Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread - Page 15 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

8Likes

post #141 of 208 Old 12-10-14, 08:07 AM
Shackster

Re: Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread

I have had my LV12R sub for a few months now and I am quite pleased with it so far. I am thinking about adding a second LV12R and I wanted to get some feedback from fellow owners that have duals. My room is the classic above the garage bonus room with knee walls along the side. However, about half-way down on one side the room opens up so it is L-shaped. The room is at least 3000 sq ft. I am running a 5.1 system with all Ascend HTM-200 SE speakers.

I look forward to reading for your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 208 Old 12-10-14, 09:58 AM
Senior Shackster

Insearchof, I know everyone has their own taste, so I'm not questioning yours, but I'm really wondering what it is about the extra articulation you find off putting.

Sorry, meant to quote this and hit QR by accident....

It's a little difficult to describe.
Probably the best way to describe what I'm hearing would be to call it a deep growl with bass lines from actual bass players. It's like I'm hearing more than just the intended note - something that was captured in the recording of the bass line whether it's a 5 string, fretless or upright. It's completely revealing but also IMO muddies up the actual notes. Some kind of harmonics of the instrument I'm not used to hearing.
On most electronic/synth bass lines, that explicit texture isn't there. I generally hear the note and the note only.
That description probably doesn't help much.

ETA:If this is normal of the LV12r, it's ruining some of my go to songs due to its revealing nature. They weren't recorded well evidently.

Last edited by Insearchof; 12-10-14 at 10:04 AM.
post #143 of 208 Old 12-19-14, 03:49 PM

Hi,
I'm brand new to the forum and wanted some thoughts on the LVR12 in my space. I emailed Rythmik using their web form a few days ago and haven't heard back yet. I'm anxious to make an order and was hoping I could get some advice.

I just upgraded my receiver to a Yamaha RX-V675 and have some low end speakers, a old pair of infinity sm 85 and an old polk center channel. I'd like to get the LV12R but am not sure if it's overkill. The floor plan is open for the most part, estimate 2000-2500 cubic feet (if I measured right, I couldn't post a link to the floor plan).

It's an apartment so not looking for anything louder or larger for the most part but open to suggestions.

I have spent a good amount of time on this and ended up at the LV12R. I'd say 40% music.

Thanks in advance!

post #144 of 208 Old 12-19-14, 05:52 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Quote:
RajLives wrote: View Post
Hi,
I'm brand new to the forum and wanted some thoughts on the LVR12 in my space. I emailed Rythmik using their web form a few days ago and haven't heard back yet. I'm anxious to make an order and was hoping I could get some advice.

I just upgraded my receiver to a Yamaha RX-V675 and have some low end speakers, a old pair of infinity sm 85 and an old polk center channel. I'd like to get the LV12R but am not sure if it's overkill. The floor plan is open for the most part, estimate 2000-2500 cubic feet (if I measured right, I couldn't post a link to the floor plan).

It's an apartment so not looking for anything louder or larger for the most part but open to suggestions.

I have spent a good amount of time on this and ended up at the LV12R. I'd say 40% music.

Thanks in advance!
Subs are never overkill because you can always turn them down. I think the LV12R would be perfect for your needs - especially if you can't go any larger. Since it's an apartment you can always turn it down if it's too much but the general rule is to get the best you can afford so there's overhead when you want more boom boom.

Rythmik is a really small company so it may take Brian or Enrico a few days to get back to you but their customer service is top notch.
post #145 of 208 Old 12-21-14, 08:03 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
RajLives wrote: View Post
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

I have the LV12R and its an awesome sub...capable of hitting 20 Hz with authority and clean bass at that. The servo makes its perfect for music applications too. Check out my equipment list and gallery.

Like the Law mentioned, Rthymik is small company and Brian and Eurico are great people to deal with. Their support is top notch. I have dealt with both and they were most helpful. I would receive emails from both of them between 1 and 3 am in the morning answering my questions.

I think the LV12 would be a good fit for you.
post #146 of 208 Old 12-21-14, 09:48 AM
Senior Shackster
Bud

My System

Wow with all the great testimonials I will have to listen to these someday. I love articulate bass, loud and earth shaking are great also so to get both would be great
post #147 of 208 Old 12-21-14, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the responses. Still haven't heard back from the company and was looking to make an order but now they are backordered until mid February. Just my luck!
post #148 of 208 Old 01-23-15, 11:43 AM
Senior Shackster

Now that my LV12R has broken in somewhat, I'm going to add some thoughts.
A little background:
My room is a roughly 3800 cu ft living room with an attached kitchen and open on one end to a long hallway.
So far, the best place in my room to my ears for this or any sub is directly to the right of my center speaker.
My main LP is roughly 12 ft from the sub.

For movies:
Pretty much the standard fare here - LOTR Trilogy , The Hobbit movies, TDK. The last Underworld movie has some good thump in it too.
I rarely watch a movie without my wife and she despises felt bass. Even dialing this thing back to -5 on the receiver and running the gain back by a quarter on the sub itself, this thing pounds out felt bass in my room. The main LP is in what I believe to be a null and there is still impact there.
At Christmas we had a house full and we decided to watch Willow on blu-ray. As a good host I left the good seats to the family and stretched out on the floor with a pillow. I didn't make it more than 30 minutes on the floor. The amount of rumble and felt bass was over the top.
For me, this sub handles movies easily and is a rewarding experience. I don't play movies extremely loud but I'm not timid with the volume either.

For games:
Only 2 games I get a chance to play anymore: BF3 and MW3
Explosions are impressive. Gunfire pops with authority. It's an immersive experience.
On occassion I do push the volume while playing. Not anything insane but louder than movies. That doesn't stress the LV12r. It handles it and sounds tight and controlled the whole time.
Explosions don't just rumble and drone on. They shake the room when they should or they just make noise if they should.
Lesser subs I've owned/heard certainly get loud and make noise with these games but are generally incapable of a tactile feel.

For music:
This is my main priority for subs. Currently, I can't afford the floor space/cost for multiple sealed subs towards this end.
IMO, with this sub, that's ok. It never sounds bloated, bloomy, uncontrolled or one noted. For me, It is meticulously controlled and tight for music.
Styles include blues, jazz, country, EDM, pop and rock.
It will rock out and take what I can assume is only meant to destroy lesser subs.
I have a few new go-to songs to show people what this fairly large black box that's nearly front and center under my tv is for. It never disappoints me to see their reaction to what they feel.
Imo, this sub digs deep and does it cleanly. Bass drops upset weak stomachs.
I turn music up loud, really loud. Louder than movies or tv. Too loud for most guests. The LV12r never sounds stressed or overworked.
For the 1st week or 2 of listening to this sub before any real break-in, it sounded sterile and too detailed to me with music. I honestly thought I had made a mistake with the purchase and thought that there was something wrong with my hearing. From the reviews I had read, everyone seemed to really like the way the Rythmik sounded but this thing sounded too clean and detailed to me. I decided to give it more time to break-in and I'm glad I did. It's still detailed but now it's like it's more polished and a smoother, finer detail which is exactly what I was looking for.
I honestly only have one wish for the LV12r in my room: Just a bit more output for music. Extension? Great. Detail? Perfect. Control? Has it in spades. But I would be willing to see an even slightly larger enclosure to get a little bit more output without really cranking the dial. Maybe the same footprint but add a few inches of height? That's it. That's the only thing I would want more of. And I've flipped the switches around on the back and listened intently for hours at a time to see what I can get and it's close. Real close.
I keep thinking about the FV15hp and I think that it may check the box on my last wish for the LV12r and I doubt I could ever get approval from the decorating committee (that I'm not on) for that beast but I'm happy with the Lv12r. For now.

Last edited by Insearchof; 01-23-15 at 11:57 AM.
post #149 of 208 Old 01-23-15, 11:50 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Great report, and that's awesome that the sub has mellowed out a bit for you and that you're liking it. Regarding output, that is a rather large room for a single 12" sub of any ilk. I think you said that adding a second doesn't seem to be in the cards, but adding a second would be less expensive than moving to the FV15HP and would get you pretty close to its output.

Thanks for sharing your impressions.
post #150 of 208 Old 01-23-15, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
Insearchof wrote: View Post
I keep thinking about the FV15hp and I think that it may check the box on my last wish for the LV12r and I doubt I could ever get approval from the decorating committee (that I'm not on) for that beast but I'm happy with the Lv12r. For now.
I've heard both the LV12R and FV15HP with my own two ears and I can say unequivocally that there is no comparison. From my review you can tell I really liked the former, but the latter is in a completely different category. Other than its size - which is rather large - the FV15HP has absolutely no drawbacks.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite