Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

8Likes

post #71 of 208 Old 10-30-13, 09:00 AM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread

Quote:
Pilk wrote: View Post
About to jump into the LV12R dual sub world. I've shopped it a bunch but the servo technology along with dual ported subs really appeals to me. I have dual sealed (10's) and they were fine for music but the impact wasn't always there when I wanted it. I should have things up and running for thanksgiving if all goes well. Thanks for all the replies to this thread and to the original review.
Congrats. The LV12R is an awesome sub in every respect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 208 Old 10-30-13, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
About to jump into the LV12R dual sub world. I've shopped it a bunch but the servo technology along with dual ported subs really appeals to me. I have dual sealed (10's) and they were fine for music but the impact wasn't always there when I wanted it. I should have things up and running for thanksgiving if all goes well. Thanks for all the replies to this thread and to the original review.
Congrats on your new purchase! After you have them broken in and tuned be sure to come back and post your impressions. Others will benefit from your insight.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #73 of 208 Old 11-06-13, 03:17 PM
Shackster
Pilk

About the pull the trigger here as my mains are getting picked up this weekend. My room is 18x12x9 (about 2000cuft). I've always thought duals are the way to go. My placement is limited to the screen wall just inside my L/R towers. I'm wondering if a single would be adequate in this room for HT and music. Duals would be setting about 7-8 feet apart on the screen wall vs. center placement for a single. (Is that 7-8 feet enough to smooth out the response making the duals a better option?)

I've even considered the F25 as an option but the price quickly gets close to 1600 with shipping. So;

Single LV12R $589
Dual LV12r 1060
Single 15" Rythmik 1000-1200 depending on the model.
are my options. Thoughts...comments. Thanks.
post #74 of 208 Old 11-20-13, 10:50 PM
Shackster

I am planning to pull the trigger and order a sub this eve. I have read Jims LV12R review and it sounds awesome.

I have one question, can the HSU VTF-2 MK4 be compared to it equally? everything I seem to read gives it great musicality. Last SVS has a PC12-NSD available in their outlet for 699 shipped, making it an extra $100 over the LV12R and HSU which are 589 and 596 shipped, I realize it is a cylinder style but I think I can get away with it with the WAF, But if we leave it out would one be as happy with the HSU as Rhythmik in an approx 2800cu sq ft room 15x19x 9 or 10?

I can not go duals or any more money than 699 for now, so if one of these is not enough I will have to add a second later or just accept what it is, 50% movies the balance music and TV trance,chill and classic rock as well as reggae
post #75 of 208 Old 11-21-13, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

I've never heard the VTF-2 myself, so unfortunately I can't comment on it directly. From what I've read it's a nice sub though. Knowing what the LV12R is capable of makes me believe the HSU would be hard pressed to surpass it; it may match the Rythmik's abilities, but I'm not sure about exceeding them.

The cylinder style of subwoofer will often have a bit deeper bass, and may even be able to play a little louder. A lot of that is due to the increased internal volume of the enclosure, as well as the extra length of the tuned port. But the trade-off is that you have what appears to be a carpeted water heater in your living room, something not aesthetically pleasing to many. That's a personal preference though, and varies by individual.

-Jim

post #76 of 208 Old 12-04-13, 08:29 AM
Shackster
Pilk

Just ordered duals yesterday. Should be up and running before next weekend. I will post my impressions once I've had a chance to set up and run some music and movies. Great info on this thread and thanks to JMan. I was on the fence between 3-4 options and re-read his review and that flipped the switch.
post #77 of 208 Old 12-04-13, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

You're very welcome - I'm glad I was able to assist. And congrats on your new toys! We look forward to your impression of them, but I suspect I already know what you're going to say...

-Jim

post #78 of 208 Old 12-04-13, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Just ordered duals yesterday. Should be up and running before next weekend. I will post my impressions once I've had a chance to set up and run some music and movies. Great info on this thread and thanks to JMan. I was on the fence between 3-4 options and re-read his review and that flipped the switch.
I have duals. I think you will be pleased.
post #79 of 208 Old 12-14-13, 08:56 PM
Shackster
Pilk

Ok...got my dual LV12R's running. After a few evenings playing with them and switching out some mains they're just about what I was hoping for. Seamless for music...and I mean all kinds of music, from Steel Drivers to Joe Bonamassa to 'you name it'.

I ran the Rythmiks according to the set up sheet with LFE, crossover at 80, mains to small, bass to subs only. Amp is a Yamaha RXV2700. Mainly listened in 2.1 but also ran some 7.1 stereo.

I played them with a set of Martinlogan Motion 12's that I picked up a month ago. I'm not sure they I'm a big fan of the folded motion tweeter...seems a bit hot for my tastes with too much SSSSSS on vocals and the tweeters get a little harsh at higher volumes. The Rythmiks played very nicely with them but I had a hard time taming the tweeters on the ML's. There's a fullness to the ML's but I think they might have over reached with the tweeters.

I had a set of Zaph Audio 5.3c's that I've used for HT use. I hooked them for a few hours. I actually preferred the upper end of the Zaph's to the ML's but the Zaph's are a bit shy on the midbass and felt the blend with the subs got a little weaker.

Finally, I dug out my Infinity SL40 vintage 1993 just for kicks. Wouldn't you know it, I had the best speakers sitting in a closet, untouched for 6 years because, certainly, better stuff has come along since 1993. I set these on top of the Rythmiks because, for a floor stander, they're a bit short and the stage dropped a bit. Man...was a nice combo. Not sure what it is but those two were so easy to listen to. Low volume, SPL...didn't matter...they just kept singing. I may have to refresh my knowledge of the SL40's to see why I like them so much.

I have yet to throw in a movie...that's tomorrow. I'll update then, but so far I'm happy. I probably could have ponied up another $1500-2000 for a pair of bigger Rythmiks but I think this will do.
post #80 of 208 Old 12-15-13, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

I'm glad they worked out so well for you. I think as time goes on you'll come to appreciate there capabilities even more.

-Jim