Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

8Likes

post #61 of 208 Old 09-17-13, 10:54 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
Nice! Love the comment about the empty can. Sounds pretty impressive. That's cool that a single 12" sub can do all that. How big is your room? I've been wanting to DIY boxes for a pair of F15HP clones and it sounds like I won't have an output problem! Thanks.

Here's the room dimensions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 208 Old 09-18-13, 01:44 AM
Shackster

Hey 3db, can you measure your LV12R's depth (both with the grill on & off) as I have seen a couple of conflicting depth measurements and I would like to double check.................THANKS!
post #63 of 208 Old 09-18-13, 08:02 AM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: My review of the Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Just wait until it's broken in some more, things get better. Glad everything worked out so well for you.
Thanks Jim. As musical as the PSB is, the LV-R12 is much better.
post #64 of 208 Old 09-18-13, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
D Bone wrote: View Post
Hey 3db, can you measure your LV12R's depth (both with the grill on & off) as I have seen a couple of conflicting depth measurements and I would like to double check.................THANKS!
You can check the measurements in my review of the LV12R. I always publish my own -- and not what's on the manufacturers website -- so those should be pretty accurate. I don't account for knobs though, so add maybe an inch or so for those. The grill is about an inch thick as well, so you can subtract that from my numbers to know how deep the cabinet itself is.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #65 of 208 Old 09-18-13, 09:46 AM
Shackster

Thanks J

You list the depth at 18.75" (including grill) and that might work for me, even with the rear port. Trying to decide between this and a PSA XS15.

Last edited by D Bone; 09-18-13 at 09:56 AM.
post #66 of 208 Old 09-20-13, 02:56 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Quote:
D Bone wrote: View Post
Thanks J

You list the depth at 18.75" (including grill) and that might work for me, even with the rear port. Trying to decide between this and a PSA XS15.
I'm deciding between these two as well. I have an XV15 right now but I'm selling it to my brother who has a huge room and I need to downsize a bit. Most likely going with the LV12R because my usage is about 90% movies.
post #67 of 208 Old 09-27-13, 12:30 AM
Shackster

Has anybody paired these with other brand of subs? I want to add some budget subs to the back of my home theater 5.1. I have two lv12's up front but want to balance the bass all the way around. Plus have a some rocking bass!!!!!!

musicguy
post #68 of 208 Old 09-27-13, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
musicguy wrote: View Post
Has anybody paired these with other brand of subs? I want to add some budget subs to the back of my home theater 5.1. I have two lv12's up front but want to balance the bass all the way around. Plus have a some rocking bass!!!!!!
I would suggest you reconsider that. Integrating disparate subwoofers is not for the faint of heart, and can often be an exercise in futility.

The LV12R -- like all subwoofers -- has it's own sound signature. While it may only differ from another unit in subtle ways, it will be different nonetheless. That by itself can cause uneven sound, but we're only at the beginning. No budget subwoofer will play as deep as the LV12R, which means they'll reach their respective limits at different frequencies. Not good for sound quality. The port tuning won't match either, meaning the budget subs will "unload" their driver far sooner than the LV12R. Add to that the need to properly level match subwoofers with different output potentials and you have quite a complex challenge.

If you want to increase output it would really be better to stick with another LV12R.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #69 of 208 Old 09-28-13, 09:57 AM
Senior Shackster

steve

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
I would suggest you reconsider that. Integrating disparate subwoofers is not for the faint of heart, and can often be an exercise in futility.

The LV12R -- like all subwoofers -- has it's own sound signature. While it may only differ from another unit in subtle ways, it will be different nonetheless. That by itself can cause uneven sound, but we're only at the beginning. No budget subwoofer will play as deep as the LV12R, which means they'll reach their respective limits at different frequencies. Not good for sound quality. The port tuning won't match either, meaning the budget subs will "unload" their driver far sooner than the LV12R. Add to that the need to properly level match subwoofers with different output potentials and you have quite a complex challenge.

If you want to increase output it would really be better to stick with another LV12R.
^^^+1
post #70 of 208 Old 10-30-13, 12:26 AM
Shackster
Pilk

About to jump into the LV12R dual sub world. I've shopped it a bunch but the servo technology along with dual ported subs really appeals to me. I have dual sealed (10's) and they were fine for music but the impact wasn't always there when I wanted it. I should have things up and running for thanksgiving if all goes well. Thanks for all the replies to this thread and to the original review.