Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer Discussion Thread

96K views 207 replies 41 participants last post by  3dbinCanada 
#1 ·
Rythmik LV12R​
By Jim Wilson (theJman)

To quote the oft repeated line from the famous (infamous?) ring announcer Michael Buffer; are you ready to rummmmble?. You had better be if you buy the Rythmik LV12R, because it certainly is. This subwoofer combines power, depth and poise in equal parts. It's on the large side, and a bit generic in appearance, but for sound quality it's the yardstick to use when measuring any subwoofer costing less than $600. The Rythmik LV12R is nothing short of amazing, and well worth the asking price.

For the full review Click Here

See less See more
#2 ·
Great review -- thanks. I've been intending to DIY boxes for a pair of F15HP clones for quite some time now, in a room about the same size as yours, and it appears from this review of the most entry-level Rythmik that I will not be disappointed. And congrats to Rythmik for making even an inexpensive, accessible sub worthy of such a great review on audio quality.

#3 ·
I very seriously doubt you'll be disappointed, especially if you're going to have dual F15HP's in a room that size. Make sure all your pictures are secured properly, otherwise they may end up on the floor... :D

#4 ·
About to find out how amazing the LV12R is - mine is sitting at UPS waiting for me to pick it up tomorrow! Jman's review pushed me over the edge on choosing it - great review!

Since I'm replacing a 10" BIC sub which fried the amp after 7 years - I will probably be thoroughly impressed. I've been bass-less since March, so looking forward to it - a lot!

#5 ·
Another fantastic review Jim. I've been waiting for this one for a while now. It really has me interested in what this thing can do for such a low price.

Also, while measurements and charts are helpful, I really enjoy your writing style and how you relate everything to the casual observer/listener. It really makes your reviews enjoyable and worth the read.

#8 · (Edited)
Yo JIM!!! Thanks for this review!!

I am a huge fan of these LV12r's!! I own two as I type and I got to say for the release sales price of $500 each I could not be happier!
These really made my sub sq much better as I knew I was missing something with my previous subs that I owned. Either way, no regrets and if anyone does decided to plunge and get these, give them time to break in. They really, really will open up and not just the SQ gets better (due to the servo sub), but the SPL on these are very accurate and tight!! My movie watching is so much more tame and in control.

Bravo!!

#9 ·
First impression - WOW.

Ran YPAO and tweaked a few things and not even broken in yet, it's amazing what a change there is with a good sub. The sub brings a presence to things that's just huge. My wife even commented on the movie I am playing with (Inception), "their voices sound like they are right here". I thought the system sounded good before, but now it's, well, to use the Rythmik word - "articulate". It's brought an immediate competence to the system.

OK, the train just went down the street - awesome!

Right now, I'm thinking money well spent. I am loving it. Will give it a run for awhile and retune in a bit.

#11 · (Edited)
A really nice review. I like the style you chose to present in... less geeky and more down to earth description based. After all anyone can go to the website if they wish to see more graphs and specs.

Okay so let me testify:
Yes, the Rythmik's Direct Servo application really does clean up the bass. I've had two F12s for just about 4 years now. They ooze quality in every way... both in build and sound and Brian's service to the customer, both before and after the sale, is legendary. He even helped me... encouraged me... to perform an optional mod a while back (sent me the resistors with instructions etc)... he is an EE. He's a honest business man and a knowledgeable guy who stands behind his product... seems to be fewer and fewer of those type around these days. Back when I purchased my first F12, I thought I was taking a gamble by not having heard a Rythmik before but from reading all the reviews I could find at the time I noticed no one had anything bad to say about Rythmiks so... I took the plunge. When I got it set up and properly integrated into my system, I took the time to carefully listen to music I was quite familiar with and I was simply amazed... so much so I turned around and ordered a second F12 the same day. I'd never heard bass so clean before... I'm not an SPL kinda guy, I'm a SQ-oriented guy that likes everything to sound as real as possible. However I will say that I find the strength of this Direct Servo application to be found mainly in the range below 60Hz and I believe Brian would also agree with me. Above 80Hz its contribution is not really noticeable over the non-servo competition. Eventually after trying a number of set-up iterations in my theater, I've settled on using the F12s as ULF units and I now use dedicated mid-bass units. For awhile now I've been a proponent of splitting up the traditional subwoofer bass frequency range in two to be delivered by units dedicated to each range... that's just me and with the ultra-clean sound of the Direct Servo in the lower freqs the Rythmiks are the natural choice.

The F12 is a sealed design but from what I've read about all of Brian's ported models, they appear to not differ in SQ from the sealed models. The only change I would make if I had it to do over again is I would have purchased the 15" instead. Brian had suggested from the outset that I wait for the F15s to arrive but at the time the wait was 3-4 months out and I simply couldn't have waited that long. I didn't know if a single 12" 300-watter could cut it in a 2100 cu-ft basement but I was willing to give it a try... as I've said, I'm not really an SPL kinda guy. We generally watch movies about 10dB below reference which is plenty loud really... I just really need to have everything sounding as authentic/accurate as possible. The single F12 was actually enough to pressurize my basement theater without compressing at the bottom end but I know from past experience that my room's acoustics really demanded two subs for better freq smoothing in the 80-30Hz range so that was really why I got the second one.

Usually whenever I hear some one knocking the Rythimk, its either an SPL guy (you know the kind that thinks a home subwoofer is supposed to sound like the one in his "boom-boom" ride... all SPL and no quality or depth) or someone who's never actually heard a Rythmik. You'll wanna take comments from those type guys with a grain of salt.

#12 ·
A really nice review. I like the style you chose to present in... less geeky and more down to earth description based. After all anyone can go to the website if they wish to see more graphs and specs.
Thank you. I'm glad you found the review beneficial. From the very beginning I wanted to write in a manner that differed from what most others were doing, and that meant conversational as opposed to technical. I do try and present a balance, but I lean more towards descriptive accounts than objective ones. Thus far it has served me well, and the vast majority of comments have been positive, so I don't envision changing my style going forward.

#14 ·
:hsd:Fantastic review J. Love the way you write your reviews and really explain everything where an amateur can understand, like myself. By the way TEN is my fav Pearl Jam CD as well. Maybe one day I can get a LV, but right now the OSD is a rockin'! Keep up the great great great work. :4stars::clap::T

#16 ·
Hi,are there any companies making cabinets for subwoofers other than Parts Express. I am not very good at wood working but I can put a speaker together and stain it if need be. I see that Rythmic offers several subwoofer kit's but nothing about cabinet's. I wouldn't mind assembling 2 kit's or should I just keep saving my pennies and buy the finished rythmic product?

#21 ·
Jim, I know you really like the LVR-12. The other two well thought of subs at this price point are the HSU VTF2MK4 and the SVS PB1000. Since you also reviewed the SVS, could you offer any comments on how the LVR12 compared in your home and system to the SVS PB1000 with respect to musicality, deep bass extension and volume. Thanks....

#22 ·
I would have to give the edge to the LV-12R in all of the areas you mentioned. At $500 the PB-1000 is almost impossible to beat - especially given SVS's unique Bill Of Rights - but for volume, depth and musical ability I would personally take the Rythmik. The size is concerning, because it's not small, but for me that would be the biggest (no pun intended) drawback.

#23 ·
Jim....thanks for the quick response.... In my case, I'm more interested in music then HT and my mains are the Tekton Lores which are about -3db around 35hz. The LV12R is physically about as large as I would want to go...smaller would be ok.

Im running Tekton Lores through a Parasound 2100 and Crown XLS2000( which has high pass and low pass filter capability) so, I would either cross at 50 or 60....or maybe even run the Lores full range.

Trying to read between the lines, am I also correct in surmising that you would give a slight edge to the LV12R over the Atlantic 444SB. Or might there even be something else I've missed and should consider?

#29 ·
That's a bit more difficult to answer because the 444SB turned out to be a very impressive subwoofer for music. How large is your room? The output potential of the Rythmik exceeds the 444SB - as does the overall depth - but depending upon your room size and musical preferences those qualities may be of less concern.

Since you're starting to look in the $1000 range perhaps the Rythmik F15 or E15HP might be more to your liking. Both are close in price to the 444SB, but will offer more depth and output then the AT sub could provide.

#25 · (Edited)
Jim (or anyone else who may have input),

I've spent many hours the past several days looking at different subs, many times feeling like I've found the one only to find something else that made me change me mind. Perfect example, Def Tech Supercubes, which looked great and have good reviews and I was about to pull the trigger on until I realized they don't do well below 30Hz, something that is hidden by the fact they don't publish full specs. While there's not much on the LV12R since it's so new, I have to say your review and positive comments on its predecessor and Rythmik in general really have me leaning toward it. I do have some concerns though and want to be sure I make the best purchase I can for the money.

My situation is as follows: My living room is open to the kitchen and dining room, as well as a double-wide stairway (split-level house, stairs go halfway down, turn 180 degrees, and go the rest of the way down) and a hallway. To make matters worse, the ceiling is vaulted. Not counting the hallway or the space down the stairs, which are separated from the living room by a half-height wall between them and the couch, the living/dining room and kitchen are ~8,000+ cubic feet. What I'm looking for is a sub that will provide deep bass primarily for movies/TV (and I watch a lot of sci-fi, fantasy, action, etc). I want it to sound and feel great. Music isn't very important to me, I'm not that picky, though of course I do want it to sound good. I, like you, prefer quality to quantity. Currently I'm using an Onkyo TX-SR607 to run Polk Audio RM6750 speakers with the included subwoofer. Because of this, pretty much any of the subs I'm looking at will be a huge step up, so ultimately I'm sure I'd be happy with any of them. Still, I'd obviously rather get the best for a given amount of money.

Here are the subs I'm considering:

Rythmik LV12R: $589
SVS PB12-NSD: $769
Hsu VTF-3 MK4: $750 (sale, reg $800)

I don't have a set budget. I'd like to not spend a fortune, and ideally keep it to the price range of the above, but am not totally against going outside of it. A big factor for me is the size: I don't want a massive box taking up a lot of space, and the larger it is, the less likely I will be able to position it perfectly, so while it would probably be ideal for me I'm not interested in a 15" or dual box or anything like that. I may after some time add a second one, though. Speaking of which, how important is it for them to both be the same (brand, model)? I'm thinking of maybe one of the compact SVS subs for the second one as that may be all I'd have room for.

Obviously the Rythmik is by far the cheapest option of the three, so I'm wondering how the performance compares. If it's similar, the Rythmik is a no-brainer, so my question is are they close or do one or both of the others outperform it by more than a small margin making it worth the extra cost? And do you think I would be happy with them considering my situation? Finally, how important is it to have ~1' of space between the back of the Rythmik and the wall, and could it be turned 90 degrees instead?

#30 ·
I've spent many hours the past several days looking at different subs, many times feeling like I've found the one only to find something else that made me change me mind. Perfect example, Def Tech Supercubes, which looked great and have good reviews and I was about to pull the trigger on until I realized they don't do well below 30Hz, something that is hidden by the fact they don't publish full specs.
You can take solace in the fact that what you're experiencing is not at all uncommon; the more you learn the more you realize there is to learn. It's the nature of the beast...

My situation is as follows: My living room is open to the kitchen and dining room, as well as a double-wide stairway (split-level house, stairs go halfway down, turn 180 degrees, and go the rest of the way down) and a hallway. To make matters worse, the ceiling is vaulted. Not counting the hallway or the space down the stairs, which are separated from the living room by a half-height wall between them and the couch, the living/dining room and kitchen are ~8,000+ cubic feet. What I'm looking for is a sub that will provide deep bass primarily for movies/TV (and I watch a lot of sci-fi, fantasy, action, etc). I want it to sound and feel great. Music isn't very important to me, I'm not that picky, though of course I do want it to sound good. I, like you, prefer quality to quantity.

Here are the subs I'm considering:

Rythmik LV12R: $589
SVS PB12-NSD: $769
Hsu VTF-3 MK4: $750 (sale, reg $800)

I don't have a set budget. I'd like to not spend a fortune, and ideally keep it to the price range of the above, but am not totally against going outside of it. A big factor for me is the size: I don't want a massive box taking up a lot of space, and the larger it is, the less likely I will be able to position it perfectly, so while it would probably be ideal for me I'm not interested in a 15" or dual box or anything like that. I may after some time add a second one, though. Speaking of which, how important is it for them to both be the same (brand, model)? I'm thinking of maybe one of the compact SVS subs for the second one as that may be all I'd have room for.
Your budget, requirements and environment are at odds with each other; there is simply no way a single 12" subwoofer will be able to handle that volume of space. A pair might get you to a usable level, but a single unit will be rendered mute unfortunately. Since your main objective is "a sub that will provide deep bass primarily for movies/TV" you're looking at a minimum of two 15" subwoofers, but realistically a pair of 18" is probably going to be required I'm afraid. Large space = large subwoofers, which is an immutable law of physics. I honestly don't envision how you'll be able to achieve your primary goal given those circumstances. You may have to re-think this before proceeding.

#26 ·
I spent many hours over 1 1/2 months looking at the $500-800 range in subs, back in May.

I have a home setup that is somewhat similar to yours - the system is against a wall, and the half cathedral ceiling goes up and away from that wall. It also opens to a dining area at the far end. It also has a hallway branching away - that includes the continued high ceiling. It's an acoustic mess.

I don't know the cubic volume, I didn't use it as a consideration.

I considered the following subs:

SVS PB12-NSD
HSU VTF-3 MK4
Outlaw LFM-1EX
Rythmik LV-12R
HSU VTF-2 MK4
SVS PB-1000

Despite my budget, I don't believe in filling it just because I can. I really wanted to feel good about my choice.

After a LONG period of consideration, I chose the LV12R on its specs, reviews and the servo technology. Its promise of good musicality and good HT performance was a good part of it too, and I feel its very true. I am totally happy with it.

The Rythmik has tons of great bass for home theater - I love it. Before this I had a little 10" BIC sub that burned up its amp. On retuning the system (Yamaha RX-V663), the sound really came alive. The much flatter and lower response of the Rythmik actually improved the sound of the entire system (any good sub would have), and it contributes to my level of sound happiness with the Rythmik.

I did not feel then, nor do I feel now that I went with a lesser sub by choosing the Rythmik. It's a totally great speaker and I would choose it again. And it only helps that it's cheaper than the rest!

Good luck in your quest!

An aside - I don't feel the need for a second sub (the space I have would make that a challenge anyway!) - this thing puts out more than enough for me!

#27 ·
Thanks for the response hemingray. I posted the same question on avsforum and everyone there is telling me I need to go to a 15" minimally and two 15" subs ideally. While I'm sure I do to get maximum effect, I'm just not sure if I personally need that. I'd hate to get a single 12" sub and find it lacking, but then I'd also hate to spend over twice as much, have two big boxes taking up space, and find it to be overkill. I'm really torn. I'm kind of leaning toward the PSA XV15 right now, and they even discount if you get two. I think I'm going to need to call the various companies and get their input.

I have a couple other questions to add: It's been made clear to me over at avs that mixing different brand subs is a bad idea, but what about different models from the same manufacturer? Also, since two subs apparently have 4x the output of 1, it would seem two 12" ones should be plenty, even for my cubic footage, and 15" unnecessary. Is this correct, or is my logic flawed? Of course, I realize it's all relative as well, as everybody's expectations are different. My final question is since I watch most of my content from Netflix, Hulu, and mp4 rips of my movies/tv shows, and therefore the audio is compressed and likely lacking much of the LFE content of a blu-ray, would I be wasting my money on a high-end sub setup?

#31 ·
vertigo_2_20 - What you have been hearing is correct. There is little to no chance of you being able to pressurize 8,000+ cubic feet with a single or even dual 12" subwoofers.

I would suggest dual Rythmik FV15HP or dual PSA XV15 at minimum, with an eye to adding one or two more in the future. Or as Jman suggested, dual 18" subs.

Feel free to start a thread here in the Home Audio Subwoofers forum to get some more ideas and recommendations.

My final question is since I watch most of my content from Netflix, Hulu, and mp4 rips of my movies/tv shows, and therefore the audio is compressed and likely lacking much of the LFE content of a blu-ray, would I be wasting my money on a high-end sub setup?
Subs greatly enhance my Netflix experience, I would miss them if they were gone!

#28 ·
I would not gauge the quality of the LV12r buy the price. Its helps with the purchase. They far exceed their price in quality.

I also own a F12 from Rythmik. It has more options than The Lv12r. It does movies really good but you have to watch your set up. Its a sealed system and will bottom out sooner. As i found out on Star Wars III. I use the F12 only for music only now.

The 2 LV12r's give me more dynamics and slam. From everything i have read, ported subs do this better for HT. But The LV12r never gets muddy or boomy. Im still learning how to set them up. So far my findings are, They sound tight, dynamic and easy to blend with my mains.
Compared to my 1000 dollar REL T1. The LV12r wipes the floor with it. (I compared them 1 on 1, i just received my second LV12R this week, Thanks Ascend Audio) The T1 sounded dull, muddy and really hard to blend in.

Just my .2 cents. :nerd:

#33 ·
:hissyfit: I feel the pain of a large room. I'm trying to figure out what to do with ~6500 Cu Ft. (glad I don't have 8,000...no offense :D).

So based on another excellent JMAN review, I was sold on the RV12R, so I contacted Rythmic today and one of their techs said 2 RV12Rs would work in my space. So I look at JMAN's review again this evening and...oh, those are BIG subs. :yikes: WAF is going to be an issue! :help: I don't know what to do now...:dontknow:

#34 ·
So based on another excellent JMAN review, I was sold on the RV12R, so I contacted Rythmic today and one of their techs said 2 RV12Rs would work in my space. So I look at JMAN's review again this evening and...oh, those are BIG subs. :yikes: WAF is going to be an issue! :help: I don't know what to do now...:dontknow:
Unfortunately big rooms mandate big subs, or a lot of smaller subs. There's really nothing that can be done about that I'm afraid - it's the nature of the beast. You could get a pair of smaller sealed subwoofers, but they would need to be powerful (which means expensive). For example, a pair of Rythmik E15HP's might work, but they cost more. And the size isn't really all that different. Given how large your room is I think ported is still the better option.

#35 ·
Yeah that is the downside for sure, but worth it if you like the open floor plan. I should have measured my old VA-1020x prior to posting and compared the measurements. Your are right, it's really not that much bigger...it sure looked a lot bigger due to its' shape. The VA is more square (~19x19x17). The LV12R is narrower, taller, and a bit deeper...and yeah it does look a bit generic, which may another WAF issue. I guess I need to make a decision and run with it, then take the verbal abuse :):boxer::rant:

#36 ·
I guess I need to make a decision and run with it, then take the verbal abuse :):boxer::rant:
Yup, Always easier to ask for forgiveness then to get permission. :bigsmile:

#37 ·
I'm going to be ordering an LV-R12 in the next couple of weeks. I'm getting so excited about having a sub that will extend into the 20Hz region.

#42 ·
By 'Data' site, are you referring to data-bass.com? If so, I agree; it would be nice for Josh to test one. I don't really have any say/involvement with his site though, so I'm not in the position to influence that I'm afraid.

Josh does things a bit differently then most; manufacturers submit a sub to him for evaluation - he doesn't actually contact them and request one - so it's more of a "push" than "pull" situation. There's also a fee involved for his services, which some are reticent to pay. Ultimately it would be nice to see, especially for those of us wanting to compare the LV12R directly to the PB12-NSD, so hopefully they (meaning Brian and Josh) can work something out.

#43 ·
Yes maybe so at some time down the road, we never know. That being that, I would like to try one out just for kicks but shipping costs so much. (I know free one way to me) Now one has to think twice before doing so. :spend: The last sub I did that with is still in my possession due to it’s not worth it anymore to buy and sell in a few weeks. It really seems like the LVR is a great sub for the price though. I now wish I would have bought the LVR instead of what I bought since it would have been nice to have on hand. Might I ask if you sold yours or did you ad it to your collection?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.