Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread - Page 13 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

8Likes

post #121 of 208 Old 11-26-14, 10:26 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Re: Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread

Quote:
Scott.C.McMahon wrote: View Post
I wish that Rhythmik had a ported sub priced in between the LV12R and the FV15HP because it's a pretty drastic price difference. As is stands, I don't think the FV15HP would pass WAF as well.
There used to be a sub between the FV15HP and the LV12, called the FV15 (not HP), but it was discontinued. However, I believe there is a new sub planned that would fill that gap again. I believe they're calling it the FVX15. I don't know when it will be available, however, and I'm not sure the WAF will be any higher for it than for the current FV15HP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 208 Old 11-26-14, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
My question: Would the ported LV12R in 3500 cu ft be anywhere near the F12 in 1000 cu ft?
I suspect the LV12R would struggle to cope with that much space, especially when asked to perform HT duties (which require both depth and output). Would duals pass the WAF test? A pair might do it.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #123 of 208 Old 11-26-14, 01:25 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
I suspect the LV12R would struggle to cope with that much space, especially when asked to perform HT duties (which require both depth and output). Would duals pass the WAF test? A pair might do it.
In your opinion, would it handle that much space for music from an output standpoint? With the exception of some dubstep or club, most music doesn't have stuff down low.
post #124 of 208 Old 11-26-14, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
Insearchof wrote: View Post
In your opinion, would it handle that much space for music from an output standpoint? With the exception of some dubstep or club, most music doesn't have stuff down low.
If your expectations are reasonable it should be alright. It may not prove to be an enveloping representation of the material, but since the LV12R has solid output I don't imagine it would be weak either.

-Jim

post #125 of 208 Old 11-26-14, 06:53 PM
Shackster
Kevin D'Aquila

Quote:
Being a huge jazz fan, I really would like to know what recording this was. Can you please check with your friend?
Thanks
Scott,

It was off the album Moanin' by Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, song was either The Drum Thunder Suite or Moanin', not sure which.

Cheers,

-Kevin
post #126 of 208 Old 11-27-14, 11:49 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
I think I read somewhere that the LV12R was +2.5db over the F12. It might have been on Rhythmik's website. I can't find it now. I also need to measure the space because I was only guessing 3500 cu ft. That could be way off.
post #127 of 208 Old 11-27-14, 12:20 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
Would duals pass the WAF test? A pair might do it.
Well, I have some bad news. I just measured that space and it is 5300 cubic feet. That is much larger than I thought. I have a space in the basement that I will be building in the next few months that will be a dedicated theater space. In the meantime, this LV12R was going to be in the 5300 space upstairs to hold me over until everything gets moved to the 2100 cu ft space downstairs. At that time, I was either going to get another LV12R to have duals OR sell the LV12R and get a single FV15HP.

Either way I go with sub choice, I will get minidsp to tame response a bit.

I would get 10% off either choice. Dual LVr12's would be 1080 shipped. A single FV15HP would be 1289 shipped.

Thoughts?
post #128 of 208 Old 11-27-14, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Thoughts? That a single FV15HP might not be sufficient in a 5300 ft^3 room. I've heard one of those beasts in person, and there's no doubt it can do a lot, but the amount of space you have may be more than it can handle. For music, maybe, but for HT I have my reservations.

-Jim

post #129 of 208 Old 11-27-14, 10:15 PM
Shackster
Mike P.

LV12R vs. GR SW-12-04 w/A370PEQ & DIY cabs?

Hi folks,

For my all music setup, I'm trying to decide between stereo pairs of either LV12Rs, or putting together Danny Richie's DIY cabinets for the GR Research SW-12-4 drivers and the Rythmik 370 watt PEQ plate amps, for a little more money than the LV12Rs. From what I've read here, the LV12Rs are great for music, and so this is not one of those sealed vs. ported sub questions.

Does the additional flexibility that the A370PEQ amps provide make a significant difference in accurately dialing-in the subs in my 2300 cu. ft. room?

Or, am I asking the wrong question? (For example, should I be thinking about doing EQ exclusively in the digital realm instead of taking advantage of more configuration options with the PEQ amps in the analog realm?)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike
post #130 of 208 Old 11-28-14, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

I suppose it depends upon what your definition of "significant" is. Since I have few DIY skills I would probably opt for the LV12R; that's a 'turn key' system which has been designed holistically by someone with more experience than myself. That means all the heavy lifting has been done by a person schooled in such things. YMMV of course.

-Jim