Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread - Page 18 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

8Likes

post #171 of 208 Old 12-28-15, 05:43 PM
Mike

Re: Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread

Got the LV12R last Wednesday, got it set up, and ran it pretty hard over the long holiday.... Very impressed! It seems to have about the same amount of output as the LFM-1, but it definitely sounds better, and has better articulation at low volumes.

It had very good output on all of my test Blu-ray's, and it is very apparent that the servo keeps the woofer under control on sudden explosions and other bass peaks. I was most impressed while watching the Bourne Identity while family was over on low volume and noticing how much detail was still produced at far below reference level.

On Sunday my son played the new Battlefield 4 video game on the Xbox One, and it was honestly jaw dropping. The amount of output produced during this game from gun shots, grenade explosions, sniper fire, etc. was crazy, and just so composed, clean, and detailed from this sub.

Very happy owner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 208 Old 12-28-15, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

I'm glad it worked out so well for you. I can't even begin to tell you how many people have made similar comments to me since the review was published (on this forum as well as several others). Rythmik certainly appears to have hit one out of the park with the LV12R.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #173 of 208 Old 12-30-15, 09:01 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
overthebars wrote: View Post
Got the LV12R last Wednesday, got it set up, and ran it pretty hard over the long holiday.... Very impressed! It seems to have about the same amount of output as the LFM-1, but it definitely sounds better, and has better articulation at low volumes.

It had very good output on all of my test Blu-ray's, and it is very apparent that the servo keeps the woofer under control on sudden explosions and other bass peaks. I was most impressed while watching the Bourne Identity while family was over on low volume and noticing how much detail was still produced at far below reference level.

On Sunday my son played the new Battlefield 4 video game on the Xbox One, and it was honestly jaw dropping. The amount of output produced during this game from gun shots, grenade explosions, sniper fire, etc. was crazy, and just so composed, clean, and detailed from this sub.

Very happy owner!
Congrats on the LV12-R !!! Its Jim's fault I bought one after reading his review. Its the best purchase I ever made.
post #174 of 208 Old 12-30-15, 06:09 PM
Senior Shackster

morca

Have any of you had problem,s of missng scew,s.
A friend his F12 has come in but there is a air /screw hole in je plateamp.
The box contains a screw but is is not the right one.

Simulation is no substitute for thought.
post #175 of 208 Old 12-30-15, 06:17 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
morca wrote: View Post
Have any of you had problem,s of missng scew,s. A friend his F12 has come in but there is a air /screw hole in je plateamp. The box contains a screw but is is not the right one.
I would call and/or shoot them an email. They will definitely take care of you and make it right. I know from personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using HTShack
post #176 of 208 Old 12-30-15, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
morca wrote: View Post
Have any of you had problem,s of missng scew,s.
A friend his F12 has come in but there is a air /screw hole in je plateamp.
The box contains a screw but is is not the right one.
It's a bit difficult to translate this, but it seems like you're having an issue with an F12? If so, a thread directly associated to the LV12R review is probably not the best place to post this. It would be better to start a new thread dedicated to your particular concern.

-Jim

post #177 of 208 Old 01-07-16, 02:20 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
3dbinCanada wrote: View Post
New subs which appears to be based on teh same driver as the LV12R

Rythmik offers two more subs based on the same driver found on the LV12-R

A sealed sub with one driver: (L12) for $569.00
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L12_specs.html

A sealed sub with two drivers (L22) for $899.00
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L22_specs.html
Just when I thought it was safe to go to the shopping cart.

This year some HT equipment came crashing down the chimney, but no speakers.

Phase one is complete: Proof of concept: temp Silver Ticket grey screen (light rejecting silver material on back order for testing), PJ-on-a-box soon to be ceiling mounted, dejected TV on floor providing sound.

I just bought two Chane A5 towers, an A2 center and 6 A1s on my way to a 9.4.4... unless you save me from myself. I see lots of advice about going from one to two subs, and occasionally three, but I don't see that much about four. Is four a white whale, or will the room below warrant it?

The greatroom is 19' front to back x 30' incl. kit. x offcenter-vaulted popcorn 12'(ave 10'9"?). Kitchen to the left, hall/wall/office to the rear. MLP is 13' from a 120", 5' from the back wall. The apex of the vault is biased 4' from the front wall. For extra points the fireplace sticks out about 3'.

The receiver is an Onkyo TX NR-1030 (135W) with an Onkyo M-5010 (75w) 2ch amp to drive a pair of highs. It's got four sub preouts that I believe take up only two channels, thus allowing the 9.4.4 in my head.

Being new yet curmudgeonly I was leaning towards four LV12-Rs guessing four would even out the crazy room and fill it up. Dunno about pressurizing, but the hole where my wallet used to be sure is pressurizing. Now along comes the sealed L22, and my thinker blew a gasket.

Specific questions:
  1. Is four subs appropriate for this room?
  2. Are the LV12Rs sufficient for movies for this room?
  3. Would three (or four) sealed-yet-2x12" L22's be something worth thinking about instead?

Bonus questions while I'm here:
  1. Regarding the sides; considering the kitchen column in the last picture is 10' from the MLP as the most aesthetic place to put the side, and the fireplace side would be 8' from the other MLP side all tucked in the corner by the window, would the protruding fireplace kill the image if the side is still oriented straight at the MLP?
  2. If we pulled it to the edge of the fireplace it would be 1/2 the distance the other side would be. Can AVR correction correct that, or does the kitchen side have to come (way) closer?

Thanks!
post #178 of 208 Old 01-07-16, 09:11 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
fogyreef wrote: View Post
Just when I thought it was safe to go to the shopping cart.

This year some HT equipment came crashing down the chimney, but no speakers.

Phase one is complete: Proof of concept: temp Silver Ticket grey screen (light rejecting silver material on back order for testing), PJ-on-a-box soon to be ceiling mounted, dejected TV on floor providing sound.

I just bought two Chane A5 towers, an A2 center and 6 A1s on my way to a 9.4.4... unless you save me from myself. I see lots of advice about going from one to two subs, and occasionally three, but I don't see that much about four. Is four a white whale, or will the room below warrant it?

The greatroom is 19' front to back x 30' incl. kit. x offcenter-vaulted popcorn 12'(ave 10'9"?). Kitchen to the left, hall/wall/office to the rear. MLP is 13' from a 120", 5' from the back wall. The apex of the vault is biased 4' from the front wall. For extra points the fireplace sticks out about 3'.

The receiver is an Onkyo TX NR-1030 (135W) with an Onkyo M-5010 (75w) 2ch amp to drive a pair of highs. It's got four sub preouts that I believe take up only two channels, thus allowing the 9.4.4 in my head.

Being new yet curmudgeonly I was leaning towards four LV12-Rs guessing four would even out the crazy room and fill it up. Dunno about pressurizing, but the hole where my wallet used to be sure is pressurizing. Now along comes the sealed L22, and my thinker blew a gasket.

Specific questions:
  3. Would three (or four) sealed-yet-2x12" L22's be something worth thinking about instead?

1. Regarding the sides; considering the kitchen column in the last picture is 10' from the MLP as the most aesthetic place to put the side, and the fireplace side would be 8' from the other MLP side all tucked in the corner by the window, would the protruding fireplace kill the image if the side is still oriented straight at the MLP?
  2. If we pulled it to the edge of the fireplace it would be 1/2 the distance the other side would be. Can AVR correction correct that, or does the kitchen side have to come (way) closer?

Thanks!
That's a big area to pressurize. I'm thinking that two Rythmik FV15HP strategically placed would serve you better than 4 LV12-R .
post #179 of 208 Old 01-07-16, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
I've read these two questions over several times but I still can't discern what your asking. Can you expand on these some?

Quote:
Specific questions:
  1. Can you add some context to "appropriate"?
  2. Yes.
  3. Yes.
However, I do see an issue; location. Or more accurately, locations.

It's not often a subwoofer will sound the best where it looks the best, and for sure you can't just plop them down anywhere and get good results. In order to properly balance them you have to use measurement equipment or do the "sub crawl" (if you google that term you'll find a ton of info on it). In either case, you'll need freedom to place the units where they won't be fighting it out with each other. Barring that, they might actually end up creating quite the sonic mess. Of course, the more subs the more complex it can be. Judging by the pictures it appears there aren't a lot of places to install that many subs, so you may want to consider a different strategy.

You have a rather large amount of cubic volume to fill, so you will need a lot of output. Given your situation, what about dual FV15HP's instead? Those are very potent subs - especially in one port mode - and a pair of those would have enough output and depth to satisfy your needs. There's also two advantages to this approach; a pair of FV15HP's are cheaper than 4 L22's, and you would only have to find suitable locations for two units instead of four. Double bonus right there.

-Jim

post #180 of 208 Old 01-07-16, 11:30 AM
Senior Shackster

Just a quick update as I haven't added to this thread in a while.

I think I have settled on a 2nd LV12R. Due to some furniture arrangements being changed soon that's about all I'll have space for and it'll probably just barely fit.
I had almost convinced myself to go DIY and throw together a MartyCube to use as an end table when our furniture replacement became a priority. With the new furniture, I can't seem to find a good spot for a Martycube. It's just too large.
So, it looks like a 2nd LV12R is in the cards instead which isn't a bad thing and I'm sure the 2 Rythmiks will have a better SQ than anything I can build. The thought of integrating the Martycube with the current LV12R was keeping me awake at night. I know I could do it, but I wasn't sure exactly how I'd end up going about it.
Hoping to grab a couple of Chane towers and their center around the same time.
If everything pans out in the next few months, I'll post back my thoughts on dual LV12R's.