Testing the water; help me get a SUB! - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 33 Old 01-08-08, 02:38 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
Re: Testing the water; help me get a SUB!

Something just doesn't seem right... look at the differences between these subs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 Old 01-08-08, 03:02 PM
Banned!

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Something just doesn't seem right... look at the differences between these subs:
You mean that there's only 1 point of difference between the two according to that chart on AVS? I get the impression that those numbers were subjective, but I could be wrong. Are these objective in some way?
post #23 of 33 Old 01-08-08, 03:10 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Yeah... why only 1 point difference? Supposedly the tests were done blind.

Quote:
Listening procedures:

All listening us done under blind conditions. The panel of listeners include several very experienced audiophiles, some of whom also design and build high end pro audio speakers. The subwoofers were each placed in the identical room position, and eq'ed to have a farly flat (3 dB window) response curve from 18 Hz and up, when the subwoofer was able to go that "low".

Measuring procedures: All measurements are taken at 2 meters from the front baffle of a subwoofer. In the case of a ported sub, the microphone is placed so it is 2 meters from the center of the driver(s) and port. The posted measured results are max "clean" 20 Hz output and the average from 20 to 63 Hz. If it seemed like the amp was the limiting factor in output, "AL" is added to the 20 Hz SPL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #24 of 33 Old 01-08-08, 03:12 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

And this is not meant to get off topic about the testing, but rather to help Mike decide on which sub will be best for him.

post #25 of 33 Old 01-08-08, 03:20 PM
Banned!

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
And this is not meant to get off topic about the testing, but rather to help Mike decide on which sub will be best for him.
Well 20 subs, so listener fatigue and just plain sound memory would be an issue. Think of the time it would take to EQ 20 subs. Plus, assume that some subs might perform better better in the middle of the room vs. corner, etc. I think subjectively, it would be tough to assign a score. Comparing one to another 1 or 2 maybe, but to another 19?

I don't know.
post #26 of 33 Old 01-08-08, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mike

Quote:
eugovector wrote: View Post
Well 20 subs, so listener fatigue and just plain sound memory would be an issue. Think of the time it would take to EQ 20 subs. Plus, assume that some subs might perform better better in the middle of the room vs. corner, etc. I think subjectively, it would be tough to assign a score. Comparing one to another 1 or 2 maybe, but to another 19?

I don't know.
That's why I love spec's! Test specs, as you mentioned above, I am not stuck on that AVS review, but it seems that the AVS'ers really respect this guy and his test results... as I can say also it's all subjective and personal opinion on brands, but these were suppose to be done w/ spl meters/freq equipment.

I mean... I don't think I can listen to 20 subs and have some pound at my ears at 109db's and then dial it down to 20hz...... my ears would be like !
post #27 of 33 Old 01-08-08, 05:20 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Okay... you threw me off a little then because you were comparing points, not specs. I thought the points were considering the listening that was done, which would mean you were not relying solely on actual tested specs.

Don't forget we have a Subwoofer Tests forum as well and those show the actual graphs from the tests... there is no ranking based on listening. Of course not all the subs you are considering have been tested by Ilkka either.

post #28 of 33 Old 01-09-08, 08:53 AM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr

Quote:
Picture_Shooter wrote: View Post
I am not stuck on that AVS review, but it seems that the AVS'ers really respect this guy and his test results... as I can say also it's all subjective and personal opinion on brands, but these were suppose to be done w/ spl meters/freq equipment.
It has been awhile since I have browsed the AVS subwoofer forum. Do you mean Craigsub's (Craig Chase's) testing. If so, even on AVS, opinions are divided on the rigor of his testing. A lot of knowledgeable users have abandoned the AVS subwoofer forum and gone elsewhere because of the controversies raised.
post #29 of 33 Old 01-14-08, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mike

All -

This morning I was about 2 seconds from hitting to submit button on HSU's website to purchase the VTF2-MK3 and then I did one more soul search for a sub.

I then ran across a brand called Cadence.
I went to the website, read a person review on AVS and PM'd the guy that tested it and his final honest comments. After a small chat by a couple of PMs, I was tempted. I then called Cadence toll free. They answered all my "?'s" and was very helpful.

I settled and purchased the Cadence CSX 15. I'll let you all know what I think.

Here is the site: http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductC...&idproduct=398
Thanks

Last edited by Picture_Shooter; 01-14-08 at 11:05 PM.
post #30 of 33 Old 01-15-08, 08:26 AM
Banned!

Hmm...let us know what you think. Even better if you can do a REW graph when you get it. Those prices are pretty low. $300 for a 12" w/ 350w is around Bic H-100 territory.