Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread - Page 16 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

8Likes

post #151 of 208 Old 01-27-15, 11:00 PM
Shackster
John

Re: Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread

I'm looking at getting 2 LV12Rs. I can't seem to find a CEA - 2010 rating. What is the decibel rating at 20hz? Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 208 Old 02-03-15, 03:30 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Johnny_Mac_III wrote: View Post
I'm looking at getting 2 LV12Rs. I can't seem to find a CEA - 2010 rating. What is the decibel rating at 20hz? Thanks for your time.
I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and I did not get a response. I have seen several comments where members say they have owned dual LV12R's, but again, no one responded. I have one LV12R now and I still haven't had enough time on it to get it just right. I have to say when I was watching the Pacific for the first time a few days ago, I was really impressed with the sub and my modest 5.1 system with Ascend HTM-200 SE speakers.

During the airfield battle scenes I was tense because of the audio and visuals - wow. My room is over 3000 sq ft and I have been told that I need to add another LV12R to pressurize the room. I can't see spending over $1200 for the Rythmik FV15HP when it is likely a second LV12R will put me in subwoofer euphoria.

Hopefully, someone else will provide feedback.
post #153 of 208 Old 02-03-15, 07:14 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
tx56tn86ga06 wrote: View Post
I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and I did not get a response. I have seen several comments where members say they have owned dual LV12R's, but again, no one responded. I have one LV12R now and I still haven't had enough time on it to get it just right. I have to say when I was watching the Pacific for the first time a few days ago, I was really impressed with the sub and my modest 5.1 system with Ascend HTM-200 SE speakers.

During the airfield battle scenes I was tense because of the audio and visuals - wow. My room is over 3000 sq ft and I have been told that I need to add another LV12R to pressurize the room. I can't see spending over $1200 for the Rythmik FV15HP when it is likely a second LV12R will put me in subwoofer euphoria.

Hopefully, someone else will provide feedback.
Another LV12R will smooth out the bass response in the room and increase the level at 20Hz by 3db I think. Have you contacted Rythmik and did you see the review of the LV12R by J-MAN?

post #154 of 208 Old 02-04-15, 04:29 PM
Shackster

3dbinCanada,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I read J-Man's LV12R review and that was largely the deciding factor in going with the LV12R sub. I have exchanged notes with Enrico at Rythmik and he told me I would need another sub to pressurize my 3000 sq ft room. I wanted to get some feedback from other members that had experience with dual LV12R's before I place my order.
post #155 of 208 Old 02-04-15, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
tx56tn86ga06 wrote: View Post
Thanks for the response. Yes, I read J-Man's LV12R review and that was largely the deciding factor in going with the LV12R sub. I have exchanged notes with Enrico at Rythmik and he told me I would need another sub to pressurize my 3000 sq ft room. I wanted to get some feedback from other members that had experience with dual LV12R's before I place my order.
A pair of LV12R's won't be able to dig quite as low as a single FV15HP can, but your advantage with the former is 3dB if they're separated and 6dB co-located. Those may sound like paltry gains but in essence 3dB is perceived aurally as double the output, so it's certainly not insignificant. As mentioned by some of the others, if properly placed duals will provide a smoother overall frequency response as well. Double bonus.

While I'll admit to being a huge fan of the FV15HP, given your situation I'm not certain it's the best approach to take. You seem to really enjoy the LV12R so adding a second would give you more of a good thing. And, it keeps more $$ in your pocket. No downside to any of that really.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #156 of 208 Old 02-06-15, 12:03 PM
Shackster

Jim,

Thanks for the comments. I will likely go with the second LV12R, but you sure make the FV15HP sound interesting. Did you go from the LV12R to the FV15HP? If so, what drove your decision?
post #157 of 208 Old 02-07-15, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

I did a formal review of the LV12R, which can be found here. I heard the FV15HP at a GTG about a year and a half back. It was put through a torture test of brutal content that lasted about 25-30 minutes and it did quite well.

-Jim

post #158 of 208 Old 05-27-15, 10:56 PM
Shackster
John

I wanted to update everyone. After talking with with Jim, reading reviews, and talking to Rythmik; about a month and a half ago I purchased an LV12r to go with my Ascend CMT-340 se fronts and center and Ascend HTM-200 se surrounds.

I have to say this $500 sub is VERY musical. It blends very well with the system. I find that in my 1900 cubic foot room that Mid extension setting seems to be what I favor the most. I actually like high the best, but it just doesn't do it for movies ( I believe, because the extension gets compromised in the process).

Having said that, I've gotten a taste of such a good thing and think I might have upgradeitus already

I was thinking if I got a F12,F15, or FV15; I could get my lower extension while still being able to keep the high damping (which I am a big fan of). Does the .5 damping setting work for movies if the low extension is still preserved on those models? Or should .5 damping be avoided for movies. If so, I will just keep my LV12r, because the only reason I would be going for a different model is to get a tighter sound that would work in movies as well.

Or...I just get another LV12r this summer and even out the bass in the room and eradicate those nulls? Would something like Audyssey xt32 allow me to set my LV12r to Low 1.1 (19hz) and give me a tighter bass sound like a .5 damping setting would give?
post #159 of 208 Old 05-28-15, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

I'm glad you're enjoying the LV12R! It's certainly proven to be a jack-of-all-trades.

I'd skip the F12; nice sub, for sure, but it would be a step in a different direction than where you want to head. Regardless of which one you go for note that High Damping will set a limiter in the same mid-upper 20Hz range. While the FV15 will have more overall 'presence', it will still seem neutered on bass-heavy movies. Cutting off a full octave will be noticeable either way.

Adding a 2nd LV12R could (key word) help you even out nulls. I say "could" because it's all placement dependent. If you're only options aren't conducive to filling in those dead spot than it won't help in that regard. The misconception is that multiple subwoofers instantly solves all such issues, but that's simply not the case. Unless you can place them in the correct locations you may end up making the situation worse. Note that no matter how many LV12R's you get the extension will not be lower; a sub can extend only so deep, and no matter how many of them you have that doesn't change. You'll achieve greater total output, yes, but not deeper bass.

Audyssey can not change the damping factor. Think of it as a fancy EQ, where the primary goal is to flatten the overall frequency response. In this case it can also balance out the individual channel levels, but it can't alter the inherent design characters of a speaker or subwoofer.

-Jim

post #160 of 208 Old 05-28-15, 09:23 AM
Shackster
John

Thanks Jim. I will go with another LV12r since the high damping factor will do the same thing on the other subs. It's really a great sub, especially for the money.