Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread - Page 14 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

8Likes

post #131 of 208 Old 11-28-14, 09:30 PM
Shackster
Mike P.

Re: Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
I suppose it depends upon what your definition of "significant" is. Since I have few DIY skills I would probably opt for the LV12R; that's a 'turn key' system which has been designed holistically by someone with more experience than myself. That means all the heavy lifting has been done by a person schooled in such things. YMMV of course.
Jim,

Fair enough. FWIW, I have read and enjoyed a couple of your reviews, and I respect your opinion. Let me ask about your experience. I believe that you have auditioned or reviewed some of the more expensive Rythmik subs that come with the mid-range A370PEQ amps as standard equipment. Did you find the additional tweaks available with those amps (as compared to the LV12R amps) made a big improvement when it came to dialing in your system? Or was the difference relatively minor? I'm just trying to get a general sense of the practical benefit of the additional functionality that comes with those amplifiers. It would be great from where I sit (and from the perspective of my bank account) if the LV12Rs did everything I needed. Thanks for taking the time.

Best regards,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 208 Old 11-28-14, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

You emphasized "big" in italics, which implies you're expecting something rather extraordinary. Depending upon your circumstances that may or may not be what you achieve.

If your receiver doesn't have any type of auto EQ (Audyssey, YPAO, etc) then all the controls on the higher end amps would prove beneficial, allowing you to tailor the output to your preferences. But if you do have one of the advanced EQ systems then those extra functions could be less important because your electronics might provide a workable substitute.

They proved advantageous for me because I like to tinker and fine tune, perhaps more than most, but unless you're into minutia as well they could just be superfluous.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #133 of 208 Old 12-09-14, 08:10 AM
Senior Shackster

I finally pulled the trigger on an LV12r and it arrived yesterday. I unboxed it and set it next to the center channel speaker where the previous sub had been and sounded best. The port opening is about 4-5 inches off the front wall. I didn't run YPAO yet but set it manually at 60hz (same as preivous sub) and played a ton of music last night while trying different settings on the amp. I didn't try it with any movies yet as it's not really my priority at this point. My focus is the music and deciding if I'm keeping this.
A couple of quick questions for current owners:
How long did it take to break in? Does the break in period really make a difference with the servo control?
Also, Does anybody think these have too much detail with music? I noticed almost too much texture and definition of bass with music.
The texture I'm hearing seems to happen in music that was recorded with an actual bass player.
It's not nearly as pronounced in electronic music with synth bass lines.
Is this excruciating detail the nature of the LV12r's sound? Will a break in period make a difference?
One last thought, I'm running the gain at about 3/4 to get the output I'm looking for. Too hot before its had a sufficient break in period?

post #134 of 208 Old 12-09-14, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

There is indeed a break-in period, which is essentially time for the surround and spider to loosen up a little. The difference won't be significant, from an audible standpoint, but generally what happens is you hear a 'softening' of the sound; in the beginning it tends to be a bit sharper before things loosen up.

I've never heard anyone say that a subwoofer had "too much texture", but there's a first time for everything I suppose. Is it possible you're just not used to hearing all the detail? What sub did you have before? It might have been a very poor performer, and if so you could have become accustomed to sloppy bass.

-Jim

post #135 of 208 Old 12-09-14, 09:11 AM
Senior Shackster

Thanks Jman, I'm also wondering if I'm just not used to what seems to me to be explicit detail.
I'm coming from an Emptek Es1010i which sounded fairly articulate to me but IMO was lacking in the extension department. As it broke in, It got better in the output and extension department but still wasn't enough.
Maybe I am looking for a softening of the sound as you mentioned and will try to get this more broken in over the next week or two.
I have listened critically to other well reviewed ID subs (SVS and HSU) and have never heard this type of detail in those.
I like how both those companies' subs sound and seriously considered those before going with Rythmik as they aren't usually considered bloated, loose or one note wonders.
Any thoughts on pointing the port away from the wall? Maybe placing the sub parallel to the wall as opposed to perpendicular? Am I possibly picking up on some kind of cone/port noise?
Another thought, this thing doesn't seem to move much air at the port...well, with music anyways.
I played some of my favorite test tracks that barely made this sub breeze at the port. The room was pulsing to the music though. Hehe
post #136 of 208 Old 12-09-14, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Any type of untoward sounds would not be interpreted as detail, so I doubt you're hearing cone or port noises. 5-6 inches of space between the sub and rear wall should be fine. I suspect there's no issue there either.

The amount of air movement will be in direct relation to how hard the driver is work. As long as the sound/output is to your liking I wouldn't concern myself with the volume of air exiting the port. Does the Ferrari driver care how hard his engine is working, or does he just concern himself with how fast the car is going?

-Jim

post #137 of 208 Old 12-09-14, 12:09 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Insearchof,

I would say your statements about having perhaps too much detail are a testament to Rythmik's servo control and design MO. That's the point, and Rythmik's calling card really, the thing that most differentiates them from anything else. It's even rather telling that you're hearing things from your new sub that you didn't hear from other very well regarded subs (like SVS).

I don't currently own a Rythmik (though it will be my next sub), so I don't know whether it will "soften up." But your comments reinforce that the intent of Rythmik is well represented in their products.

The nice thing about Rythmik is that the amp offers enough adjustability that you can probably tone that level of detail down a bit using the damping and extension settings, if you want to experiment a bit.
post #138 of 208 Old 12-09-14, 12:52 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Insearchof,

If I may add some comments in to the detail. I too have an LV12-R and its very detailed in its bass delivery. I've even heard pitch changes in explosions found in some movie soundtracks, a first for me. I was listening at slightly above conversation SPL so I know I was not over driving the unit. Jim was correct in stating that Rythmik is letting you hear the bass that your previous sub smeared. The Rthymik totally outperforms PSB subsonic 5 which it replaced in terms of articulation and extension. The PSB had a commendably flat frequency response as well but the Rythmik is simply, just a far better sub.
post #139 of 208 Old 12-09-14, 12:54 PM
Senior Shackster

I'm going to keep testing the amp's available settings while letting it break in and see if it takes some of the edge off the sound.
I think this will be a great sub once broken in but I'm on the fence right now and while I really, really want to love this sub, I'm not sure if this persists that the sonic signature of the LV12r is for me. I'll know better in a week or so.
I plan to let it play away while I'm at work to speed up the break in.
post #140 of 208 Old 12-09-14, 11:58 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Insearchof, I know everyone has their own taste, so I'm not questioning yours, but I'm really wondering what it is about the extra articulation you find off putting.