Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread - Page 19 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

8Likes

post #181 of 208 Old 01-07-16, 10:35 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Re: Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread

Quote:
fogyreef wrote: View Post

The receiver is an Onkyo TX NR-1030 (135W) with an Onkyo M-5010 (75w) 2ch amp to drive a pair of highs. It's got four sub preouts that I believe take up only two channels, thus allowing the 9.4.4 in my head.
Keep in mind that no receiver currently available can run a 9.x.4 system (unless you want to pay $20k for a Trinnov). You may have 13.1 outputs, but you won't be able to use more than 11.1 outputs at a time. Some receivers provide 13.1 outputs so you can have speakers placed and calibrated at 13 locations. This allows you to switch between 7.1.4 and 9.1.2 Atmos systems if you want, or use an upmixing mode that utilizes wides for non-Atmos tracks, while using overheads for Atmos tracks. But again, you won't be able to run 9.x.4 all at the same time. For Atmos, you will max out at 9.1.2 or 7.1.4.

Of course, we will likely have 9.1.4 or even 9.1.6 capability in the future at reasonable prices, so if running wires for it now will be easier than doing it later, definitely run the wires now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 208 Old 01-07-16, 11:08 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
I've read these two questions over several times but I still can't discern what your asking. Can you expand on these some?
Thanks Jim. For placing the side surround on the left the most convenient spot would be on a stand up against the column between the kitchen and nook. That's 10' from the edge of the couch, out of foot traffic.

For the side on the right, approximating equal distance would put the speaker against the window, tucked up against the fireplace behind the waving decoration, for a distance of 8'. Both left and right sides would be 90 degrees from the MLP.

Rewording the questions:
  1. Would tucking the speaker in the corner with the fireplace blocking the sound going to the front of the room and bouncing it to the back ruin the surround image?
  2. If so, and I moved the speaker to the front of the fireplace it would now be 5' to the right side of the couch compared to 10' for the left side speaker. Would that difference be too much for room correction to overcome?

Quote:
Can you add some context to "appropriate"?
Appropriate meaning enough to fill the room, smooth the room, not overwhelm the room, not be overkill, etc. In short, a good idea.

Quote:
However, I do see an issue; location. Or more accurately, locations.
I was indeed looking forward to figuring out a crawl with four subs. I'll go revisit the FV15HP idea. Thanks for your input.

Watt, me worried?
post #183 of 208 Old 01-07-16, 11:35 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
Keep in mind that no receiver currently available can run a 9.x.4 system (unless you want to pay $20k for a Trinnov). You may have 13.1 outputs, but you won't be able to use more than 11.1 outputs at a time. Some receivers provide 13.1 outputs so you can have speakers placed and calibrated at 13 locations. This allows you to switch between 7.1.4 and 9.1.2 Atmos systems if you want, or use an upmixing mode that utilizes wides for non-Atmos tracks, while using overheads for Atmos tracks. But again, you won't be able to run 9.x.4 all at the same time. For Atmos, you will max out at 9.1.2 or 7.1.4.

Of course, we will likely have 9.1.4 or even 9.1.6 capability in the future at reasonable prices, so if running wires for it now will be easier than doing it later, definitely run the wires now.
Does this take into account the 2ch external amp running a pair of highs with the 9.2 receiver?

I asked this earlier in another forum and didn't get an answer, and subsequently thought I figured it out.

Onkyo support told me I can run four subs. I took that to mean two channels of two subs each looking at the back of the receiver. Can you tell me what the white squares are indicating in SW1 and SW2?

Regardless, I'm advised to run two 15" subs now.

So I was expecting:
Left Front, Center, Right Front
Left Surround, Right Surround
Left Rear, Right Rear
Ceiling Left, Ceiling Right
Sub, Sub
Amp Height/Wide Left, Amp Height/Wide Right

Recalculating that's what, 9.2.2?

Watt, me worried?

post #184 of 208 Old 01-07-16, 11:59 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
Does this take into account the 2ch external amp running a pair of highs with the 9.2 receiver?

I asked this earlier in another forum and didn't get an answer, and subsequently thought I figured it out.

Onkyo support told me I can run four subs. I took that to mean two channels of two subs each looking at the back of the receiver. Can you tell me what the white squares are indicating in SW1 and SW2?

Regardless, I'm advised to run two 15" subs now.

So I was expecting:
Left Front, Center, Right Front
Left Surround, Right Surround
Left Rear, Right Rear
Ceiling Left, Ceiling Right
Sub, Sub
Amp Height/Wide Left, Amp Height/Wide Right

Recalculating that's what, 9.2.2?
It isn't perfectly clear what the white squares indicate, but according to the manual you can connect up to four subs to the unit. And they advertise it as a 9.2 receiver. So my suspicion is that Sub 1 and the corresponding jack in the white square represent one sub "channel" (the two connectors are the equivalent of an external Y-connector), while Sub 2 and the white-squared jack below it are the other sub "channel." I also suspect that they are different channels only with regard to being able to set distances and levels differently on each set of jacks. At any rate, those white-squared jacks are only for sub channels.

The receiver has nine channels of amplification, and so could run a 7.x.2 or a 5.x.4 system without external amplification. Adding the two-channel amplifier will allow you to run a 9.x.2 or 7.x.4 system. 9.x.2 would be the regular 7 channels, plus a pair of heights (overheads), plus a pair of wides. The 7.x.4 option would be the regular 7 channels, plus two pairs of heights (overheads).
post #185 of 208 Old 01-07-16, 12:09 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
It isn't perfectly clear what the white squares indicate, but according to the manual you can connect up to four subs to the unit. And they advertise it as a 9.2 receiver. So my suspicion is that Sub 1 and the corresponding jack in the white square represent one sub "channel" (the two connectors are the equivalent of an external Y-connector), while Sub 2 and the white-squared jack below it are the other sub "channel." I also suspect that they are different channels only with regard to being able to set distances and levels differently on each set of jacks. At any rate, those white-squared jacks are only for sub channels.

The receiver has nine channels of amplification, and so could run a 7.x.2 or a 5.x.4 system without external amplification. Adding the two-channel amplifier will allow you to run a 9.x.2 or 7.x.4 system. 9.x.2 would be the regular 7 channels, plus a pair of heights (overheads), plus a pair of wides. The 7.x.4 option would be the regular 7 channels, plus two pairs of heights (overheads).
Which brings me to my last question; With the Atmos track information you said above, would you prefer mounting the wides high for a compromise between high and wide, or would you still go four ceilings?

Watt, me worried?
post #186 of 208 Old 01-07-16, 12:26 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Keeping in mind that I don't have an Atmos system myself (waiting to move to a new house sometime this year before diving in to Atmos) . . . but I have done a ton of reading on the subject.

First of all, if you go with 9.1.2 (with wides), you should definitely have the wides at about the same height as the front left and right. That's where the Atmos renderer expects them to be and sounds will be sent to them accordingly.

As far as 9.1.2 vs 7.1.4, there are opinions on both sides of course, but it seems like the general consensus of people using Atmos is that 7.1.4 is a better choice than 9.1.2 (assuming you can place speakers according to Dolby's spec in both cases). Having said that, I would suggest experimenting with both if you are able to before doing the final installation. If that is impractical, I would suggest installing for 7.1.4 and being prepared to add wides when there are affordable receivers that can do 9.1.4.

What's this thread about again!?
post #187 of 208 Old 01-08-16, 11:01 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:

What's this thread about again!?
Haha. I joined the thread lamenting how I was just about to pull the trigger on some LV12Rs. Now look what I've done. I'm going back to Onkyo to nail down the specifics on the receiver.

I return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Watt, me worried?
post #188 of 208 Old 01-08-16, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
Haha. I joined the thread lamenting how I was just about to pull the trigger on some LV12Rs. Now look what I've done. I'm going back to Onkyo to nail down the specifics on the receiver.

I return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
When you're ready, why not post a new thread specifically for your situation? That would allow everyone to focus on those circumstances.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #189 of 208 Old 09-23-16, 11:11 PM
Shackster

After reading this thread and the review a few times, I think I want this sub. Do the folks that own it still like it?
post #190 of 208 Old 09-26-16, 01:44 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
scorpion_pepper wrote: View Post
After reading this thread and the review a few times, I think I want this sub. Do the folks that own it still like it?
Unequivocally YES!!!

I've had this sub for 3 + years now and my jaw still hits the ground when watching movies... The bass is punchy, tight, and articulate and capable of bass slapping you provided the room you put it in is not overly big.

Last night, I started watching Captian America: Civil War on BluRay later in the evening but stopped half way through because my wife went to bed. This flick as some serious chest pounding bass!!. One of the scenes with this insane bass is when the motor cycle gets snatched from its rider in mid air by one of the characters (forgot who ) . That scene hit hard and I felt it squarely in the chest.
scorpion_pepper likes this.