the artist. The thing about it was that the band was playing together in a room, and you could hear the room. Spacial cues to the brain or something, I don't know, but it was unmistakeable. We got up and turned off the sub. *poof*, the room was gone. Turned the sub back on, and it clicked right into focus again.

To me this is what has impressed me most in my listening. The LV12R can hit you in the gut (which I love), but what finesse!
post #116 of 208 Old 10-16-14, 04:08 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
kdaq wrote: View Post
About a half year later, I'm still not ready to post my own full impressions just yet, as I've switched out my receiver once, and am just about to do it a second time. Haven't gotten the full system to sound spot-on just yet.

I do want to talk about a great opportunity I had recently to have some fun and help out a friend who is considering a sub purchase. He has a vintage Dahlquist DQ-10 stereo pair in a small listening room. The soundstage and imaging is really something.

I brought my LV12R over to pair with them. After some tinkering we found that a crossover somewhere between 50 and 60 Hz worked best, and dialed-in volume and phase (using stereo inputs, not LFE).

Then we spent a few hours jumping between CDs. As expected, most everything had added life to it. In some cases, the sub barely made a difference, as the recording didn't do much in that bottom octave. In other cases, we noticed details here and there that made a song feel new. Overall, a very nice pairing.

There was this one recording, though. It was jazz, I forgot the artist. The thing about it was that the band was playing together in a room, and you could hear the room. Spacial cues to the brain or something, I don't know, but it was unmistakeable. We got up and turned off the sub. *poof*, the room was gone. Turned the sub back on, and it clicked right into focus again.

To me this is what has impressed me most in my listening. The LV12R can hit you in the gut (which I love), but what finesse!
Yep, Its one articulate sub that can also thump the chest if the bass calls for it.
post #117 of 208 Old 11-17-14, 08:24 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

My sub at the starting of Edge Of Tomorrow... I've not know bass in a flick like the start of this one. I took a piece of painters tape which I stuck on and off on a carpet 5 times before putting it on the sub to help show the woofer movement.

www.youtube.com/embed/ghO2UEmZU7s?

Last edited by 3dbinCanada; 11-17-14 at 09:28 AM.
post #118 of 208 Old 11-26-14, 07:53 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
kdaq wrote: View Post
Being a huge jazz fan, I really would like to know what recording this was. Can you please check with your friend?

Thanks
post #119 of 208 Old 11-26-14, 07:58 AM
Shackster

My System

So I bought a F12 for my 2 channel setup a little less than a month ago. It's in a 1000 cubic foot room. I LOVE IT!!

Now I'm thinking that I want some Rythmik for my HT setup as well. The room that the sub is going into is open to other areas of the house and is (totally guessing here) about 3500 cubic feet total. I wish that Rhythmik had a ported sub priced in between the LV12R and the FV15HP because it's a pretty drastic price difference. As is stands, I don't think the FV15HP would pass WAF as well.

My question: Would the ported LV12R in 3500 cu ft be anywhere near the F12 in 1000 cu ft?

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Last edited by Scott.C.McMahon; 11-26-14 at 08:12 AM.
post #120 of 208 Old 11-26-14, 09:51 AM
Shackster
Kevin D'Aquila

Quote:
Scott.C.McMahon wrote: View Post
Being a huge jazz fan, I really would like to know what recording this was. Can you please check with your friend?

Thanks
Sure Scott, I'll ask.

Quote:
Scott.C.McMahon wrote: View Post
My question: Would the ported LV12R in 3500 cu ft be anywhere near the F12 in 1000 cu ft?
I have my LV12R in about 1900 cu ft. It's amazing, but there are clear dead spots (even with XT32). I think a second LV12R would be perfect to me in this space. Of course, this is a bit of a subjective subject, and I'm not sure how average I am. I'd like to think I value neutral, accurate response, but maybe I like a little emphasized low end sometimes.

I'm no expert but I expect that you may find a single LV12R to be lacking in 3500 cu ft. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if two LV12Rs served you better in that space than a single FV15HP.